What got you into the Sisters then?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

bushman*pm wrote:Too late, the words daddy's pants and itch spring to mind!
:innocent:
Sadly, 'tis true. But I challenge you to accept the validity of that knowledge when (if?) you see me in person next weekend... ;) :twisted:
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
Dark
Underneath the Rock

I'll colour it if I can. And hey, streamline/JB, what's wrong with spreading some love to people who deserve it? :lol:
James Blast
Banned

Dark wrote:hey, JB, what's wrong with spreading some love to people who deserve it?
call it 256k RAM :|
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Dark wrote:...what's wrong with spreading some love to people who deserve it? :lol:
Nothing. And right back atcha, dude. \m/ ;D :notworthy: :kiss: :von:
bushman*pm
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

SINsister wrote:
bushman*pm wrote:Too late, the words daddy's pants and itch spring to mind!
:innocent:
Sadly, 'tis true. But I challenge you to accept the validity of that knowledge when (if?) you see me in person next weekend... ;) :twisted:
I was merely commenting on HIS youth!
:D
LAND ROVER: THE BEAST FOUR BY FOUR BY FEAR! KICKS THE ARSE OFF RICEBURNERS!
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

...and not my advanced age?! :eek:

Bless you, my dear! ;) :notworthy:

*Shuffles off on her walker*

RIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT. :roll: :von:
Mechascorpio
Road Kill

Apologies in advance for resurrecting this old thread, but it seemed the ideal place to introduce myself (new to the board today).

I discovered the Sisters in 1984 when I was (gulp) 19 in Columbus, Ohio. I picked up the Body and Soul EP simply because I liked the cover, and that was a system that was working for me at the time with 4AD releases. Of course, the book was as good as the cover, and I soon discovered that I'd actually already liked SOM having heard and danced to "Alice" and "Floorshow" -- just didn't know it at the time. I quickly became a Sisters fiend and grabbed all I could find, and pretty much continued to do so through the next decade.

I dropped out of art school in '85 and went to the UK with some friends on a lark, and was lucky enough to catch them (SOM, not my friends) live that spring. Didn't see them live again until '91-ish in Cleveland, then years later in '98 here in San Francisco where I'd moved to. For whatever reason, I was never big on tracking them or the goth scene through the web; I'd pretty much retired my SOM leather jacket in '94, though the MR logo tattooed on my shoulder since '90 was a constant reminder of what I should be listening to. I had a vague knowledge of the whole WEA fallout and SSV thing, but by the late 90s, I was pretty much distracted by Garbage and Shirley Manson's lusty voice and good looks.

Fast forward to the past few weeks when I got a new Zune MP3 player big enough to load onto it everything I have in the way of MP3s, and a rare foray onto the InterBitTubes and ran across Obscure Rarities (or is it Rare Obscurities?), and the intersection of the two has me falling in love and re-discovering them all over again.

Good times, good times. I'm 42 now and my mess of Robert Smith hair has long since fallen out, but the embarrassingly small tattoo still reminds me of what I should be listening to today, not to mention Googling, which is how I found Heartland. ta-da
Robert - San Francisco, CA
GC
Slight Overbomber

42 is quite young for this forum. Welcome
Pat
Slight Overbomber

Hi Mechasorpio welcome onboard.
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

A big Henny Haw to Mechascorpio, brilliant introduction-stick around :D
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
psichonaut
Overbomber

welcome to the fun house...mate
thanks...my Lord...i'm unbeliver
tear up your pants for psicho...and jump on him
Casar
Road Kill

I recall this day rather clearly.

I had been getting some instruments and a porta studio and started recording some stuff. I had recorded a beat over which I sang some chorus from a The The song, which goes in deep barytone. I layered the vocals so it sounded overkill. Then I played it over the phone to a friend and he said: hey, that sounds like sisters of mercy. I thought "oh really?".
My brother came home from school and as he was going to the stores I told him to get anything by the sisters. I got Vision Thing and it became a new start for my musical interests, for years they remained a fav of the highest order, even today although I don´t listen that much on a daily basis as used to for some years. Incidentally I got pretty much into the entire catalogue, stonking or not.
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Welcome to the institution, Mechasorpio! Make yourself at home! After all, it's not like you'll be leaving anytime soon... Muahahaha! :twisted: :lol: ;)
paul
Overbomber

I liked the "blackness" of the sleeve of F&L&A, so I decided to give it a listen... and I was blown away by the dark voice of :von: . I liked The Cure and Siouxsie before that, so to me it was a "logical" step to TSOM.
sziamiau
Slight Overbomber

actually I can't even remember...I was still a young kiddoe..probably in 6th grade or 7th. All I remember is that we had everything on copied tapes..lol..really bad sound and all but hey I am still stuck
vicus
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Ahráyeph wrote:Oddly enough, my first Sisters experience was a two part interview in a comic book magazine in 1984. The first part was with Hussey and Adams, the second one was all Von.
http://www.the-sisters-of-mercy.info/pr ... nl_wc.html
http://www.the-sisters-of-mercy.info/pr ... nl_ae.html
"Am Anfang wurde das Universum erschaffen.
Das machte viele Leute sehr wütend und wurde allenthalben als Schritt in die falsche Richtung angesehen."

http://www.poison-door.net/
Jeremiah
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Well, since this has been brought back up I may as well add my bit.

Like quite a lot of you, I was introduced to the Sisters by...goths.
One year when I visited my cousin (must have been around 88/89,) him and his mates were all into the goth thing.

Of course they played me some of their records, and I didn't think much of them at the time (I didn't really like music at all in those days), but something must have infiltrated my subconscious, because a few months later I was phoning my cousin saying 'what was that record you were playing with something about a flood?'

Next time I was in a city big enough to have a proper record shop, I went looking for them, and while I didn't find exactly what I was looking for, I got a whole bunch of early singles (Anaconda 7" plus Alice, Temple of Love and The Reptile House EP 12"s).

I was a bit shocked at first to find they sounded nothing like Floodland, but a few listens later I realised I loved them too, and the rest, as they say, is history.
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

have i posted on this thread yet?

*thinks*
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
psichonaut
Overbomber

MadameButterfly wrote:have i posted on this thread yet?

*thinks*
maybe 15 years ago :innocent:
thanks...my Lord...i'm unbeliver
tear up your pants for psicho...and jump on him
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

psichonaut wrote:

*thinks*
maybe 15 years ago :innocent:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

No just check by starting on page one thank you!
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

I'd heard one of the Radio 1 sessions (I've always thought it was John Peel but can't be sure) and liked it but never really heard anything more about them, except for the odd review, until This Corrosion. But Dominion was the one that really sold me on them. Went and bought Floodland and was hooked. Started buying everything I could after that. Probably had most of the early stuff within a couple of years.

So, unfortunately, I completely missed the early line-ups and then they stopped touring! Even when they started again, it was still another ten years before they played Scotland, by which time I didn't know they were still around. I only finally got to see them on the Silver Bullet tour. :evil:
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
Memnarch
Road Kill

Couple of years ago. Heard them being mentioned on a few forums so decided to check out all the fuss bus buying floodland. Best £6 ever spent. Now I'm turning into a hard-core collector, eating a hole in my wallet. Being 19 it isn't too good for student finances!
Petseri
Overbomber

*thinks*
Is there a thread in which you have not posted? :innocent:
Pursued By Trees
Road Kill

For me it was the latter end of 86 or maybe early 87 ... sometime after that first m*****n promo had been aired on The Chart Show and I quickly started to investigate goth and similar bands.

The casette of FALAA was my first SOM ... then I picked up all the singles from Anaconda onwards ... they still stocked these in HMV at the time.

I spent what felt like a fair bit of time in York and Sheffield around then and I remember seeing all manner of interesting looking people wandering around ... some in intriguing band-related T-shirts ...

I also remember being very exited at seeing that Melody Maker cover with :von: in the autumn of 87 having not expected any further SOM output.

Ah, those were the days ... the second wave ... FOTN, AAE, Siouxsie, The Cure, Christian Death, The Damned releasing 'Phantasmagoria', Ghostdance ... etc etc etc

Of course ... I guess that the first wave was something else entirely ... many short-lived bands that it would have been great to have been around for.

Nurse! Where are my slippers?
I'm headed for the trees over there
If that's not a destination
I don't care
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Oh, the joy of Sisters singles in HMV!

It was t'Mish on The Tube, not the Chart Show for me, but similar tale otherwise. Can you get my slippers as well please? ;D
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell