Advice please on the collecting rare goth tape cassettes

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

Being a fan of "obsolete media" (i.e. I'm a vinylhead) it was only a matter of time before I decided to collect tapes. The problem I have is that the kind of the I'm really looking for is damn near impossible to find in the obvious places (ebay, record shops, even places like gemm.com).

If it's been put out on record, I'm not really interested as I'd much rather get the vinyl, so stuff like Sisters cassette singles etc don't interest me so much.

What I'd love to try and find but have never even seen available are early releases by Goth bands (especially early 90's) that came out as cassette only. Good examples of this are the fabled Rosetta Stone tape EPs, but also early releases by bands like Children On Stun and Die Laughing.

I'm beginning to believe that it's impossible to get hold of this stuff (short of robbing the houses of bands themselves)...anyone care to prove me wrong?
Nationalise the f**king lot.
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Sisters bootlegs are fairly easy to get on tape, even ones that weren't released on LP. I have quite a few now. :)

Tried musicstack?
Drenchrom
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Maybe try and contact people who produce fanzines i got loads of bits and pieces sent when i did mine (Interference). ALso check out Mick Mercer's forthcoming book, which is some sort of giant goth discography.

Bands to check out for include:

Children On Stun, Ancestry, Vendemmian, Restoration, Crystal Reign, Every New Dead Ghost, Empyrean, Die Laughing, Leisure Hive, Seraphin Twin, Lilith Unveiled, Litany Of Fear, Sins Of The Flesh, Momento Mori (check their Myspace page)..

..i could go on but you'd think i'm some sort of goth.

matt..
robertzombie
Overbomber

and then there's...

:D
Ramone

Maisey wrote:
What I'd love to try and find but have never even seen available are early releases by Goth bands (especially early 90's) that came out as cassette only. Good examples of this are the fabled Rosetta Stone tape EPs, but also early releases by bands like Children On Stun and Die Laughing.

I'm beginning to believe that it's impossible to get hold of this stuff (short of robbing the houses of bands themselves)...anyone care to prove me wrong?
You know when you do this kind thing and you mention Rosetta your trying to yank my chain, ya lil scamp.

As Rosetta's manager we used to get sent various 'demo' tapes for support slots,so I can help you out with a few your looking for.

Die Laughing

Autumn ( kind of an All about Eves/ Cocteau Twins style)

You can have them two for nowt my son!

Now Rosetta:

I could give you copies of any of these If I can find any one that selss blank tapes these days!!

Retribution : Demos 27th and 28th April 1989, Master of the the 1st remix of Retribution on 29. April 1989
@ The Stationhouse (studio) New Brighton, Merseyside

Wrexham Marcher Sound Radio Interview 7th May 1989

Chapter and Verse Demo 22nd April 1989

Milos (Live) August 10th 1988

Sheffield Poly,24th September 1989 (Mixing desk - Supporting the m*****n)

The original cassette only tapes:

"And How they Rejoice" ( Whispers and Hit) Gig blagging demo
and "Whispers" are the same tape but with different covers

Chapter and Verse ( Whispers,Six before dawn,Hit, Evolution) Produced by Daniel Lazarus at Marquee Studios , London.

Retribution

Various tapes by the Ancestry who supported Rosetta -alot!!

Send me your address and I'll send you the Die Laughing and the other one .

:) :D
"It was great that Kurt Cobain shot himself when he did..cos without that ,we'd have no Foo Fighters today" :Ramone, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever. November 2008
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Hey Ramone, if you're offering, I'll send you some blank tapes in return for some of those :eek:
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

It's amazing how he just casually drops stuff in like that. :lol:

Wherever Maisey is on this planet, I'm sure he's very happy :D
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

Drenchrom wrote:Children On Stun, Ancestry, Vendemmian, Restoration, Crystal Reign, Every New Dead Ghost, Empyrean, Die Laughing, Leisure Hive, Seraphin Twin, Lilith Unveiled, Litany Of Fear, Sins Of The Flesh, Momento Mori
God, that's a whole graveyard full of dodgy goth bands (especially Sins of the Flesh)!
Ramone

Dark wrote:Hey Ramone, if you're offering, I'll send you some blank tapes in return for some of those :eek:
They aren't the best quality, seeing as they were just demos. The live stuff is hit and miss - the Sheffield one is pretty good though .But if they will help boost your collection.Then who cares ! The only thing I'll have to work out is if I can still do tape-tape!! I'm sure I've got a double cassette player type contraption some where!!

pm me what ya want and I'll see what I can do sir. :D
"It was great that Kurt Cobain shot himself when he did..cos without that ,we'd have no Foo Fighters today" :Ramone, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever. November 2008
Dark
Underneath the Rock

PM sent, ya dancer. :D :notworthy:
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

...Nice.

There are no words to convey the gratitude and enthusiasm generated by that.
Nationalise the f**king lot.
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Wonder if I can push my luck and ask Rosie for some old MV tapes, or Gary for any Ghostie stuff. :lol:
Or even Gangwar. :eek: