Rant again - illiteracy

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

EvilBastard wrote:...or the place we had brunch today that was offering a "Prefix" menu. Grrrrrrrrrrr...
LMAO! :lol:

Ahhhh...ignorance, arrogance, and mediocrity. :roll: :|
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
reactiv8
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

SINsister wrote:...ignorance, arrogance, and mediocrity. :roll: :|
... that would be the Hillbillies in Horrorfordshire Sinnie! - Kill 'em ALL!
:twisted:
They (The Establishment) use sex as an addiction for control, just as they use alcohol and drugs ...
- A programme of systematic frustration in order to sell this crock of s**t as immortality, a garden of delights and love. ...
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Erm...sorry, but killing's just not my style. I prefer to ignore idiots. ;)
reactiv8
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

SINsister wrote:Erm...sorry, but killing's just not my style. I prefer to ignore idiots. ;)
Absolutely Sinnie!

“Silence is the most perfect expression of scorn.�, George Bernard Shaw, Back to Methuselah (1921) pt. 5

:wink:
They (The Establishment) use sex as an addiction for control, just as they use alcohol and drugs ...
- A programme of systematic frustration in order to sell this crock of s**t as immortality, a garden of delights and love. ...
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Obviousman wrote: Dutch Beats English by about 10,000 headwords (171k vs 186k or so) and is vastly more pointless in its irregularity if I may say so ;D
See this is why the Z-man can't be beat. That's what I call a factoid! :notworthy: 8)
I love it when you go talking all language-geeky you know :wink:
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

reactiv8 wrote:“Silence is the most perfect expression of scorn.�, George Bernard Shaw, Back to Methuselah (1921) pt. 5
What a great quote :notworthy:
Debaser
Overbomber

emilystrange wrote:aaagahhhh. schools DO try! i've been teaching 'their' and 'there' to my 6 year olds...
DON'T blame it on us. we have near breakdowns as it is!
And my Year Three's have suddenly started with a rash of apostrophes. Every word that ends in an 's' gets the apostrophe treatment. I think the only way to learn 'em is to rabbit punch them for each one they insert unnecessarily..........
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

Obviousman wrote: In Dutch we've got the extra disadvantage of spelling changing every other year, so I really doubt whether there are many good spellers left. The common changes made me give up with being really anal on spelling and shifted my focus to other irritating mistakes :lol:
Yeah tell me about it! :roll: It's so stupid too that the spelling changes every other year, the whole educational system should be adjusting to that change but do they? We can now blame our political system where education is concerned. In this country there are so many advantages to wanting to live here but it drives me crazy when these important matters have not being maintained for many years it seems.
As for the English language, most definately an international language, it is also a marvellous language when once knowing expression is absolutely delicious.

I'm also of opion that the problem does not lie within the teachers of today and the younger we teach them the proper way of writing English the better. The abbreviated way of writing these days, through things like mobile telephones and quick chat programs (programmes USA) :wink: such as MSN etc. are the bad doers. The youth are out there and quick any language has taken them by storm....oh wait, BoF's mum too...hmmm...maybe seeping through all ages then. So we can blame the internet or communications too!
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

Why on earth do they change how you spell your words? :eek:
Dark
Underneath the Rock

I refuse to accept that a sentence may not be started with "And".
That aside, I'm still considered a grammar nazi at school. Both in English and German, I do my utmost, to the point of using grammar which some people take a moment or so to take in. Examples would be "From whom did you hear that?" in casual conversation, and conjugating "lesen" into "läse" in an essay (a native speaker who was marking it said that it was perfectly good and every German would understand it, though in practice, it was never really used).
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

Debaser wrote:And my Year Three's have suddenly started with a rash of apostrophes. Every word that ends in an 's' gets the apostrophe treatment. I think the only way to learn 'em is to rabbit punch them for each one they insert unnecessarily..........
That reminds of something else - some people use question marks when not asking a question. It's like a method of writing in an Australian accent! :urff:
To not know and to ask a question is a moment of embarrassment; to not know and not ask is a lifetime of shame.
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

Brideoffrankenstein wrote:Why on earth do they change how you spell your words? :eek:
Now my dear, that is indeed a mystery! These Dutchies are a weird bunch I tell you!
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

Almiche V wrote:
Debaser wrote:And my Year Three's have suddenly started with a rash of apostrophes. Every word that ends in an 's' gets the apostrophe treatment. I think the only way to learn 'em is to rabbit punch them for each one they insert unnecessarily..........
That reminds of something else - some people use question marks when not asking a question. It's like a method of writing in an Australian accent! :urff:
I remember Stephen Fry going on Room 101? And he wanted to put the Australian accent in? He couldn't understand why everything they say sounds like a question? :lol: :lol: :notworthy:
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

Brideoffrankenstein wrote:I remember Stephen Fry going on Room 101? And he wanted to put the Australian accent in? He couldn't understand why everything they say sounds like a question? :lol: :lol: :notworthy:
:lol: :lol: That's the one. Everyone should listen to him.
To not know and to ask a question is a moment of embarrassment; to not know and not ask is a lifetime of shame.
Debaser
Overbomber

Dark wrote:I refuse to accept that a sentence may not be started with "And".
Ditto. If it's good enough for William Blake, it's good enough for me.
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
scotty
Overbomber

Debaser wrote:
Dark wrote:I refuse to accept that a sentence may not be started with "And".
Ditto. If it's good enough for William Blake, it's good enough for me.
William Blake...............does he play for an English team? :innocent:
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

MadameButterfly wrote:
Brideoffrankenstein wrote:Why on earth do they change how you spell your words? :eek:
Now my dear, that is indeed a mystery! These Dutchies are a weird bunch I tell you!
Well, I suppose it's got to do with updating. Allegedly they want to simplify it as well, but oddly everything's getting more complex this way. On top of that it even influences how we speak, e.g. if you stick two words together and the first one ends in an e, they thought it'd be nice to give all/most of those an n in between. Result being people starting to pronounce the n, whereas they made it clear from the first moment you shouldn't do that :urff:

Changing spelling is quite irritating either way, makes reading books of over about 30 years old real hard, which is quite a shame...
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Latest piece of linguistic idiocy - just received an offer in the post from Omaha Steaks inviting me to "Save 30% on filet mignons". :urff:
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
psichonaut
Overbomber

EvilBastard wrote: "Save 30% on filet mignons"
:eek: :eek: :eek:
thanks...my Lord...i'm unbeliver
tear up your pants for psicho...and jump on him
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

EvilBastard wrote:Latest piece of linguistic idiocy - just received an offer in the post from Omaha Steaks inviting me to "Save 30% on filet mignons". :urff:
*Cackling*

OMG - if that's not bad enough, my favorite great-auntie (RIP) used to pronounce it "FILLah-MINyon"!

*Rolls on floor, clutching her sides*

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Guess whose parents say "Maynge-towt" for "mange tout"? :urff:
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Awwwww! :lol:

Well, education begins at home, innit, dear Korin? ;) Repeat the phrase correctly, over and over, and they're sure to "get it" eventually! :kiss:
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

Here's a new pleasure that's sweeping over:

'despatch' instead of 'dispatch'

This is basic stuff we're talking about.
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

Dark wrote:Guess whose parents say "Maynge-towt" for "mange tout"? :urff:
:lol: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

:evil: :evil: Keep hearing/reading:

"The exact same thing happened....."

Look, it's either the same thing or it's not the same thing.

Just passing.