how much internet can one company own?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7222114.stm
The Beeb wrote:Microsoft wants to purchase Yahoo

Microsoft has offered to buy the search engine company Yahoo for $44.6bn (£22.4bn) in cash and shares

The offer, contained in a letter to Yahoo's board, is 62% above Yahoo's closing share price on Thursday.

Yahoo cut its revenue forecasts earlier this week and said it would have to spend an additional $300m this year trying to revive the company.

It has been struggling in recent years to compete with Google, which has also been a competitor to Microsoft.
blimey! $44.6bn :o
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Don't they use Google's technology too to search nowadays or was that Altavista? Google itself is worth 'just' $23bn.

Blimey indeed!
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
nowayjose
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Microsoft is becoming more and more erratic. Good.
_emma_
Overbomber

When they buy it, will it be easier to find what one is actually looking for? :lol:
Big Si
School Bully

_emma_ wrote:When they buy it, will it be easier to find what one is actually looking for? :lol:
I thought you lot just asked me?

;D
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
reactiv8

Too much of course!

Can't we put in a bid? :lol:

Shouldn't we be worried about Rio Tinto too? :?
They (The Establishment) use sex as an addiction for control, just as they use alcohol and drugs ...
- A programme of systematic frustration in order to sell this crock of s**t as immortality, a garden of delights and love. ...
cardoman
Slight Overbomber

how much internet can one company own?

so much internet as they own cash...
Was it Alice or our daughter Ellice???
SomeKindOfStranger

an article in a magazine from 2003 has this to say...

The richest man in the world�—the title has a certain ring to it. However, when referring to the current richest man in the world—Bill Gates—we’re speaking of an amount of money beyond normal comprehension.

Because most of his fortune is bound up in his 12.49 per cent share of Microsoft, the computer software company he founded, the figure is somewhat variable, dependant upon the current share price, but a recent estimate puts it at $US35 billion

To acquire such a vast amount of money by age 47 requires earning at an extraordinary rate. Since 1986, when Microsoft was listed as a public company, Gates has made approximately $US65 per second, which works out at an hourly rate of some $US234,000, accumulating at that rate 24/7.

If Bill Gates were to keep his fortune in American $1 notes neatly stacked under his king-size mattress, he would need a parachute to get out of bed, freefalling about 9.6 kilometres the floor. Should he ever want to take all that cash with him on holidays, he would need 291 Boeing 747s.

I seem to remember another similar article which said about keeping his fortune in $1 bills and theorised that if interest was added under the bed as it was accumulated, but instead of the bed raising up, the floor lowered - then if bill gates fell of bed during the night he would never hit the floor due to the speed that the floor would be lowering.
(and who said Physics has no use in the real world!!)
I hear her cry all day, all night
I hear her voice from deep within the wall
Made a cross from knitting needles
Made a grave from hoover bags
Especially for the woman in the wall
James Blast
Banned

IT Pro Magazine wrote:The UK played host to a very special visitor earlier this week. On Wednesday, Bill Gates, chairman of Microsoft, graced London with his presence to speak at a special Audience with Bill Gates event organised by the Institute of Directors (IoD).

In what looks set to be his last official UK speaking engagement before he ‘retires’ later this year, Gates’ entrance was preceded by a comical video – featuring an array of celebrities including George Clooney and Steven Spielberg – suggesting how he might choose to spend his time from the middle of this year onwards.

The atmosphere was excited, the audience was suited and booted and the burly minders were in attendance behind the stage (although event organisers told me that Microsoft’s Surface demo had more security than Gates himself!). Then the man himself walked onto the stage to the theme of The Final Countdown.

Yes it was an invite-only event. Yes it was a bit cheesy. Yes he does still look about 12.
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Pat
Slight Overbomber

Microsoft helping the USA spend it's way out of recession or just an impulse buy ?
scotty
Overbomber

"...and all I wanted in the end was world domination and a whole lot of money to spend...." :|
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
Silver_Owl
The Don

scotty wrote:"...and all I wanted in the end was world domination and a whole lot of money to spend...." :|
Has Slade The Leveller bought AskJeeves now?
Whatever next? :? :lol:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.