russian roulette

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
RicheyJames
Bad Tempered Young Man

anyone watch it? thought it was absolutely gripping myself.

and i can't understand what all the fuss is about either. "magicians" are always performing tricks in which they appear to be risking their lives. in fact, didn't paul daniels once end a tv show leaving the impression that everything had gone horribly wrong and he had in fact died? or was that just wishful thinking?
"contradictions are meaningless, there's nothing to betray"
Padstar
Utterly Bastard Smurph

I suppose shoving swords through bikini clad ladies in boxes and sawing them in half could be considered slightly risky.

Paul Daniels..... Ide love to see him do the russian roulette thing, as long as he used an automatic :)

Paddy.
Still playing guitar - sometimes weird shaped ones.
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Being an amateur magician meself, maybe you can post a link to the RR thingy or explain a bit more.
If it's a trick, I'll tell ya :-)
But I won't tell the secret :von:

IZZY.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Ian - Rhythm Smurph
Utterly Bastard Smurph

I didn't watch Derren Brown doing his russian roulette thingy but I did watch the 50 greatest later on. I'm also a bit of an amature magician and love all that stuff!

Re: Paul Daniels - he did indeed end a TV show with the impressions he had died, only to pop up after the next show that night - he got a lot of stick for that - scaring kinds on prime time etc.
Izzy HaveMercy

I went to a magic day on Saturday here in Belgium.
And I met Jeff Sheridan.
You can touch me :-)
Oh. And we totally thrashed David Blaine. :von:
And I got Sheridan's signature :von: :von:

IZZY.
Izzy HaveMercy

I read the article about the Russian Roulette and saw the streaming vid.
Nicely done. Love it.
And what's even better.... Most peeps think the trick went wrong.
But it was what Derren intended...
What would be more impressive: take a gun, put it to yer head, pull the trigger five times, hear five audible *clicks*, then shoot at the sandbag, or... take a gun, PITYH, pull the trigger twice, hear two audible *clicks*, hesitate with the third attempt, then point at the sandbag, fire the gun, hear a *click* since the chamber is empty, try again pointing at yer head twice, then shoot the bullet in the sandbag.
It's all about suspense. And the latter scenario HAS more suspense than the former...

IZZY.
mayhem
Glam Rock Throwback

All the hype put me off watching this but do any of you remember Doug Henning?

Did a brilliant illusion in which he was supposed to have drowned himself failing to escape from a tank of water.. a fireman rushed onstage to try to rescue him.. loads of suspense etc & it turned out of course that the fireman was Henning...

Probably very simple stuff but it made an impression ( I was about nine I think)

M
Izzy HaveMercy

Henning was indeed a master magician, together with Daniels, Sheridan, Penn & Teller, and Slydini, to name but a few.
Despite the fact that he was a transcendental hippie an a bit cuckoo in the head :-) I really love his style. I loathe his clothing, tho.
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

I thought it was fairly good t.v. But the guy's till called Derren, for Christssake...
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

may i point you all in the direction of this rather "amusing" thread...

http://forums.wishville.co.uk/showthrea ... #post90255

:roll: ;D :oops:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Jim
Slight Overbomber

I thought it was great - I think the guys fantastic. And as set up as the whole "oops I got it wrong" thing was, it was very effective.

Great showman.
"You do realize you're talking to a man with a human head in his hands who has every intention of using it to beat these people to death?"
Big Si
School Bully

mayhem wrote:All the hype put me off watching this but do any of you remember Doug Henning?

Did a brilliant illusion in which he was supposed to have drowned himself failing to escape from a tank of water.. a fireman rushed onstage to try to rescue him.. loads of suspense etc & it turned out of course that the fireman was Henning...

Probably very simple stuff but it made an impression ( I was about nine I think)

M
Jerry Sadowitz does a mean card trick! 8)

Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Thea
Overbomber

bah.
it's not "magic". when i was tiny i thought paul daniels and ali bongo were gods and was facinated by magic. this sort of stuff just makes me very very bitter :|
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber
Location: Rick Astley's house. Trying to find out why he chooses to look like Timsinister.

Bugger, missed it!!!
Think that Mr Blaine is a pain in the ar*e, can't stand watching him!!
Only a paand.
James Blast
Banned

I have a solution....
Derren shoots David Blaine's box, no?
it's all ice cream to me

regards
James Blast
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Andy TG
Overbomber

d00mw0lf wrote:bah.
it's not "magic". when i was tiny i thought paul daniels and ali bongo were gods and was facinated by magic. this sort of stuff just makes me very very bitter :|
I always like Ali Bongo when I was a kid but I always thought even as a child that Paul Daniels was a ****!

Daniels did a have a mad, bald German guy on his show a few times - he was great!

He also had a guy who did wonderful things with bubbles - including a square bubble with cigarette smoke inside it - oh the glamour! ;-)
This Is Not Ordinary S & M
This Is M & S S & M
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

Police have apparently just confirmed that the bullet concerned was a blank. Ho-hum...I guess it would be kind of odd to criticise magicians for not doing 'real magic'...
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
Loki
God of Mischief and Discord

MrChris wrote:'real magic'...
A nice little contradiction in words. :)

Illusions, tricks ...or should that be cons? Personally I can't get off on something I know is blatantly not real. :evil:

Apart from when Copperfield made the Orient Express dissappear after wrapping a big sheet around it. That was real. My Dad said so. :?
Loki was never worshiped as the other Gods,
Which is quite understandable.
Tinkerbell
Road Kill

AndyTheGoth wrote:
I always like Ali Bongo when I was a kid but I always thought even as a child that Paul Daniels was a ****!

Daniels did a have a mad, bald German guy on his show a few times - he was great!

He also had a guy who did wonderful things with bubbles - including a square bubble with cigarette smoke inside it - oh the glamour! ;-)

The mad german was Hans Moretti - he was great!!
Pixie Dust Lust
Jim
Slight Overbomber

Square bubbles? Can your really do that?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3169388.stm

(the derren brown thang)
"You do realize you're talking to a man with a human head in his hands who has every intention of using it to beat these people to death?"
Big Si
School Bully

Jim wrote:Square bubbles? Can your really do that?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3169388.stm

(the derren brown thang)
The Great Suprendo (Mr Victoria Wood) did 'em all the time. You never saw Crackerjack when you were a nipper, then pal? Or were you out in the garden chasing Fairies? :wink: :twisted:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
James Blast
Banned

Crackerjack!

were you were supposed to reply in kind everytime one of them said it
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber
Location: Rick Astley's house. Trying to find out why he chooses to look like Timsinister.

AndyTheGoth wrote:

Bloody hell, I remember that!!!!!
Only a paand.