MIDI

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
robertzombie
Overbomber

IZ has been saying it for years, now I'm finally looking into midi! :lol:

Now then, I don't think I have a DB15 slot on my hardrive so I couldn't use this but I've noticed there are also Midi-USB connectors, does anyone have any experience with them (on Vista?)

Wiki says: Microsoft has discontinued game port support with Windows Vista

So that rules out the gameport option. Nevertheless, here's the top-half of the back of my hardrive. I thought the blue plug would work but after closer inspection (and reading Wiki) realise the pins are in the wrong places. Would Midi work in any of those plugs?

Also, can anyone recommend any easy to use MIDI programmes for beginners?

Thanks for reading, and thanks for any help! :D :notworthy:
mh
Above the Chemist

Anvil Studio: http://www.anvilstudio.com/

It'll cost you nothing too, so nothing to lose. :D
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Dunno if this is anything that'll help you/that you're looking for, but I've got this plugged into Mr. X's ancient KORG Prophecy via a MIDI cable; the MIDI interface is then plugged into this PowerBook G4 with a regular USB cable. Not sure if the setup would be the same on a peecee or not, though.
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
Paterson
Road Kill

these should work.

http://www.turnkey.co.uk/products/midi-interfaces/

As for programs I would say Cubase (i can't remember what version I used but it was great for drum programming), as its easy to use, can use midi and audio tracks and you can get lots of plug-ins to add new instruments and effects.
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Buy yourself a good soundcard, Robert, saves you a lot of troubles.

Vista is Death for pro audio. At least it is now. I might consider using Vista in the near future, give or take a couple of years, until they fixed all the bugs and the audio-video issues.

In short, I wait for the next Windows Version ;D

I would suggest buying an M-Audio, for example, which is my current weapon of choice. Or something similar.

Look for near zero latency, FireWire over USB but any will do. The m-audio I mention here has no jack-plugs, only RCA, so take a close look at all ins-outs and buy one that suits you needs or just a bit more. And it needs a MIDI In-Out of course, but most of these external audio cards have that.

Cubase LE comes with most of these audio cards nowadays, so you don't have to buy something extra ;D

Might be a bit pricey for you as a student, but still, this is the best option IMO. The Audiophile costs at about 150 pounds.

Good luck!

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...