Question for drum machine users

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

How does programming a drum machine compare to programming the beats using a software equivalent?

I use the drum software Acoustica Beatcraft. Its easy, the layout is nice and I can "see" what my patterns look like, making it much easier to make an intricate beat. Also, it allows me to sequence patterns into a full song with an easy drag and drop function.

I've never used a drum machine proper, but I can't imagine it could be any easier than that! What are the arguments for a real hardware machine instead of what I use at the moment? And what are the arguments against?
Nationalise the f**king lot.
alice
Amphetamine Filth

Compared to a midi editor on you PC, it's more fun to just bang the beats into your drum machine. I'ts true that it'll probably make less intricate beats, although that depends on the machine you'll get. If you go for a cheapo (or not) vintage one, it'll be pretty straightforward stuff. But the drumboxes these days can make pretty weird stuff too (think Korg Electribe).
I for example own a few oldies for the greatness of these cool analog sounds, and the fun of tapping around on them, and a lot of software, for the more intricate stuff. Midi controllers are a good investment too.....
You can also control your drumbox via your pc (if it's midi), then you can edit patterns on you screen.
paul
Overbomber

I definately prefer programming a drum machine. I programmed several (both ancient and new) models, but I just love tapping on those pads :wink:
alice
Amphetamine Filth

paul
Overbomber

alice wrote:go for yoda !!!

http://lostvectors.com/flash/yoda.html
He's even better than our last human drummer :lol:
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

Well, right now I am settling for using vintage drum sounds in the PC sequencer.

Speaking of which, I used to be able to find sites that offered free downloads of the different drum sounds of most any vintage machines - but now I can't seem to find one!

Anyone know where vintage samples cxan be downloaded? Specially the Oberheim DMX?
Big Si
School Bully

Maisey wrote:Well, right now I am settling for using vintage drum sounds in the PC sequencer.

Speaking of which, I used to be able to find sites that offered free downloads of the different drum sounds of most any vintage machines - but now I can't seem to find one!

Anyone know where vintage samples cxan be downloaded? Specially the Oberheim DMX?
http://www.dubsounds.com/dmx.htm
http://www.electrongate.com/dmxfiles/eproms.html

any use :?:

<--- Resident Search Engine? :roll: ;D
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Syberberg
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Horses for courses really, Maisey. I use Reason for all the drums now. The Redrum Drum Computer's interface and initial programming is very similar to my old Roland TR-707, but if I want to put in each hit individually I can open up the transport window and select the piano roll view and away I go.

As I've not used the TR-707 for years and I'm thinking about selling him, but part of me wants to keep a hold of him, just in case I find a new use for him.
I don't necessarily agree with everything I think.
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

Thanks a bunch to Big Si for the drum samples!

Seems to me, a PC is much more user friendly, but a box has more heart and soul. I'd like to sit down with a proper one at some point, just to get the feel of the thing.
Ed Rhombus
Slight Overbomber

A drum machine/module is always going to sound better live (to my ears anyway)

The sounds being cued in realtime and the ability to split the signal on to separate channels gives the edge over software which tends to sound like a CD
Ed Rhombus

There for you (weather permiting)

www.rhombus-rock.com
https://www.facebook.com/rhombus.uk
smiscandlon
Overbomber

Maisey wrote:heart and soul
You're such an RS kid. :wink: :lol:
&#1072;&#1085;&#1072;&#1088;&#1093;&#1080;&#1103;
robertzombie
Overbomber

What drum machine did they use in the early 90s?

I've looked on the Doktor Avalanche page on the official site but can't find the info :?