Laptop help desperately needed

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Since a while when I have my pc on it shuts down all power at a random moment. When on internet it shuts down more quickly. When using YouTube it shuts down within a few minutes. It has become more than anoying. :evil: :evil: :| :(

My AVG anti-virus detects no virus so a viral cause does not seem to be the problem.

Anyone any idea what the problem is and how it can be solved? All help is most welcome! :notworthy:
"as we walk on the floodland"
christophe
Overbomber

full diskdrive? :P

(that was my problem yesterday :roll: )
Another Shade of You.
robertzombie
Overbomber

Is it plugged in? ;D
psichonaut
Overbomber

i had the same problem with mine...scanned it with 2 different spy-ware and antivirus... all turned right :D
thanks...my Lord...i'm unbeliver
tear up your pants for psicho...and jump on him
Pista
Cureboi

Dodgy power supply perhaps.
You running off ac?
If you're on battery it could be the battery contacts or the battery.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
mh
Above the Chemist

Assuming it's not a hardware problem, I've seen this before and have been bitten by it before, on machines that have had absolutely nothing wrong with them. My money is on the following for the solution...

If you have access to the Group Policy Editor (should be good for both XP Pro and Vista (spit)):

Start | Run | gpedit.msc | Computer Configuration | Windows Settings | Security Settings | Local Policies | Security Options | set "Audit: Shut down system immediately..." to Disabled.

If you don't have access to the Group Policy Editor, try emptying your Security Logs. It'll get you out of the woods, but the problem will come back next time they fill up.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Thanks for the replies so far. :notworthy:

@ C: It is not the problem.
@ robertzombie: :innocent: :lol:
@ psichonaut: The PC shuts down before the scan is able to finish.
@ Pista: The power supply was my first thought but it is not the cause I think.
@mh: No acces to Group Policy Editor so I emptied all Logs. I really thought it could be the key but it's not.

Weird thing is that now it shuts down after 30% of the Spyware scan over and over again while before today my pc stayed on for a couple of hours.

:evil:
Pista
Cureboi

Could be overheating also.

What is it exactly?

*expects a load of "get a mac" posts*
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

I'd suggest running an online antivirus like Panda, just to be sure?

Otherwise no idea at all, and obviously I need to copy Pista's last four words :wink:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
James Blast
Banned

Get a Dick! :lol:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Pista wrote:Could be overheating also.

What is it exactly?

*I expected that as well :lol: *

I have thought about the overheating but the "cooling system" seems to work fine.

The laptop has been on for around 2 hours now. Since last night I have tried to run Spyware for about 10 times. It shuts down within 20 minutes.
It also shuts down soon when I use Youtube or a chatting programm like MSN.
Sometimes I am downloading music for hours and it does NOT shot down ever. To me it makes no sense at all.

What exactly happens is that all power is gone. It does not close programms or anything. Just a complete black screen.
When I try to put it on I have to push the "on" button for about 5 times before the laptop starts running again.
It is almost 6 years old now.
Pista
Cureboi

I meant what sort of laptop (model, make etc.).

:wink:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Pista wrote:I meant what sort of laptop (model, make etc.).

:wink:
:lol: :oops:

Packard Bell (2002)
Mobile AMD Athlon(tm) XP-M
2200+
"clock speed" 662 MHz, 224 MB
psichonaut
Overbomber

get a new lap-top...that's better
thanks...my Lord...i'm unbeliver
tear up your pants for psicho...and jump on him
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

psichonaut wrote:get a new lap-top...that's better
I might if this can't be solved Marco.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

battery failure sounds like a possible cause - as if the battery isn't holding its charge (common with older batteries) :?:

tried running any software to test the battery health? look for 'original capacity', 'current capacity' and 'cycles' (which is the number of times its been rund down and then recharged)

i reckon your cycles will be high, and there will be a big difference between the orig and the current capacities... its a common issue with older laptop batteries :|
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Quiff Boy wrote:battery failure sounds like a possible cause - as if the battery isn't holding its charge (common with older batteries) :?:

tried running any software to test the battery health? look for 'original capacity', 'current capacity' and 'cycles' (which is the number of times its been rund down and then recharged)

i reckon your cycles will be high, and there will be a big difference between the orig and the current capacities... its a common issue with older laptop batteries :|
Ta!

Even if the laptop receives its energy from the electricity net?
It has been off the net for like 5 times in almost 6 years.

Just gave it a try with Battery Eater Pro v2.70.
On the net it is 100% and it stays that way; On battery only it starts at 99.9% and goes slowly down less than 1% a minute.
Though the programm is not talking about cycles and capacity it seems to me the battery is fine. ?

It has been ok for around 3 hours now. I try to run Spybot once again to see what happens.

@ Zeno: I will try that as well. Thanks!
Ghost
Road Kill

Pista wrote:Could be overheating also.

What is it exactly?

Sounds like, as it's always after some high cpu usage. Laptops tend to trap a lot of dust in their coolers after some years of use.
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

@ Zeno: Panda says "no virus detected"

@ Ghost: I have heard of that but why has it worked perfectly fine the past 3 hours and I started Spyware again and it just shut down again almost at once! I have tried to run Spyware for around 20 times now. It works fine for hours or minutes depending on what programms I run.
Same happens when I open Youtube; shut down within minutes.

Makes no sense to me at all. :roll:
eotunun
Overbomber

What Ghost said does make sense, though. The Flash Player consumes quite a bit of power. Have you ever done a fresh instalation in those six years?
Hm. Another idea: Does the CPU fan work propperly? Could it be you changed the place where you use the pooter and now accidently obstruct the venting slots? (I know: Daft idea, but if the machine otherwise seems to be okay, maybe it's up to such minor bits)
There is shadow under this red rock
Pista
Cureboi

Check out the cooling system.
It prolly is a bit full of stuff after all this time & those flash programs do set it off a bit.
Worth a try before you chuck it out of the window.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Thanks for all the advice. I'll keep on trying and checking stuff.
Ghost
Road Kill

You can try a program like Everest to check your cpu temps realtime to see if there's a pattern. The problem is that some sensors on laptop mobos might not be supported or read correctly.
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Ghost wrote:You can try a program like Everest to check your cpu temps realtime to see if there's a pattern. The problem is that some sensors on laptop mobos might not be supported or read correctly.
Very nice program. Thanks! :notworthy:
(can't find any clues for the problem though)
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

Remove the battery and just run it on the mains. if you still have problems then it probably isn't the battery.

If you can get an air compressor and blow out the fan and heat sink exhaust (don't let the fan spin. If possible remove the fan so you can give the whole area a thorough cleaning.

The next steps would be to clone the hard drive and see if a new hard drive fixes the problem.

Last thing i would do if that didn't work is change the memory.

Anything else would need the laptop to be sent back to the manufacturer and the for the total cost of getting it repaired if it is out of warranty, you may as well buy a new PC.

Considering you can get a decent PC for 3 or 400 quid now, it would probably be the best option.

Speedfan is also a very good program for temperature control.
24.24.2.489 Deceased