What does a producer actually do ?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Pat
Slight Overbomber

I tend to refer to records as poorly produced, well produced or over produced but what I'm really refering to is the sound quality, which has more to do with the studio eng knowing how to get the best out of the studio and the quality of the studio .
Mick Jagger was once interviewed after someone ( his name escapes me)successfully sued for production credits on Sympathty for the Devil.
Mick said that everytime the tape rolled this guy was in the booths with them shaking a tambourine and doing backing vocals yet the judge rulled in his favour.
So what does a producer do ?
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

Producers stand in the back of booths, shaking tambourines.
Big Si
School Bully

Wikipedia

Steve Albini refers to himself as a recording engineer, though other people refer to him as a Tw*t ;D
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Pat
Slight Overbomber

nick the stripper wrote:Producers stand in the back of booths, shaking tambourines.
Cracker :notworthy:

@ Big Si cheers, that's one less question to keep me awake at night.
I'll just PM you in future :wink:
paul
Overbomber

Pat wrote:
nick the stripper wrote:Producers stand in the back of booths, shaking tambourines.

Producers have an important role in a music production. Most band go into a studio to record, are very enthousiastic, heard their own songs millions of times etcetera. A producer can give a fresh, unbiases opinion about the music, give options for improvement, fill in blanks or emphasize certain parts. At the end he can give his opinion about the mixed instuments, colour of instruments, balance in music etcetera. Or he can steer the production into a certain direction.

Most producers are chosen because of their experience in and view on a particular music style.
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

paul wrote:
Pat wrote:

Producers have an important role in a music production. Most band go into a studio to record, are very enthousiastic, heard their own songs millions of times etcetera. A producer can give a fresh, unbiases opinion about the music, give options for improvement, fill in blanks or emphasize certain parts. At the end he can give his opinion about the mixed instuments, colour of instruments, balance in music etcetera. Or he can steer the production into a certain direction.

Most producers are chosen because of their experience in and view on a particular music style.

And a good producer can make a band question their abilities and good/bad points over and over again, so that they give the best of themselves in the studio.

The producer is the mirror in front of the band. Shaking a tambourine, most probably ;)

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Big Si
School Bully

Pat wrote:

Maybe I should change my title from The Big Man to Resident Search Engine :wink:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Big Si wrote:
Pat wrote:

Maybe I should change my title from The Big Man to Resident Search Engine :wink:
BigSiPedia, the Gorbal Edition. ;D

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

With good bands extremely little, with most bands, most of the work.

Produced music = s**t.
we've got beer and we've got fuel
paul
Overbomber

itnAklipse wrote: Produced music = s**t.
You mean: over-produced music = s**t
paul
Overbomber

Izzy HaveMercy wrote: The producer is the mirror in front of the band. Shaking a tambourine, most probably ;)

IZ.
If the producer happens to be a good tambourine player and he can add something to the band's production, he must definately do so!

And get royalties for it :lol:
boudicca
Sister Midnight

I think his (why is it never a her?) role is rather questionable, since so many musicians manage to successfully produce their own music :? Having said that, that's not to dismiss them entirely. It's when they take on the role of svengali that I get suspicious...
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

boudicca wrote:I think his (why is it never a her?) role is rather questionable, since so many musicians manage to successfully produce their own music :? Having said that, that's not to dismiss them entirely. It's when they take on the role of svengali that I get suspicious...
To understand the importance of a good producer, you merely have to contrast "Alice" with "Anaconda". Whether or not the producer is a member of the band being produced doesn't really matter, in my opinion, just as long as the end result is good. Phil Spector may have been a gun-wielding maniac with an ego the size of Pink Floyd's stage act, for example, but who would have heard of "Be My Baby" without him?
Zuma
Slight Overbomber

I presume to a huge degree it is helping bands especially new to recording to find a sound in the studio that works and sounds right -

Martin Hannett did wonders for example with New Order..
limur
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Zuma wrote:Martin Hannett
"...over produced by Martin Hannett, take 4..."
...train, crashin' head long into the heartland...

Pushing Good Music #PGM www.livemusicreview.co.uk
James Blast
Banned

or under produced by Martin Rushent, he destroyed Generation X's first album and I will never forgive him for that

I got it home, stuck my t/t on and placed this thin slice of pap over it, an under mixed strangulated sound of Young Britain eminated, it was 'orribble!

their 7"s had fire and power, the album was dreadful :|
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Big Si
School Bully

boudicca wrote:I think his (why is it never a her?) role is rather questionable, since so many musicians manage to successfully produce their own music :? Having said that, that's not to dismiss them entirely. It's when they take on the role of svengali that I get suspicious...
It's often a "her" these days, but "he" is more well known due to being an ex-member of some big selling and popular beat combo :wink:

Besides, how many people want to spend 9 hours or more cooped up in a dank room, stinking of farts and stale beer :wink: ;D
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
rian
Slight Overbomber

Earn "Money for nothing"?

:roll:
I think someone set my soul alight
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Big Si wrote: Besides, how many people want to spend 9 hours or more cooped up in a dank room, stinking of farts and stale beer :wink: ;D
Now now, no-one forces you to come to HL meets, Simon :innocent: :wink: :lol:
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Big Si
School Bully

boudicca wrote:
Big Si wrote: Besides, how many people want to spend 9 hours or more cooped up in a dank room, stinking of farts and stale beer :wink: ;D
Now now, no-one forces you to come to HL meets, Simon :innocent: :wink: :lol:
It does sound rather like a Southside Pub though, don't it? :wink: :twisted: ;D
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
James Blast
Banned

aye, bring back smoking in public places
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
limur
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Big Si wrote:Besides, how many people want to spend 9 hours or more cooped up in a dank room, stinking of farts and stale beer :wink: ;D
Call it three hours and it'll be called a gig...

I'll be there...but after last week, I'm contemplating nose plugs...(how do you ID mr farty man AND TELL HIM...)
...train, crashin' head long into the heartland...

Pushing Good Music #PGM www.livemusicreview.co.uk
James Blast
Banned

Smiley Culture
~ Peter Steele
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

If you head down to the Legion myspace their are 2 tunes on there that illustrate the difference.

Chemical Hands is written and recorded by Legion but produced by myself with cheap gear (One all purpose mic and free recording software).

Rosanna is written and recorded by Legion but has been through the production process by someone with the right kit and the knowhow of sound engineering. The difference is unmistakable.
Nationalise the f**king lot.
James Blast
Banned

I think we're talking "real world" not demo bands ;D
~ Peter Steele