Geeky help needed - CD authoring software

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Ladies, gents, assorted mammals..

I used to have Nero Burning ROM (version 6, I think) and it served me well. Now I have a new laptop without said software, and the freeware "CDBurnerXP".. well, it's not great, but it'll do.
However, the one major drawback is that it can only burn all as one file, or as seperate tracks with two second gaps. As all those amongst you in the Weeding section or making your own music can understand, this is a great annoyance, and the reason why the intro on the first Korrosiv CD is NOT mixed into "Take Me Away" as it was designed to be.

So my question is this: What free CD authoring software is there which allows me to specify the gap between tracks? I'm well aware I could either buy Nero or download it illegally, but I'd rather have legal freeware.

Cheers.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Have you tried searching sourceforge?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Pista
Cureboi

That's odd.
I have Nero6 also & there is a checkbox to enable gapless burning on mine.
But I suspect that you're looking to have the option assigned to just specific tracks right?
I think Nero's option is "all or nothing" TBH.
Soundforge is a good place for freebies though.
A lot of people also use Adobe Audition, but this isn't free.
You can get a "cracked" version, but I don't know how that sits in terms of "legalities". Prolly not very well.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
mh
Above the Chemist

Nero can do individual tracks, but I think Korin's prob is that he doesn't have it on his new machine. I'd guess on the old machine it was locked to the CD drive.

CDBurnerXP seems to be well rated, and according to what I can find it should be capable of burning without gaps (the option may be deeply buried though). The list here might help: http://www.pchell.com/support/cdburner.shtml
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Karst
Slight Overbomber

Use iTunes.
Dark
Underneath the Rock

mh wrote:Nero can do individual tracks, but I think Korin's prob is that he doesn't have it on his new machine. I'd guess on the old machine it was locked to the CD drive.

CDBurnerXP seems to be well rated, and according to what I can find it should be capable of burning without gaps (the option may be deeply buried though). The list here might help: http://www.pchell.com/support/cdburner.shtml
It's CDBurnerXP that I have.. but it only lets you burn as one long track, or as separates with gaps.. I don't think I can find any option to change it. :?:
Pista
Cureboi

Don't you have the nero cd anymore?
It usually comes bundled with burners, so if you know someone who has the CD, it's free & legal.
Al the plugins should work too.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Dark
Underneath the Rock

I got my old PC about 4 or 5 years ago, most of the CDs are gone gone gone. :(
Not sure we ever installed it either, I think it came ready-installed.
Pista
Cureboi

I've got one at home somewhere.
I'll be there on Friday, so I'll see if I can dig it up if it helps.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity