FALAA Reissue - possible controversy?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
mh
Above the Chemist

Spotted on Dominion:
listening to the Rhino remaster cd of FALAA for the first time on
headphones (I have enjoyed it a few times played loud through my speakers) and
suddenly realised that it is copied from an original vinyl. Play it really
loud and you can hear this clearly at the end of most songs. Subsequently I do
not believe in the "finally remasted from original masters" claim. Those
were
supposedly lost a long time ago and obviously not found for this particular
release anyway. Play it really loud and you will here it too. Also I think the
mix is kinda buried. Like for example the keybords in Nine While Nine (God
fordid!!!). Listening to like this I must say the older issue (1992 remix) is
still the ultimate cd version of this album.
It's an interesting theory, but I don't completely buy it. The evidence is there, but there are a few other factors. Lost master tapes can be found again, and analog tapes do degrade over time (particularly if left to moulder in a warehouse). To be a bit anal, the "ping" at the start of Marian is only in the left channel on the original vinyl, but in both on this reissue.

I'd also take issue with the final statement. If these mixes are considered "kinda buried", then how come the '92 mixes are not? They're muffled, boomy, plodding and dull. Signal to noise ratio and absolute lack of surface noise are not the only indicators of sound quality.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
NOF
Road Kill

On the title track, there's a swiping noise and a drumbeat when the riff kicks in. Was this on the original vinyl as they weren't there on the 92 version?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Eh? Dominion? Have I unsubbed and forgotten? :lol:

Anyhoo, fwiw I think you're right mh. Something previously lost must have been found for the SKOS early version to surface.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

NOF wrote:On the title track, there's a swiping noise and a drumbeat when the riff kicks in. Was this on the original vinyl as they weren't there on the 92 version?
Short answer: Yes.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
NOF
Road Kill

HA! :notworthy: :innocent:
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

Hehe, everybody loves to play genius. Reminds me of the guy who was telling 100% that in some concert in USA 2006 Andy was just lipsyncing... though more than just playing genius, these kinds of people could be there just to stir up trouble and have people going around in circles in useless debates to keep them distracted.
we've got beer and we've got fuel
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

itnAklipse wrote:Hehe, everybody loves to play genius. Reminds me of the guy who was telling 100% that in some concert in USA 2006 Andy was just lipsyncing... though more than just playing genius, these kinds of people could be there just to stir up trouble and have people going around in circles in useless debates to keep them distracted.
yup :lol:

anyone who thinks the 92 cd is anything other than a muffled soupy mess must be completely mutton jeff :urff:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Badlander
Overbomber

The 2006 remasters sound great. End of. :von:
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
NOF
Road Kill

Must say I do like the 92 reissue. :twisted:
road_kill
Road Kill

NOF wrote:Must say I do like the 92 reissue. :twisted:

I just listen to the vinyl version underwater with cotton wool stuffed in my ears. Much the same effect...
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

not a surprise at all, when you take the booklet, open on page 11 ( not including "cover") you may read :
"Tracks 1 - 10 were originally issued as Merciful Release # 337 (3/85). This 2006 remaster contains the original 1985 mix of the album as issued, which has never previously been available on CD(...)
silentNate
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

The 2006 version is definately best. Might seem a stupid question which has been asked before but why is Black Planet about 15 seconds shorter?
I had a face on the mirror
I had a hand on the gun
I had a place in the sun and a ticket to Syria
paul
Overbomber

Badlander wrote:The 2006 remasters sound great. End of. :von:
Amen :notworthy:
NOF
Road Kill

road_kill wrote:

I just listen to the vinyl version underwater with cotton wool stuffed in my ears. Much the same effect...
And that's what makes it great. :von:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

NOF wrote:
road_kill wrote:

And that's what makes it great. :von:
:lol: :lol: :notworthy:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
sultan2075
Overbomber

silentNate wrote: why is Black Planet about 15 seconds shorter?
Global warming?
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
eotunun
Overbomber

Am I the only one who thinks of the optimum listening modus for the music of a band called "Desaster Area" now?
And yes, Dominion became populated by peeps who think they can tell the color of pubic hair by the sound of its rustle.. :|
There is shadow under this red rock
Syberberg
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

eotunun wrote: And yes, Dominion became populated by peeps who think they can tell the color of pubic hair by the sound of its rustle.. :|
:lol: :lol: :lol: :notworthy:
I don't necessarily agree with everything I think.
Big Si
School Bully

eotunun wrote:Am I the only one who thinks of the optimum listening modus for the music of a band called "Desaster Area" now?
Meet Hot Black Desiato :wink: ;D

Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
James Blast
Banned

Hot Black Desiato Reparazentin! :D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Mistah Blast on emcee duty, inna tru dub stylee? ;D

For what it's worth, I have the 92 CD and a vinyl pressing. I listen to neither really, so I'm not going to shell out for the reissues on the off-chance that they've got a better intro to FALAA.

Anyway, for the best versions, this is all you need:

:von: ;D
eotunun
Overbomber

@Si&Blast!:
That is Rockin'F*ckin'Roll!!!

:lol: x n+1
:notworthy: x n+2
There is shadow under this red rock
anikk
Road Kill

silentNate wrote:The 2006 version is definately best. Might seem a stupid question which has been asked before but why is Black Planet about 15 seconds shorter?
Shorter than on what release??
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Do you really expect anyone to remember a conversation that's two and a half years old? ???

Although I'm guessing shorter than the vinyl?
—Bertrand Russell
anikk
Road Kill

markfiend wrote:Do you really expect anyone to remember a conversation that's two and a half years old? ???

Although I'm guessing shorter than the vinyl?
What's to remember here? If it's shorter, it's still shorter. Shorter to which release? It's not shorter than on the UK 1985 vinyl!
Last edited by anikk on 16 Apr 2010, 10:24, edited 1 time in total.