Digitalizing & Remastering Vinyl Records

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
robertzombie
Overbomber

I've recently been recording my vinyl records onto the PC (using Adobe Audition 3.0) and am wondering if there's any tips for restoring the tracks?
I'm already removing the noise (using Adobe's 'noise reduction' tool) and clicks/pops but I don't have much knowledge with regards to EQ.
I read that bass is a lot heavier in output than treble and I've found that some of the recordings are quite bassy (especially tracks with drum-machines) but then others sound fairly balanced.

Are there any things I should be doing to get the best out of the records?
mh
Above the Chemist

Best tip is to not overdo anything. Light touches all the way. If you've got your records in good condition and are using a decent turntable, that'll get you way more mileage than any amount of filters and effects.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Pista
Cureboi

I'd side with Michael on that.
You want to end up with the "original" really.
If you do too much tinkering, you can really fcuk it up.
I'd record it "flat" & use whatever EQ you have in your media player to adjust when you're listening.
The key is the source & the equipment the source is being "translated" from.
If it's pants, then the digitised version will also be pants.
The cleaner (un fcuked up) the signal path, the better.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
scotty
Overbomber

Pat is the Dogs Bollocks at this sort of thing :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
Pat
Slight Overbomber

I agree 100% with all of the above :innocent: :lol:
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

I generally don't tinker.

I've found that the noise from the wire connecting your player to the PC is always at the same volume, no matter what volume setting your record player is at. Thus if you record quietly and amplify the resultant signal you amplify the noise, but if you record loudly (just off clipping) you drown the noise right out.
Nationalise the f**king lot.
robertzombie
Overbomber

You can remove the noise (pretty much) completely with Audacity/Adobe/any other ;)
Dark
Underneath the Rock

If you're recording onto a laptop, unplug it first. AC hum is louder than battery noise.
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

I know, but it takes away something vital from the sound of the music 8)
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

Maisey
Slight Overbomber

Dark
Underneath the Rock

Not if you're transferring the music. It's just noise. Without it, you can transfer the music even louder. :lol:
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

I'd keep keep a backup of the raw files, it's an importand fall-back option if you may get second thoughts about changing the sound in the future. Beside that you should leave the sound as untouched as possible - to maintain the source quality. Or do you need a correction because your record player doesn't sound neutral?
frederik
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

indeed, less = more

from the adobe software I only use (if necessary) a light hiss reduction to transfer my tapes...

most important are your soundcard, connecting cables, tape-vinyl deck...
so make sure you have a good setup and leave all the mastering tools for studio experts
robertzombie
Overbomber

The record player and most of the records are in tip-top condition. The transfers sound fine apart from the fact that a few are noticeably bassy.