Dave Allen

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Karst
Slight Overbomber

Quick question about Dave Allen who produced FALAA. Its often cited that he was hired because of the Chameleons record that he did. I was looking into this earlier today, but I noticed that that album was released after the Sister's debut? I did notice he worked with Depeche Mode and Human League. More crucially, he worked with Hussey on the Dead or Aliver album?
DasPerltAber
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Karst wrote:Quick question about Dave Allen who produced FALAA. Its often cited that he was hired because of the Chameleons record that he did. I was looking into this earlier today, but I noticed that that album was released after the Sister's debut? I did notice he worked with Depeche Mode and Human League. More crucially, he worked with Hussey on the Dead or Aliver album?
I always had the impression it was more because of his rather succesful work with The Cure..with the Walk Away single as a sort of a try out to see how the record buyers/press would respond to the combination of the Sisters sound and the Eldritch/Allen production/mixing ... but then..what do I know? :wink:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

aye, 86

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strange_Times

dunno where you might have heard that chams reference tbh

he was a pretty well established producer by that time, but the DOA link is interesting.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Karst
Slight Overbomber

I think I read it in the Heartland book? Not really being au fait with the Chameleons, does Strange Times have the same production values as FALAA?
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

not really comparible - its a completely diff sound tbh. real drums for a start :lol:

and a lot more reverb & echo on the chams guitars :?

if it helps, the track you are most likely to have heard is 'swamp thing', and that's from ST.

ST is generally regarded as the point where the band went a bit too american indie/college rock and lost their uniqueness. they split up not long after that. while i agree its probably their most accessible sounding album (a term often used as a criticism), its still an absolute classic and contains some stunnign songs, such as caution, soul in isolation, etc etc 8)
Karst
Slight Overbomber

Thanks Quiff.
James Blast
Banned

<slight derail>
Strange Times is my most played Chams album, I wouldn't say it shared any similarities to FALAA in production or style, next up I'd go for What does Anything Mean, Basically (my most enduring Chams album), I find the production on Script of the Bridge a bit sparse and gloomy and expect to be shouted down for this ;D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

James Blast wrote:<slight derail>
Strange Times is my most played Chams album, I wouldn't say it shared any similarities to FALAA in production or style, next up I'd go for What does Anything Mean, Basically (my most enduring Chams album), I find the production on Script of the Bridge a bit sparse and gloomy and expect to be shouted down for this ;D
i'm with you completely on that one, herr blast ;)

script has some very fab songs on, but TBH i find there isn't the variety of texture on the individual song production for me... some of them tend to merge into one, despite them all being classic songs...
James Blast
Banned

thankee Boss! 8) but...
I do know a certain member in Forres who would disagree with oor appraisals, maybe a split to General Chat would be appropriate as a nice bit of ChamChat is allas welcome :D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Dark
Underneath the Rock

I remember Ness (and Jo?) being somewhat displeased at my saying that everything on Script Of The Bridge sounded the same. I didn't say they sounded bad, just the same. :lol:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

i bet they were :lol:
Dark
Underneath the Rock

I just meant that they all sounded okay, but I couldn't tell one song from another. :lol:

Props on the Lynn Anderson lyrics in your .sig, Boss. ;)
Debaser
Overbomber

Dark wrote:I just meant that they all sounded okay, but I couldn't tell one song from another. :lol:
Cloth ears :roll: You listen to far to much 'noize' it's dulled yer senses :kiss:
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
Scardwel
Slight Overbomber

I don't really "get" The Chams <duck>.
I mean, I don't mind 'em but I don't have the same high regard for 'em as most people around here seem to.
And that "comeback" gig I saw in York in 2002 left me somewhat underwhelmed. :|
The Scene won't save you...
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Scardwel wrote:I don't really "get" The Chams <duck>.
I mean, I don't mind 'em but I don't have the same high regard for 'em as most people around here seem to.
that gig was a disaster though :lol:
Spiggy's hat
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Quiff Boy wrote:
Scardwel wrote:I don't really "get" The Chams <duck>.
that gig was a disaster though :lol:
It was the last time that I managed to see them live. I also forgot to record an episode of "I'm Alan Partridge" on the night in question. :x

Some nice pics of the evening, from the lovely Sonja.

http://www.chelseamonday.co.uk/fibbers0923/
Give me one good reason
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

:lol: all the usual suspects on those pictures ;D

including, me, in purple :o

http://www.chelseamonday.co.uk/fibbers0 ... 33_JPG.htm

brrrrr :lol:

mind you, scardy seems to be enjoying himself on this one ;) :innocent:

http://www.chelseamonday.co.uk/fibbers0 ... 31_JPG.htm

:lol:
Scardwel
Slight Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:mind you, scardy seems to be enjoying himself on this one ;) :innocent:
http://www.chelseamonday.co.uk/fibbers0 ... 31_JPG.htm
:lol:
Must've been the Timmy Taylor Ale (on form as I recall) :wink:
The Scene won't save you...
Spigel
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

dave's 'homepage'

A Music and MP3 blog by Dave Allen of Gang of Four.
http://www.pampelmoose.com

and the latest news therein:

Allen and Burnham Exit Gang of Four
http://www.pampelmoose.com/mspeaks/2008 ... ng-of-four
James Blast
Banned

a bloke on that website wrote:Dave,
I saw the DC show and it was awesome… I had seen Hugo, Jon, and Andy with Sara Lee (Songs of the Free tour) and the Hard tour in Milwaukee, then saw Jon and Andy in a weird show on a snowy night in DC. But the original line up was the best.

Speaking of snowy nights… I saw you with Shriekback on a snowy night in Milwaukee… it was incredible… any chance of a Shriekback reunion? (I know, Barry still has a band, but you know… All Lined Up, Suck!, My Spine Is The Bassline, Fish Below The Ice…)

not James Blast

thankee Boss :D
~ Peter Steele
Debaser
Overbomber

http://www.chelseamonday.co.uk/fibbers0 ... 21_JPG.htm

:lol: :lol: :lol: It was hard work watching gigs I tell you, midway we always needed a kip.

Thanks for bringing this thread back up.
James Blast
Banned

Burn my eyes! :lol:
~ Peter Steele
Debaser
Overbomber

Well we were younger then,
And the days were long and slow
But were we wiser then?
I couldn't say, I wouldn't know

:lol: Now THAT's a first, me managing to quote Chams lyrics. I may have to lie down :lol: :lol:
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

They are great piccies...
&#8206;"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."