Okay, Let's talk (like adults) about the 'new songs'

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
markreed
Amphetamine Filth

every one of the new songs stands up the equal of the known recorded output.

They will probably never be released. Personally, if I had about £100,000,000 in the bank, I'd sink a few million into a vanity label to get those fuckers out on CD. Shame I'm not very very well off, for all our sakes.
Scardwel
Slight Overbomber

markreed wrote:every one of the new songs stands up the equal of the known recorded output.
That's quite a bold statement, and I'm inclined to agree on the basis that I'm not too keen on several of the "new" unreleased songs, and the same can be said of some of their back catalogue (Torch, YCBTO, B&S, half of VT anyone?) :?
The Sisters have always had their odd "dodgy" moment IMHO (like most bands do from time to time) but the good stuff makes up for it. :wink:
The Scene won't save you...
Husek
Slight Overbomber

Whoa, there's a lot of diferent opinions about 'new songs'
and what about the 'old songs' with a touch of new?
i already had made a topic about burn i guess, and everbory just have love burn...
but...anyone had liked the new anaconda ? everything is nice but the chorus its so...weak? where is that a lot of "she will she will ..."? its just a she willllll now? :|
Project Personal Dok
Hardware: 100% (Single Hackintosh)
AU: 90%
Software: 90%
The Final Floorshow - My Own Sisters T-Shirt Shop
robertzombie
Overbomber

I like the revamped old songs, I just wish they'd revamp more of em!
James Blast
Banned

if we could "hear them like adults" (ye ken, properly produced or from a cleaned up soundboard) then perhaps we can have a proper chat, eh?

Flux of Pink Indians album :|
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Dark
Underneath the Rock

See, I'm in the minority, but I quite like the "She wiiiiiill" chorus to Anaconda now. The drums are pretty storming too. Though I can never tell how I feel about how the first post-chorus guitar solo is omitted.. on the one hand, it makes it all the more impressive when it comes, on the other, it just sounds a bit odd.
Perhaps if sung with a bit of energy, and with that guitar solo played a little more faithfully (oh, and add the feedback-like whine during the second verse again!) it'd be class.

..actually, I think I'm just asking for a more beefed-up version of the single. Oh well, I still love that song. Might dig it out in a second.
James Blast
Banned

you think Throbbing Gristle are pleasant 'tho, don'tcha? ;D

not my idea of a "Rock 'n' Roll band..." etc.

UFO are a "Rock 'n' Roll" Band!!! :D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Dark
Underneath the Rock

I wouldn't say pleasant. They would say Very Friendly.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

I think the new Anaconda is better than the old, which always sounded a bit tinny to me. But I'd like the new chorus to be sung as backing vocals to the old one.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

chickenhead wrote:I don't like War On Drugs- the chorus is particularly banal.
like "hey, now, hey now now" is banal? (which of course is bollocks).
chickenhead wrote:The wailing wahoooooooooooo sounds like a throttling at a warped cowboy western hoe-down. Then it all speeds up at end faster & faster into one of those dodgy last numbers you have to suffer when you go to a disco birthday/wedding party & they all start swinging arms & legs together at increasing speed & you cannot escape :(
i've always thought that the sisters inspired you to either love or hate them, and when people say what they hate about them it's often the things that IMO make them head (and star) and shouders above the rest;however comaring them to the birdie song or agadoo makes me wonder if you like them at all.
i hope not -i love it when people hate the sisters, makes them easy to get rid of.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Silver_Owl
The Don

If it has the added bonus of making me smile (which it does when he does his woo-ooh_ it gets extra points from me. :D

It's all beautiful man. :von:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
il duce
Amphetamine Filth

I am not sure that anyone can call 10 year old songs new. When was the last "new" one? 2 years ago, 3?

I love Sisters I really do and think that Chris C is one the best things that has happend to them in a long time, but seriously this is pathetic. One new song every second year or something.

What he needs to do now to spark my interest, and I no I do not think we will get a new album, is a whole new setlist. Why not play whole of Floodland in order. Or only unrealesed songs, just something that is not same bloody set again.
Silver_Owl
The Don

il duce wrote:What he needs to do now to spark my interest, and I no I do not think we will get a new album, is a whole new setlist.
It's sparked your interest enough to post on a Sisters forum. :wink:

But seriously I do like your idea of an album show....Or an EP show if they would do Reptile House. :D

And hello by the way and welcome.....
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
mh
Above the Chemist

Provided they do the old songs properly. ;)

But hey, it's summer and I'm in a good mood, so I'll just say that if MBV can do it, why can't the Sisters?
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Yes, a new setlist is definitely required.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

i think these days the set-list is as much determined by what von can still get his larynx around as by what he can be arsed to play. i reckon that's why we get shortened verions of songs like dominion and flood 1.
i
agree it would be nice to see a bit of variation, but really that's only from the point of the live recordings having a bit of variety. when you're physically there the gestalt of the experience outweighs the content by a long chalk...that's why bootlegs of gigs attended can sound atrocious/vastly different in retrospect compared to the glowing experience/memory.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
eotunun
Overbomber

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: when you're physically there the gestalt of the experience outweighs the content by a long chalk...that's why bootlegs of gigs attended can sound atrocious/vastly different in retrospect compared to the glowing experience/memory.
Praise him, for he speaketh truth!
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
"These are my principles! And if you don't like the just says so, I have others, too!"
~Rufus T. Firefly
radiojamaica
Overbomber

I've been enjoying Come Together a lot lately. It makes for a perfect summer tune :D

Romeo Down & Susanne are classics in my book.

And I quite like War on Drugs, Summer & Slept too...
in dub we trust
Caravaggio
Road Kill

What I ask myself is: even if there would be a new record sometimes, is it likely that the "old-new" songs like Come Together, Summer, War On Drugs or Romeo Down appear on this record? Is any of these songs written by Eldritch? I heard that at least Summer is by Pearson and I doubt that they would release an album with songs written by former members.

btw: Hi, I'm new here (first gig Berlin ('90) last gig Interlaken ('06)). Sorry for my english.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

AE wrote the lyrics to Adam Pearson's music, so presumably he'd be interested in recording them. But Adam has issues about how they should be released, making it unlikely they'll see the light of day.

Oh, and welcome to the Heartland.
eotunun
Overbomber

Wellcome from here as well!

If Adam is any clever, he'll agree with the tunes being published at any condition if he wants to see any benefit from them. ...just in case the rumours he blocks their release are true. It would be a crying shame if those tunes would remain unknown&unavailable to the public.
"These are my principles! And if you don't like the just says so, I have others, too!"
~Rufus T. Firefly
Silver_Owl
The Don

Caravaggio wrote:btw: Hi, I'm new here...
Hello and welcome. :D
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Hom_Corleone wrote:
Caravaggio wrote:btw: Hi, I'm new here...
Hello and welcome. :D
Seconded! :)
"as we walk on the floodland"
Ocean Moves
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Arrrgh! wrote:There is really no reason to think they ever will be.

If it hasn't happened by now, it's never going to happen. Why would it?

I'd love to think I'm wrong, but when Axel Rose hands over the masters of Chinese Democracy after 16 years and there's still no sign of life from the Sisters' camp, then it's time to pack up and move on.
I wouldn't say it's time to move on (hey, who's moved on - we're
talking about it right now) but I would say that the possibility of a
cellophane wrapped compact disc being on amazon isn't very great.

I think this is because we've reached a stalemate; if nobody is prepared
to pay AE to record and release the material on record, he'd rather hold
on to it as incentive to attend the gigs.

Why won't anyone pay AE for a new record?
Well, the major labels are in a right state; they have totally missed
the boat on the convergence of digital media with the internet, and they're
trying to survive on re-releasing back catalogue music of big artists
(considered to be the lowest risk/biggest return)
hence they won't touch a new sisters album (at least, not for the money
AE believe it to be worth).

I'm not exactly puzzled by AE's reliance upon gigs; the the experience of
being at a live show is one thing that cannot be illegally shared over
the internet.
(Some also argue that this is how live music originated, and that the concept of packaging for replay in another media is simply a diversion that's been developed by those who felt they could turn it into a commodity and make money out of it - perhaps the internet heralds an age when that will not longer be possible, and artists can record, produce, advertise and distribute their art without the need to pay a record label to do it - and all this will be done only to expose the artist so that people will choose to attend their live shows....HOWEVER if an artist DOES want to make money out of a record, where does all this leave them? about where AE is right now, I reckon).