Help! (the Audacity of him)

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
James Blast
Banned

My program for sucking audio off my old cassettes (Sound Studio) stopped working today. So, I went looking for something else and found Audacity.

Question#1: I started recording a bit earlier than the track started, so how to I circumcise all that 'dead air' from the recording, as opposed to starting all over again?

NB. I is Mac, but I'm pretty sure there's a lot of cross-platform common ground.

thanke
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Pat
Slight Overbomber

Can you try cutting it,as in cut and paste ?There has to be an edit tool on it somewhere.
James Blast
Banned

Begorrah!

I feel so cheap now... :|
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
EvilBastard
Overbomber

I use a bog-standard WAV editor - record the entire side of the tape in one session and then chop it up song by song. Convert to MP3 at the compression rate of your choice. Looks like Audacity offers the ability to "Edit Ogg Vorbis, MP3, WAV or AIFF sound files", so it's in there somewhere.
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
mh
Above the Chemist

Standard is to just select/highlight the part you wanna chop and press "Delete" (or whatever the Mac equivalent is, probably apple-shift-control-W or something wacko like that... :innocent: :twisted: )
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
James Blast
Banned

Okay, Messers. P. & C. Smarterse

Question#2: now I have a .aup file, what "fannying aboot" (a technical term used in the design world) can I do to it?
The end of my test track slides into another tune, I'd like it to fade before the next one starts.
~ Peter Steele
EvilBastard
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:Okay, Messers. P. & C. Smarterse

Question#2: now I have a .aup file, what "fannying aboot" (a technical term used in the design world) can I do to it?
The end of my test track slides into another tune, I'd like it to fade before the next one starts.
Using the WAV editor you should be able to highlight the last couple of seconds of the track and then use the Fade Out function - this will probably offer you the choice of how far you want it to fade (0% being silence) - based on the use of Creative's Wave Lab.
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
mh
Above the Chemist

(Mr PC Smarterse just remembers he has Audacity installed...)

Click and drag to highlight a selection.
View | Various Zoom commands to zoom in/out.
Edit | Delete to delete the highlighted selection.
Effect | Fade In/Out to fade in or out.
File | Export as WAV to generate a Wave from the AUP.

Should get you going! :D
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
James Blast
Banned

Thanking Yous! :D :notworthy:

Holy Shit! there's an whole bunch of 'fannying about' as can be done in this prog. :eek:

:notworthy:
~ Peter Steele
mh
Above the Chemist

It does plug-ins too, but that way lies madness... :lol:
robertzombie
Overbomber

You may also want to highlight the silence between the tracks and use the "Noise Removal" tool to get rid of any hiss :D
Highlight the noise > Edit > Noise Removal > then it's something like "get noise profile" > then highlight the entire waveform > edit > noise removal > click on "remove noise".
Takes a minute or so to remove the noise (depending on the size of the file) but it does mean that any tape or machine hiss is now gone :D
James Blast
Banned

I think I need to go lie down now...
~ Peter Steele
Syberberg
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

robertzombie wrote:You may also want to highlight the silence between the tracks and use the "Noise Removal" tool to get rid of any hiss :D
Highlight the noise > Edit > Noise Removal > then it's something like "get noise profile" > then highlight the entire waveform > edit > noise removal > click on "remove noise".
Takes a minute or so to remove the noise (depending on the size of the file) but it does mean that any tape or machine hiss is now gone :D
That's the one thing I miss from Cool Edit...erm, Audacity...now that I'm using SONAR. Of course, it probably means I've not found a noise removal machine in SONAR yet. Which is mildly embarrassing as I've been (ab)using it for a few years now.
I don't necessarily agree with everything I think.
Andy TG
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:I think I need to go lie down now...
@James -You mean you have finally realised that a "LIE DOWN" was in order to preserve your (and our) remaining sanity

Sorry mate - really could NOT resist - and I AM only Joking! ;-)
This Is Not Ordinary S & M
This Is M & S S & M
Pista
Cureboi

I used to use Audacity, but it always seemed to have problems & often buggered up the sound to a certain extent.
I since changed to Adobe Audition.
& if you think there a lot of fannying about in Audacity, then just take a look at Audition :eek:

It's so much quicker & the options for editing & mastering seem to be endless.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

James Blast wrote:Thanking Yous! :D :notworthy:

Holy Shit! there's an whole bunch of 'fannying about' as can be done in this prog. :eek:

:notworthy:
Welcome.

hahahaHAHAHAHAAAAHAAHAHAHAAA8!!!!!!!!

:twisted:

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

robertzombie wrote:You may also want to highlight the silence between the tracks and use the "Noise Removal" tool to get rid of any hiss :D
He can try to remove the tape noise using a Baxandal algorithm on the 50 or 60 hz range :twisted:

Go Blaast!

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Pista
Cureboi

If it's just chopping tracks up though, CDwave editor is perfect really.
It's prolly only compatible with monkeysoft though :roll:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
James Blast
Banned

The latest MC Blaast! Audacity sampla

Gaze at these shoes and enjoy: The Pale Saints ~ Throwing Back the Apple
~ Peter Steele
Francis
Overbomber

Dunno. :twisted:
And you know that she's half crazy but that's why you want to be there.