Rant again - illiteracy

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

mh wrote:"s" vs "z" stopped bothering me a long long time ago. To be honest, working in IT you tend to come across American spellings more often than you don't.

1 or 2 spaces between sentences, anyone?
Ooooo, that's a nuisance. Two spaces used to be the standard (and was expected/demanded back in the day on all school/uni papers!), but now, no one seems to use more than one. Rather bizarre, innit?
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

Hexe Luciferia wrote:
SINsister wrote:
Almiche V wrote:Posts on this thread will be examined and marked accordingly :lol:
:eek:
Heeheehee! :lol: :oops:

I apologize (over here, it's spelled with a "z," not with an "s," in case you hadn't noticed - we haven't even touched on British English vs. American English spelling yet, have we? :eek: :innocent: :roll:) for playing Princess Pedantic, but I can't help it. I'm compelled, you see. :|
You are not playing Princess Pedantic at all.
I'm not saying this to be "nice", but I think that pedantry is really something else :wink:
Prexactly, no need to apologizse.
To not know and to ask a question is a moment of embarrassment; to not know and not ask is a lifetime of shame.
Hexe Luciferia
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Almiche V wrote:
Hexe Luciferia wrote:
SINsister wrote: Heeheehee! :lol: :oops:

I apologize (over here, it's spelled with a "z," not with an "s," in case you hadn't noticed - we haven't even touched on British English vs. American English spelling yet, have we? :eek: :innocent: :roll:) for playing Princess Pedantic, but I can't help it. I'm compelled, you see. :|
You are not playing Princess Pedantic at all.
I'm not saying this to be "nice", but I think that pedantry is really something else :wink:
Prexactly, no need to apologizse.
:innocent: :innocent:
I'll shove that bat up your a** and turn you into a popsicle
Dark
Underneath the Rock

SINsister wrote:
boudicca wrote:
SINsister wrote: It doesn't have an apostrophe when it's not a contraction. ;) :P :kiss:
No, I'm with Dark on this one. Genitive case also takes an apostrophe - eg. That is Sinnie's dictionary :wink:
The dictionary? It's mine, sure...but it's so worn out from overuse that it's on its last legs... ;)
I deliberately said "its", as in the possessive; I'm not completely dense as to not know the difference, especially when it's already been stated earlier in the thread. :?
And with that in mind, to reiterate, I really can't see the point in omitting the apostrophe. Though I really give up with trying to work out whether 's is "genitive", "possessive" or a clitic..
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Oh, and as an afterthought, I use "isation" and "ization" interchangeably. (Bonus points to anyone who realised that I have a song on the Korrosiv CD called "Civilization")
Why? Because they were both British English at one point, as is my understanding, they both sound identical, and a "z" looks cooler. ;)
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Dark wrote:I deliberately said "its", as in the possessive; I'm not completely dense as to not know the difference, especially when it's already been stated earlier in the thread. :?
No insult/offense intended, dear Korin.
Dark
Underneath the Rock

None taken, m'dear.
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

*Phew*

:notworthy: :kiss:
James Blast
Banned

two spaces bad

one space good
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Petseri
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:two spaces bad

one space good
What is your take on capital letters, punctuation, or verbs?
reactiv8

paint it black wrote: ..as i wrote [not said]
:eek: i? and [? and ]? :roll: Or was this a joke?

- Just to stir it up a bit more! :wink:
Nothing personal you understand? :wink:

The use of emoticons too?

Life is too short for all of this surely?
None of us are Anthony Burgess reincarnated, or prove me otherwise?
- Oh, and correct my grammar too?!
Your turn ...

:urff:
They (The Establishment) use sex as an addiction for control, just as they use alcohol and drugs ...
- A programme of systematic frustration in order to sell this crock of s**t as immortality, a garden of delights and love. ...
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

reactiv8 wrote:
paint it black wrote: ..as i wrote [not said]
:eek: i? and [? and ]? :roll: Or was this a joke?

- Just to stir it up a bit more! :wink:
Nothing personal you understand? :wink:

The use of emoticons too?

Life is too short for all of this surely?
None of us are Anthony Burgess reincarnated, or prove me otherwise?
- Oh, and correct my grammar too?!
Your turn ...

:urff:
it took so long to get this far
don't call me surly

Surely, life is too short for this?
None of us are a reincarnated Anthony Burgess, or can you prove otherwise?

Your welcome :wink:

Seriously, on reflection, possibly part of the issue of literacy, certainly within the virtual world, is that people type as quickly as the thought appears in their head. The submit key is pressed without a second thought [and that is the way it should be]. I just thought it ironic, that, even within ths thread, this thought process seems to have been applied. Me, i absolutely adore alliteration and a good metaphor, about as relevant as a fart in a spacesuit, but there you go.

Offski TTFN :|
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

paint it black wrote:The submit key is pressed without a second thought [and that is the way it should be].
Speak for yourself, sir. I disagree wholeheartedly. ;)
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

paint it black wrote:Seriously, on reflection, possibly part of the issue of literacy, certainly within the virtual world, is that people type as quickly as the thought appears in their head. The submit key is pressed without a second thought [and that is the way it should be].
Exactly. I started this thread because I keep seeing things like:

"I wonder what there going to say."

"I will right again soon." That's a newby btw ;-)

Not to nit-pick over the use of capitals or slang on the virtual electric interweb.
To not know and to ask a question is a moment of embarrassment; to not know and not ask is a lifetime of shame.
Hexe Luciferia

Almiche V wrote: "I wonder what there going to say."

"I will right again soon." That's a newby btw ;-)
I'm sure it wasn't me :innocent:
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

Hexe Luciferia wrote:I'm sure it wasn't me :innocent:
I haven't noticed on this 'ere board.

Anyway, you're good at being sultry in a Vogue style - so all would be forgiven :lol:
Hexe Luciferia

Almiche V wrote:
Hexe Luciferia wrote:I'm sure it wasn't me :innocent:
I haven't noticed on this 'ere board.

Anyway, you're good at being sultry in a Vogue style - so all would be forgiven :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
reactiv8

paint it black wrote:
it took so long to get this far
don't call me surly

Surely, life is too short for this?
None of us are a reincarnated Anthony Burgess, or can you prove otherwise?

Your welcome :wink:

Seriously, on reflection, possibly part of the issue of literacy, certainly within the virtual world, is that people type as quickly as the thought appears in their head. The submit key is pressed without a second thought [and that is the way it should be]. I just thought it ironic, that, even within ths thread, this thought process seems to have been applied. Me, i absolutely adore alliteration and a good metaphor, about as relevant as a fart in a spacesuit, but there you go.
Without venturing into 'apology territory' (for reasons well discussed elsewhere before - yawn!) I'm a closet-case for AB, but I couldn't find a suitable picture of him, so used Ralph Steadman's 'Bard' for now ... As for literacy (and its abuse), I'm often guilty too, despite usually going back to review what I've just posted. I'm regrettably a frequent user of sarcasm, although I know perfectly well it has been dubbed the lowest form of wit ... I still love it, so WDF, eh? Alliteration is cool too, so Rock On Matey! :wink:

I know our Hostess is more measured in her approach to observing the etiquette of this forum, but what should we expect? She is our High Priestess! - With some very wayward disciples ... :twisted:
They (The Establishment) use sex as an addiction for control, just as they use alcohol and drugs ...
- A programme of systematic frustration in order to sell this crock of s**t as immortality, a garden of delights and love. ...
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

You're giving me far too much credit, man.
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

The spelling of real names, like your birth name or the name you are called by in the outside world. When people spell your name incorrectly or those of others it really gets on my tits.

It's the one thing that actually associates us with our being within this world ain't it?

One of my thingy's in this life is if once I know (seen and read) a person's real name I never forget the precise spelling of it again.

It must also be known that in that outside world names to me is just a bore so if the actual person's name rings a bell it might be interesting but for the rest...stuff it?

*thoughts*
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
James Blast
Banned

fank yew, Miz van Der Meer ;D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

James Blast wrote:fank yew, Miz van Der Meer ;D
Now actually it's Van der Meer, but the thought of *Von der Meer* records just tickles my fancy...get what I mean? ;D
that ongoing eternity
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

That's a lovely last name! :eek:
James Blast
Banned

... and I do like to tickle a lady's fancy, no, honest... ;D
~ Peter Steele
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

Check this out just for mind work fuckout!

My maiden name as to appear on my passport...my the S.A. government have mercy on my soul and their way out old age way of thinking...

MOI = Mrs. van der Meer ~ van den Bergh...

Now put that in your pipe and smoke it!

It'll cause confusion in the government for years and it's me...all tiny little me living within hundreds and thousands and knowing the law better than most of the politicians in both countries...now howz that for playing the law and knowing my rights...the mind does indeed boogle...

The lake that meets the mountain...leads to fresh delicious water for those that are foreign...
that ongoing eternity