Sisters hiatus

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Timmac
Road Kill

Ha! I've only been around here for a week and this is the second time a thread has turned into a discusson on the merits, or lack of, "Ocean Rain".

The last one made me realise I'd never updated me Bunnymen collection with the CD reissues, so they're on the way - well, the first three, couldn't get "OR" from the cheapo online store I used. Nevermind. :wink:

I thnk the problem is, as mentioned, it was trumpeted as "The Greatest Album Of All Time" by the band before it was released and patently wasn't. Strange to hear bad things about "The Killing Moon" though. :eek:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

The Merry Thoughts? :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

James Blast wrote:copious amounts of beer had been consumed and a family wedding survived
Say no more. :wink:
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

Timmac wrote: I thnk the problem is, as mentioned, it was trumpeted as "The Greatest Album Of All Time" by the band before it was released and patently wasn't. Strange to hear bad things about "The Killing Moon" though. :eek:
As much as I love the records and enjoy seeing the Bunnymen live, I don't think it's any real secret that the default position for Mac's head is firmly up his arse. With an ego his size that's gotta hurt! :lol:
But really, would we want him any other way?
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Clownpants wrote: Its a bit like pxxn films, you get bored of em but the best ones will always be watched again and again (even if you have to watch them in a mirror to make them look different)
:lol: i know exactly what you mean. :oops:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
BillyBadBreaks
Fat Forgetful Bastard

While redecorating my house I have been on a total Sisters kick - wow, now I remember why I love them. I have been playing boots from every era and they all stand up on their own merits. :notworthy:
You still think swastikas look cool
The real nazis run your schools
They're coaches, businessmen and cops
In a real fourth reich you'll be the first to go
slicepack
Amphetamine Filth

I haven't listen to the girls for quite a while now - I guess it's because the back catalogue is so tied to past - times have changed, the world has moved on and TSOM have stubbonly refused to create any musical background to the culture and society of the last few years, making them, in my opinion, artistically irelevant.

Until we get a new album - Eldritch is just trading on past glories, which is nostalgia touring by any other name - you're doing the work - you may as well have the job description.
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

After all these years, I still can bearly go a week without listening to some snippet - Never Land full version particularly at the mo.

There is something about Floodland though that reaches into my guts and pulls out the soft gooey bits and drags me back to the first time I heard it - almost every time I have a whole body reaction to it..... Time and place I suppose (FYI in a studio painting with a bunch of art-school goffs, quaffing vodka and discussing the unquestionable worth of oil painting in the 20th Century... :lol: :lol: before just lying on the floor listening in awe... one of the best days of my life ;D )
as the day is long,
rain from heaven
sultan2075
Overbomber

Prescott wrote:I have to admit that there are times of pure hatred for the lack of a new album that result in the current favorite of the month being The Merry Thoughts. Most unfortunately I must admit that Millennium Done I: Empire songs and especially Psychocult are the best Sisters albums that are not Sisters albums. Mr. Arkham even includes the obligatory references to T.S. Eliot. Too bad I can't persuade him to cover all the unreleased Sisters tracks. Imagine a tMt version of Crash And Burn?

It'd be a f*ck lot better than the 30th shoddy live bootleg version we have to look forward to otherwise.

Back to waiting I guess.
I think the Merry Thoughts are one of the absolute worst bands I have ever heard. They really are terrible. I can forgive sucking if they sucked in new or interesting ways, or even if they did it with a lot of passion, but the combination of lack of originality with utter mediocrity is actually WORSE than simply being a bad band.
Last edited by sultan2075 on 30 May 2008, 15:49, edited 1 time in total.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
darkparticle
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

:eek: I go through many phases of listening or not listening (not just the sisters :wink: )

I've never thought to, or associated those peaks and troughs with a relationship I feel I might be having with them or their sound :eek: :roll: :oops: :urff:
People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid.

- Soren Aabye Kierkegaard