the Doors...

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

...is actually pretty effin brilliant. Just thought you should know that.

i'm a certified Jim Morrison fan, from about yesterday onwards.

That's all, folx.
we've got beer and we've got fuel
christophe
Overbomber

good for you.
Another Shade of You.
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

Haha, i knew someone would say JUST that.
Silver_Owl
The Don

Are you talking about them in general or the movie?
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
christophe
Overbomber

is there a movie? I was under the impression it was a band?
Another Shade of You.
Silver_Owl
The Don

We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
christophe
Overbomber

Hom_Corleone wrote:Click
I'm not a compleat idiot you know. :wink:

but when someone is talking about a band I don't place the connection to some movie that might have been made about them (certainly not when it is with actors)
Another Shade of You.
Silver_Owl
The Don

You asked
christophe wrote:is there a movie?
I answered. :innocent: :lol:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

i'm talking about them in general, and Jim Morrison in particular.

Oh yeah, there was a movie directed by some z......ist. But Meg Ryan's in it so i never thought to watch it...
Silver_Owl
The Don

itnAklipse wrote:i'm talking about them in general, and Jim Morrison in particular.

Oh yeah, there was a movie directed by some z......ist. But Meg Ryan's in it so i never thought to watch it...
Now you've gone and let yourself down again by bringing irrelevant subject matter into it. :| Tut tut.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
EvilBastard
Overbomber

[pedant]

The phrase "The Doors is pretty effin brilliant" would indicate that the brilliant thing is singular. Therefore the implication is that The Doors is, perhaps, a film or an album, but not a band. "The Doors are pretty effin brilliant" would clarify your statement and make it apparent to the readers that in this case you were referring to the band. Of course, the optimal phrase would be "The Doors is a pretty effin brilliant band."

[/pedant]
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
Silver_Owl
The Don

EvilBastard wrote:[pedant]

The phrase "The Doors is pretty effin brilliant" would indicate that the brilliant thing is singular. Therefore the implication is that The Doors is, perhaps, a film or an album, but not a band. "The Doors are pretty effin brilliant" would clarify your statement and make it apparent to the readers that in this case you were referring to the band. Of course, the optimal phrase would be "The Doors is a pretty effin brilliant band."

[/pedant]
That's why I asked my initial question. :wink:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Hom_Corleone wrote:

[/pedant]
That's why I asked my initial question. :wink:
I'm not the only one here, after all - hooray! ;D :lol: :innocent: :notworthy: ;)
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

The Doors are, I find, a fine weather band...nowt better than sunshine to bring out the best in the Doors

we used the snippet 'the movie is about to begin...' with a spliff and lava lamp in the background for our weedding video

we were so young then :lol: :lol: :innocent:
Goths have feelings too
Pursued By Trees
Road Kill

[/pedant]
I assumed that it was the album that was being referred to, in which case I'd be in full agreement.

If it was the band in general, then I personally reckon that their output tended to get a bit patchy over the course of their later albums.

If it was the film then I'd have to take issue.

The scene of the Ed Sullivan show with the performance of 'Light My Fire' epitomises the reasons behind my mistrust of biopics. The clip of the actual performance is readily available. It's clear that Jim didn't emphasize the word 'higher' in the way that he's portrayed as having done in the movie.

Fair enough, I can understand how this represents the Morrison sense of humour and rebellion in a cheekily endearing manner, but I'd rather that they had re-enacted the anti-speed radio message bit as described in the Danny Sugarman book ... although I do appreciate that this perhaps wouldn't have been quite as endearing to a lot of the American movie-going public.
I'm headed for the trees over there
If that's not a destination
I don't care
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

Jim was sexy and a bad ass! He did huge amounts of LSD!

I'll always love him.
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

My main surprise is that anyone who's into the Sisters has taken so long to discover the Doors.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

markfiend wrote:My main surprise is that anyone who's into the Sisters has taken so long to discover the Doors.
*Coughs*
Erm...this may come as a surprise (or not), but I've never liked The Doors. I don't care for Jim's voice, and the repetitive keyboard bits in many of their tunes drive me batty. :( The only Doors tune that I enjoy at all is "The End." Alas. :|
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
boudicca
Sister Midnight

I heard them when I was in Starbucks. That depressed me for the rest of the week.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Pista
Cureboi

boudicca wrote:I heard them when I was in Starbucks. That depressed me for the rest of the week.
Being in Starbucks can be very depressing for sure.
:innocent:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
boudicca
Sister Midnight

I thought I'd let somebody else do that one :wink:
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Andy TG
Overbomber

Ironic fact for all you "Doors" fans - I was born on the same day The Doors played their last ever gig, supported by Iggy And The Stooges in San Francisco

How GOTH is that LOL
This Is Not Ordinary S & M
This Is M & S S & M
Andy TG
Overbomber

MadameButterfly wrote:Jim was sexy and a bad ass! He did huge amounts of LSD!

I'll always love him.
@ Madame - YOU would ;-)
This Is Not Ordinary S & M
This Is M & S S & M
_emma_
Overbomber

I used to love their songs a lot until I read Jim's biography. Similar thing as with Joy Division for me: on the one hand pure genius to listen to, on the other a very ugly story behind the genius. Far too ugly to fully appreciate the genius - sorry. :| Just my opinion.
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

Andy TG wrote:
MadameButterfly wrote:Jim was sexy and a bad ass! He did huge amounts of LSD!

I'll always love him.
@ Madame - YOU would ;-)
Yes indeed! But I've loved the Doors forever it feels like!
I'm a weird woman Andy!

just like that movie natural born killers...people got up and left just as the movie started, and i was just sat there understanding and enjoying that movie with all the reasons to.
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity