Embarrassingly simple DVD burning question

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

Well, quite simply I am having trouble burning DVD's! :oops:

I would like to burn onto DVD some photos that I have scanned in and would obviously like to keep safe. I am using a DVD as it has more space and I have lots of pictures. So, I do it in the normal way that I burn photos onto a CD, open up the folder which contains the photos, open up the "burnable media" and drag and drop them across. Magically, an option appears on the left margin which says "burn these files to disc" so I click it and it happens. But does it work with the DVD? No. I have tried Nero but it only lets me do VCD. I don't want a fancy slide-show affair, only the files to appear as thumbnails which I can click on at my leisure.

Please help :oops:

:notworthy:
Andie
Overbomber

select "data transfer" and burn the DVD in the same way as a back up disc...

also check that you have DVD writeable software on your pooter :D
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.
James Blast
Banned

Burning DVDs is a 'Black Art' Libs, sometimes it works, mostly it doesn't.
In my experience. :|

ask Andrew S, his drink coaster collection has spiraled out of control!!! :lol:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Pista
Cureboi

If you use Nero, then try the "make a data dvd" option.
Otherwise it thinks you are trying to burn an image.
You can then dump all the files on that you want & burn.
I put a lot of flacs onto DVDs & they are only data files, so it should work the same way.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Andie
Overbomber

Pista wrote:If you use Nero, then try the "make a data dvd" option.
Otherwise it thinks you are trying to burn an image.
You can then dump all the files on that you want & burn.
I put a lot of flacs onto DVDs & they are only data files, so it should work the same way.
Aye...what he says!! :notworthy:
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.
christophe
Overbomber

exactly.
I wish burning a 'movie' onto a DVd was just as simple :|
Another Shade of You.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

i use option "data" even for the music and always when i want to burn a film/gig etc.
that is the best way to avoid complications with burning on "Nero"
Pista
Cureboi

christophe wrote:exactly.
It's not that hard really.
Thing is you either need to use double layer dvds (8.5gb) or something like dvdshrink or clonedvd to get shot of the audio tracks & subtitles that you don't tneed (not to mention those highly interesting "making of" docos).
Then the feature may fit on a regular 4.7gb disc.
Another thing for movies is not to burn them at the fastest speed.
It might take longer, but less likelihood of errors on the finished item.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

:notworthy: Thank guys, will give it all a go :D

The annoying thing is, my downloads of the new Nero keep failing! :lol:
christophe
Overbomber

Pista wrote:
christophe wrote:exactly.
It's not that hard really.
Thing is you either need to use double layer dvds (8.5gb) or something like dvdshrink or clonedvd to get shot of the audio tracks & subtitles that you don't tneed (not to mention those highly interesting "making of" docos).
thx :D I'll give that a try

I have been using DVD lab a couple of times, but it takes hours to transfer every file :?
Another Shade of You.
Pista
Cureboi

If you go for the full blown, dual layer discs, make sure your burner can burn them first, before buying a load, as they are pricier than the regular 4.7gb ones.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Pursued By Trees
Road Kill

Might be worth trying something other than Nero for burning your discs then then. I recommend Magic Burning Studio. Cheaper, far simple and easier to use than Nero.

http://www.magic-video-software.com/mbs.html

It doesn't offer all the technical detail and adjustment that Nero does, which just makes it far more straight-forward. I first came across this when I bought a cheapie DVD burner as a stop-gap replacement and Nero refused to recognise the cheapie drive.
I'm headed for the trees over there
If that's not a destination
I don't care
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

Pista wrote: It's not that hard really.
After that explanation, just a quick question. I don't use Nero at the moment but I've copied a dvd on a DVD + R DL (8.5gb) 8 x speed. Now it looks like my copying went well although when checking the dvd's on my computer it's says I must play it off in my Acer program, so if these are then played off on a regular dvd player or other computer will it still work?!

Sorry about this stupid question but I'm still learning. Don't laugh Steve!
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
James Blast
Banned

why don't you stick it in one and see what happens? ;D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Pista
Cureboi

MadameButterfly wrote: After that explanation, just a quick question. I don't use Nero at the moment but I've copied a dvd on a DVD + R DL (8.5gb) 8 x speed. Now it looks like my copying went well although when checking the dvd's on my computer it's says I must play it off in my Acer program, so if these are then played off on a regular dvd player or other computer will it still work?!

Sorry about this stupid question but I'm still learning. Don't laugh Steve!
Not laughing Debs
Have you tried in another dvd player yet?
Sometimes (& this is where uncle James is sort of half right) older players will not always read certain types of DVD. You have DVD-r, DVD+r, DVDrw, DVD+rw & DVD RAM (did I miss anything?)
This has something to do with the reflective surface & the laser in the player usually.
So, it's not the burning of the disc usually, more the actual compatibility between media & player.
More here
The message you got looks to me like the peecee is telling you that you have to play it in that program, as it may have been copied using it, or Acer is the default player for DVDs.
Stick it in a normal player & see what happens.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Pista
Cureboi

James Blast wrote:why don't you stick it in one and see what happens? ;D
Almost word for word there....

:lol: :lol: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

Cheers guys! :notworthy: :kiss:

No in my over eagerness to get things posted I did not check in a normal dvd player ~ stupid me!

Oh well thanks for the tips boys and the other two boys who receive things from me in the post if I've f**ked up I'll do it again! Let me know please!
that ongoing eternity
Andy TG
Overbomber

Bartek wrote:i use option "data" even for the music and always when i want to burn a film/gig etc.
that is the best way to avoid complications with burning on "Nero"
That is the same as I do when burning any type of data - except when *backing up* audio cds.
This Is Not Ordinary S & M
This Is M & S S & M
Andy TG
Overbomber

MadameButterfly wrote:Cheers guys! :notworthy: :kiss:

No in my over eagerness to get things posted I did not check in a normal dvd player ~ stupid me!

Oh well thanks for the tips boys and the other two boys who receive things from me in the post if I've f**ked up I'll do it again! Let me know please!
@ Madame - whenever I burn files to be played on a regular DVD Player I always rename all the file names to NOT include any spaces. I have found that most domestic stand alone DVD players wont play or read disc data that includes spaces. I remove all dots (.) and dashes (-) etc

I discovered this purely by trail and error. Has anyone else discovered this to be the case?
This Is M & S S & M
James Blast
Banned

I just use a Mac.... :innocent:
~ Peter Steele
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

Andy TG wrote:
MadameButterfly wrote:Cheers guys! :notworthy: :kiss:

@ Madame - whenever I burn files to be played on a regular DVD Player I always rename all the file names to NOT include any spaces. I have found that most domestic stand alone DVD players wont play or read disc data that includes spaces. I remove all dots (.) and dashes (-) etc

I discovered this purely by trail and error. Has anyone else discovered this to be the case?
I learnt that trick a long time again Andy! My snazzy lappy tells me things I never knew before, the finding of files however is a pain in the butt...but I will stick in there and just learn! I suppose I'll just have to get used to these new programmes I've never worked with before and read and learn....don't you love computer technology! :D
that ongoing eternity
James Blast
Banned

forgive me, please... but

where's the "yawn" smiley when I need it?
~ Peter Steele
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

I'm sorry Mr. Blast but an apple is not the end's arse of this world!

:roll:
that ongoing eternity
Andy TG
Overbomber

MadameButterfly wrote:I'm sorry Mr. Blast but an apple is not the end's arse of this world!

@ Madame INDEED! :wink:
This Is M & S S & M
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

Andy TG wrote:
MadameButterfly wrote:I'm sorry Mr. Blast but an apple is not the end's arse of this world!

@ Madame INDEED! :wink:
Hee! :twisted:
that ongoing eternity