Attention All Bands: Mick Mercer putting together a new book

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Syberberg
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Just got the following message from Mick Mercer:
Mick Mercer wrote:Hello,

I am doing a new book on Goth, my fifth on the subject, to be published this Summer by Cherry Red, and this time concentrating solely on bands, in the Goth genre itself, and in overlapping scenes of Deathrock, Punk Noire, Post-Punk, Ethereal, Heavenly Voices, Faery, Ambient, Dark electronics/folk/country, Atmospheric Industrial, Neo-classical, Horror Rock/Punk, Gothabilly/Psychobilly and all the rest. (I am not interested in Neo-folk, club-style electronics/electro, Art-Noise which I see as Indie, or mainstream Industrial which is decorated Rock.)

I am going through all the lists I have assembled to send out info requests but if you see this first and beat me to it then hurrah! Also, for any new bands I may not be aware of you, but once you see this please join in. If you are not in a band but wish to recommend some likely urls please feel free. (Please don’t post any info here but send to the requested locations behind the cut.) Obviously I want this to be a fully International book, which is why I am posting requests worldwide.

Some people have asked if they have to pay to be in this? The answer is a very simple NO! I am shocked to hear of this. I don’t know if other people doing music books have asked people to pay to be in them but I certainly haven’t, nor ever will. So, if in any doubt, it is free. I write books, publishers print them. Anything else would be weird!

Although I will be scattering more than a soupcon of personal comments through the book this book isn’t ego-driven but something I want to prove useful as a directory of information, and not merely a gaggle of urls, but the sort of thing collectors will be drawn to, as it is something which adds up to coverage in depth. I also want it as accurate as possible, so if you provide the info I can pretty confident that’s correct!

Please send me the following info either to my myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/mickmercer
Or by e-mail to mercermick at hotmail dot com

I realise some parts may not be relevant for bands in suspension or disbanded but please fill in as many as possible.

I would appreciate the following info by the end of February. I won’t have any time given my tight deadline to send out any reminders.

Band formed – date? (Also, any names bands previously went under, or any bizarre names which were considered before you finally settled on your choice.)

Current line-up (please list as below)
Member’s name (previous bands) instrument
Former members (+their previous bands and instrument played)

Releases, as follows
Title – format (dvd / CD album / CD EP / vinyl 7� / cassette / CD-R) – date of release
(*Please include any demos that were available to people, as this is the sort of information collectors require.)

(There is no need to include compilation appearances unless tracks were unavailable elsewhere. Please mention where appropriate, but bear in mind if it’s a huge long list of comps it may get cut out at the editing stage due to space.)

The book will be out in the Summer of this year so if you know there’ll be a release, with title, for late 2008 release please include that.

URL-wise, Please list website url and myspace url but if you have other urls you wish to include, like livejournal urls, myspace groups, or individual websites/zines/club pages you run which you think will be of interest please do so and mention which member is responsible.

Finally, please include one fascinating fact about the band or one of your songs which you know has never been made public before - a genuine fact, obviously.

If you wish to recommend any new bands you think I may not be aware of that would also be much appreciated – simply include an url and I will be all ears.

Cheers!

Mick
p.s.
If you release anything soon for review please considering sending to me for review.
Work appears here:
http://mickmercer.livejournal.com – daily
http://www.myspace.com/mickmercer - weekly roundup (and some reviews copied to http://gothmagazine.com/blog )
http://www.mickmercer.com/themick.html - monthly online mag
My NEW address is Mick Mercer, 33 Lyndale Rd, Redhill, Surrey RH1 2HA, England
Given the number of books he manages to sell, this is a superb promotional opportunity.

In other news, The Hated Reign now have promos (lightscribe CD-r) available for DJ's and clubs. With the debut album out at the end of the year and a new line-up in the making, gigs in and around the UK should follow fairly quickly (well, fingers crossed). If anyone would like a copy (even if you're not a DJ or connected to a club that does gigs :wink:), just drop me a PM with your address and I'll dispatch one ASAP. Cheers.
I don't necessarily agree with everything I think.
Dark
Underneath the Rock

I wouldn't even be considered.. cheers for the posting though. :?
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Dark wrote:I wouldn't even be considered.. cheers for the posting though. :?
not with those gloves :wink: :innocent:
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
robertzombie
Overbomber

info sent :D
Syberberg

robertzombie wrote:info sent :D
You were one of our members who I was thinking of when I got the message. Does someone want to give Maisey a nudge as well?

I'll be sending The Hated Reign's info off too. According to our dear Sinnie, The Hated Reign is a touch goth, so I might as well.
robertzombie
Overbomber

I'll let him know 8)
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

I was given the offer by the man himself :D

As it happens I declined. When Legion can pull a crowd without paying them and when we have music on 12" of vinyl, THEN I'll be in a book about gothic rock.

I was extremely flattered that he even asked, but I'm serious enough about making something of my band to wait a while.

I thought we could organise a heartland meet this autumn for the first Leeds show? Help get the ball rolling so to speak...
Nationalise the f**king lot.
Dark
Underneath the Rock

weebleswobble wrote:
Dark wrote:I wouldn't even be considered.. cheers for the posting though. :?
not with those gloves :wink: :innocent:
True enough. Do I count as goth for wearing a March Violets tee in all the promo pictures?

Oh, why not, it's worth a try...
Syberberg

Maisey wrote:I was given the offer by the man himself :D

As it happens I declined. When Legion can pull a crowd without paying them and when we have music on 12" of vinyl, THEN I'll be in a book about gothic rock.

I was extremely flattered that he even asked, but I'm serious enough about making something of my band to wait a while.

I thought we could organise a heartland meet this autumn for the first Leeds show? Help get the ball rolling so to speak...
Fair enough. The way I look at it is, that it's a great publicity/promo opportunity that's costing me nothing. If I didn't have a CD coming out later this year, I'd probably not have bothered either.

You might want to let him know about your Rosetta Stone site, just in case he's not aware of it.

You moving up to Leeds, then? I'm going to be moving later this year, the main considerations for me being: 1) Where do I actually want to live? and 2) Where am I most likely to be able to get a new line-up together for The Hated Reign? So far Leeds is looking pretty good and the furthest south I'm now prepared to be.
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

He knows about the site, he even contributed some of his personal photograph collection.

I'm be in Leeds from September. Legion have live vocals, keys and bass sorted out already, but will be in need of a guitarist from the word go (what do you play by the way? :wink: ).

If you will be in Leeds from about the same time - with the intention of making an impression on the music scene, I see no reason why we can't work/gig together. Send me a PM when you have the time.
Nationalise the f**king lot.
paul
Overbomber

He did a cd review for my (ex-)band last year. Fortunately we came out well ;D
Syberberg

Maisey wrote:He knows about the site, he even contributed some of his personal photograph collection.
8)
Maisey wrote:I'm be in Leeds from September. Legion have live vocals, keys and bass sorted out already, but will be in need of a guitarist from the word go (what do you play by the way? :wink: ).

If you will be in Leeds from about the same time - with the intention of making an impression on the music scene, I see no reason why we can't work/gig together. Send me a PM when you have the time.
Looks like I may well beat you there (if that's where I end up), as I'll be heading out of Exeter in July at the earliest.

When I'm not singing and playing the guitar at the same time, I just play guitar or bass. Strangely, I can't play bass and sing at the same time. And I do all of the above with more confidence on stage with shades on. Even if that means not being able to tell exactly where the edge of the stage is.

I like the idea of an HL Gathering, might even be fun to have a Gathering with as many members' bands playing as possible. (Although the arguments about who's doing which Sisters' cover could delay proceedings...and The Smurfs would win anyway. :wink: )

I'll send you PM soon.
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Well, sent him my info. :?

Good point, that.. I may need to sort out how my band will translate in Glasgow. Maybe I can go look for some thin-as-a-rake disaffected architechture students with keyboards to add to the sound.
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Sent ;D

Media-whore Izzy in full effect!

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
eotunun
Overbomber

Am I right remembering that Mr. Mercer was a round here, too, for a short while during the early Silver Bullet days :?:
I believe he made a few posts in Sisters Chat and dissapeared again.
"These are my principles! And if you don't like the just says so, I have others, too!"
~Rufus T. Firefly
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

More HLers moving to Leeds? Blimey, the rounds on nights out are gonna start getting stupidly expensive. :P
'What a heavy load Einstein must have had. Morons everywhere.'
Izzy HaveMercy

FGG will be in there as well, or so it seems. Nice and prompt feller, that Mick ;D

IZ.
Syberberg

Planet Dave wrote:More HLers moving to Leeds? Blimey, the rounds on nights out are gonna start getting stupidly expensive. :P
Just time it right so your turn to get the round in coincides with the happy hour. :wink:
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Syberberg wrote:
Planet Dave wrote:More HLers moving to Leeds? Blimey, the rounds on nights out are gonna start getting stupidly expensive. :P
Just time it right so your turn to get the round in coincides with the happy hour. :wink:
See them shores over there.... :wink:
'What a heavy load Einstein must have had. Morons everywhere.'
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Planet Dave wrote:See them shores over there.... :wink:
That's you, that is? :innocent:

Sorry! :oops:
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

I'm bloody envious of the lot of you, by the way. I'll have to buy the book, now, won't I? ;D :P
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:FGG will be in there as well, or so it seems. Nice and prompt feller, that Mick ;D

IZ.
Is he now? :? :(
Izzy HaveMercy

Dark wrote:
Izzy HaveMercy wrote:FGG will be in there as well, or so it seems. Nice and prompt feller, that Mick ;D

IZ.
Is he now? :? :(
Judging from one posting with him and not knowing much of his past adventures, yes he is ;)

IZ.
Dark
Underneath the Rock

It was more of a "I haven't heard anything from him yet".

Now I have.

Good stuff. :)