car insurance question!

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

Right, on my car insurance I said that I would do no more than 5,000 miles a year and I am currently 80 miles below exceeding that amount. My insurance is renewed on 12th June so obviously I am going to go over the 5,000 miles. So do I exceed the amount and be naughty and just increase the mileage when I renew my insurance and risk not being covered or be a good girl and phone up in the next few days and increase it and get charged a £20 admin fee plus the proportionate increase in insurance for the period until I renew?

My head says to be a good girl but one person says that they are way over their allowed mileage and the insurance never check that anyway and how do they know what your mileage is when you never tell them anyway, but my boss says that your mileage is on your MOT certificate (which it is I just checked) and that all these figures are all centralised and the insurance company could easily find out and refuse to pay out on a claim.

As I have only been a driver for just under a year I'm not sure what to do and wondered what "the norm" is?

Please help!

:notworthy:
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Check the car insurance policy rules for the consequences.
The small letters.
In Holland I have never heard that someone changed it because of
exceeding that limit by a few hundred miles. Nor did I ever hear that the insurance company checked it in damage cases.
I sold insurances a long, long time ago....Bad job!

Good luck... :D
"as we walk on the floodland"
eotunun
Overbomber

I remember a case from way back (mid ninetees) in Germany were the insurance refused to pay after an accident with the car's mileage too high. But in that case it was well over 30% over the expected mileage.
There is shadow under this red rock
nodubmanshouts
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Car insurance laws are very obscure, and really depend on where you live. There's all kinds of in and outs, and its all too complicated.

The "best" thing for you to would be to fess-up and pay any charges. Personally, I would leave it until renewal, since you didn't lie when you filled out the application form (you intended to only drive 5,000) and acted in good faith. The fact you are only a little over could be shown to prove that in a court case (good faith goes a long way).

(FYI, my yearly allowance is 15,000. Some years I'm over, some years I'm under; so I leave it at 15,000).
limur
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

In the UK AFAIK, the details of MOT, insurance & car tax are held at DVLA, so could, theoretically, be checked.

I 'fess up to everything. Better that than not be covered for the sake of GBP20.

If you're dealing with the insurance company direct and not using a broker, they shouldn't charge any handing fee.
...train, crashin' head long into the heartland...

Pushing Good Music #PGM www.livemusicreview.co.uk
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Your head is right - call them up and explain the situation. Better to be safe than sorry - and wouldn't you feel like a tw@ if you were over your limit, had an accident, and the insurers refused to cough up? There may be a grace distance, maybe 10% of your limit, in which you're still covered, but it's worth checking and making sure that you know exactly where you stand.
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

Thanks guys :notworthy:

I shall give them a ring in the next couple of days and sort it out. I had to ask as I wasn't sure if people really bothered with that kind of thing or not!

:notworthy:
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

As I know you're all incredibly interested in this, I phoned up about the mileage today and they said not to worry as it's so close to my renewal :eek:
Silver_Owl
The Don

Brideoffrankenstein wrote:As I know you're all incredibly interested in this, I phoned up about the mileage today and they said not to worry as it's so close to my renewal :eek:
Hurray for you. :)
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Brideoffrankenstein wrote:As I know you're all incredibly interested in this, I phoned up about the mileage today and they said not to worry as it's so close to my renewal :eek:
You might want to make sure that you get that in writing, or insist that they log your call and their response, getting the full name of the person you spoke to. That way the burden is on them if you do have an accident and their investigators come back and say "Tough sh!t, you were over your limit, you're not covered."

Not that insurance companies are a bunch of b@stards who will try every which way to screw you and refuse to pay up, of course... :innocent:
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
nodubmanshouts
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I remember first car I owned, the insurance agent came to the dealer, and gave me a cheap quote.... then when I got a policy, it basically wasn't for the car I bought, it had all this mythical exta saftey equipment listed, and I'd be driving for years longer than I had really.... madness.