Anyone understand technical stuff, help needed.

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
ozjohn1
Amphetamine Filth

Hey all,
So I have finally sat down and started attempting to transfer some stuff off tapes into my computer so I can get it into the Ipod where it will be much more useful. I have been using Audacity, because I vaguely understand it and it doesn't make me want to hit it too regularly.
However I would like to know if there is any good way to try to remove the tape hiss. I have tried the noise removal feature, but it makes it sound like R2D2 is in the background!
Any help, information, tips and general stuff about which format to save to, how to make it sound better free software that does the job etc. would be greatfully appreciated, as I have about 300 tapes that I want to go through.
Cheers
:?
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Not really what you need exactly, but if you're using a laptop, remove the power, so it's just running on the battery. That helps lower some hiss.
limur
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

There's a walk through type thing on using the Audacity Noise removal tool here.

I hope it helps.
...train, crashin' head long into the heartland...

Pushing Good Music #PGM www.livemusicreview.co.uk
ozjohn1
Amphetamine Filth

Thanks guys I'll take it on board and have a weekend hitting the thing............
cheers
smug as hell, they're coming...
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

I coud do it in my own words, but some or other forum stated it perfectly:

"Use a Parametric equaliser to remove fixed frequency. If its mains noise filter 50Hz and its harmonics 100, 150, 200. Usually 10-20 Db cut is sufficient to reduce the worst excesses. Some experimentation is usually required. If you have and example of the noise on its own without any other sounds use this as the sample to set up the filter. Goldwave is one product that can perform this.

If the noise is not single frequency a more simple bandpass/bandstop may work, you will have to experiment to see (sound) what works best for your footage."

I hope you do understand something about that, I always assume most people are as sound-geeky as myself... ;D

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...