VIDEO SOFTWARE

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Silver_Owl
The Don

Does anybody know of any decent (& free) video editing software?

Basically, I've bought a Hard drive camcorder and it comes with some very basic software which allows you to burn it to DVD.

I want to be able to overdub soundtrack and add titles, fade in blah blah blah.....

I've had a decco on download.com but cannae find anything free that does what I need.

Any ideas most welcome.....

Steve Scorsese. :D
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Don't know of a free one, but I lofs me some Pinnacle Studio - $50, 25 quid to you.
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
Silver_Owl
The Don

EvilBastard wrote:Don't know of a free one, but I lofs me some Pinnacle Studio - $50, 25 quid to you.
..and is it da bomb as they say in the neighbourhood?
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Hom_Corleone wrote:
EvilBastard wrote:Don't know of a free one, but I lofs me some Pinnacle Studio - $50, 25 quid to you.
..and is it da bomb as they say in the neighbourhood?
Not only is it da bomb, but tis also the badger's nadgers or the dog's danglies, whichever you prefer.
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
robertzombie
Overbomber

Windows Movie Maker is easy and does all the basic stuff.

BUT sometimes crashes :!:
christophe
Overbomber

robertzombie wrote:Windows Movie Maker is easy and does all the basic stuff.

BUT sometimes crashes :!:
Sometimes? :eek:
I can't get to to work for 2min without having to restart (what I usualy don't do anyway :roll: )
Another Shade of You.
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

Sometimes you can find older versions of decent software on some computer/video related magazines - or in case of doubt: ebay

You will only need super duper state of the art software if you are going to edit x.264 encoded or HighDef related stuff.
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

robertzombie wrote:Windows Movie Maker is easy and does all the basic stuff.
Did the trick when I moved some videos onto YouTube. And QuickTime's another option...
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
mh
Above the Chemist

It depends on the full extent of what you want to do. Handbrake seems pretty comprehensive, but can only encode to HD. TMPGEnc is fantastic, but the freebie version can't do MPEG2 beyond 30 days, and it comes with a steep-ish learning curve. Virtualdub is also good, but only outputs AVI. Various versions of Nero that come free with DVD drives will do most of what you want, but they use their own proprietary format. And that's about the limit of what I'm familiar with...
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
nodubmanshouts
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I want to be able to overdub soundtrack and add titles, fade in blah blah blah.....
I'll second (or is that third?) Windows Movie Maker. Never had a problem with it myself, but your mileage may vary...
Silver_Owl
The Don

Thanks for all the advise guys. :D Looks like I'm sorted now. :wink:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.