Touched by the Raptor!

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Honeythorn
Amphetamine Filth

I'VE BEEN LANDED ON BY A KESTREL. NO JOKE.

I've just come in from a walk over the fields.

I took my usual route, and turned into the trees for a breather by an oak I usually stop at. I'd been standing there about 5 mins when I heard a rustle/flap and a bird of prey landed on a branch right over my head! Anyway it went from branch to branch and kept getting closer, and I figured it must be a lost pet as a wild bird surely wouldn't come that close.

So I put my arm up and it flew to me and landed on my arm after a minute or two, and then tried to eat my ring! :eek: It also allowed me to gently stroke it's back a little. It flew off onto a branch after a few minutes and came to my arm a few more times when I put it up, but when it realised I hadn't got any food it stopped coming and flew up onto a pylon nearby.

The bird had no ring on it's leg, wasn't wearing any of those leather leg things ( Jesse's or Jessies or something yes? ) and was missing a claw ( healed ) I've been on google images and I'm 99% certain it was a Female Kestrel. She seemed in good health, flew perfectly well and was very alert. Her tameness suggests to me that she was someone's pet that has either escaped :( or been let loose to fend for herself :evil:

I didn't try to actually catch her, as I have no idea how to go about such a thing with a bird of prey, and didn't want to hurt her or stress her. I have a cockatiel and a budgie who I can handle bodily, but I know a bird of prey, even a tame one wouldn't tolerate such a thing lightly. And I like having fingers !!!

I feel horrible for leaving her there, but I have no experience with catching birds of prey and I'm not sure what to do about it. She's a beautiful bird and it wrings my heart to think she might not survive too long. If she has never had to feed herself or hunt of her own accord, she might die :cry:

I've joined a UK bird forum a moment ago and posted in their bird of prey section asking if there's anyone in my area who's lost a kestrel or thinks they can catch it and give it to a falconry expert or centre.
Captain Ahab rushed in, his craziness all unzipped......

" YER NEED TO DO MORE SEX! " ~ Drunken old Yorkshireman

http://www.sadeian.org/
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

:notworthy:
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
msm67
Amphetamine Filth

:notworthy: in the meantime, perhaps you could go back to the area with a little food? I've no idea what they eat but a little beef may work. the hawks around my home seem fond of it.
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Good lord! :)
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Honeythorn
Amphetamine Filth

Yes I was thinking of going back tomorrow with some meat of some sort to see if she'll come to me again. I've had a couple of replies on the bird forum, and they said that she must have been very hungry to come to me like that. She did try to eat my ring and nibbled my fingers a little. If she's hungry enough she may come to me when she sees I have proper meat .

I would have caught her today but I had nothing on me to throw over her. I'll take a towel or jacket tomorrow.

The people on the forum said that because she was unringed, she may have been an illegally obtained pet :evil: It makes my blood boil to think that some bastard might have released her thinking she'd be able to look after herself. I know they have instincts and all, but the fact that she came to a complete stranger looking for food suggests that she more than likely doesn't know how to hunt properly :(

lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

Honeythorn wrote:...She did try to eat my ring...
I give it 30 seconds before the innuendo starts.
Honeythorn
Amphetamine Filth

Oh! You're terrible! :lol:

christophe
Overbomber

WOW :|
Another Shade of You.
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Now, can't it be one living in the wild?

His 'tame' behaviour is not always an indication of his being wild or tame, as far as I can remember (could be extreme curiosity), and again, if I'm correct, kestrels are not unusual in England living in the wild.
PlantPress Wildlife wrote:Britain's most common bird of prey with about 50, 000 pairs, the kestrel is often seen hovering over motorway verges. It is fairly frequently encountered in towns and even in the heart of large cities.
Friend of mine used to train these birds (it is a 'torenvalk' in Dutch, by the way) for medieval fairs and enactments.

Or I could be completely wrong of course. We had a wildlife expert here on the boards, no?

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Amazing! It must have been tamed at one point, one of the relatives keeps a tonne of birds-of-prey in his back garden, and they're skittish enough after years of training...

Keep us posted, thorn!
christophe
Overbomber

Actually a wild animal is usually more likely to do something like this as a animal that has been handled by people at some point.
Remember we are supposed to be at the same level in the food chain, so he has nothing to fear of us people nor has he any interest in us. an animal that know people will not be that keen to come across one after that…… :|
Another Shade of You.
eotunun
Overbomber

Dear Honeythorn, you probably either looked harmless or tasty to it. Or maybe both. I guess you failed the test for tastyness.
:P

Seriously, don't worry too much. Checking the situation tomorrow seems a wise idea, but I guess you can trust an animal's instincts.
"These are my principles! And if you don't like the just says so, I have others, too!"
~Rufus T. Firefly
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

:eek:
"as we walk on the floodland"
Dodges Unlimited Inc.
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

:notworthy: @Honeythorn ... I think maybe she knew you were a chosen one and wanted to say hello?!
Thanks for showing respect to one of our feathered friends ... :notworthy: I'd have seen this as an 'omen' myself, being a superstitious type ...
A good one for you I hope?! :wink:

There was a thunderstorm soon after this where I live in Horrorfordshire:~

Also, Nicholas' 10th Birthday on Monday! Here's him enjoying the sun earlier in the afternoon:~

:wink:
“Pension. Pay given to a state hireling for treason to his country.�
Samuel Johnson, A Dictionary of the English Language (1755)
Honeythorn
Amphetamine Filth

I went back today as the Kestrel, her tameness and apparant hunger were really preying on my mind.I didn't sleep much last night because I was thinking about it.

So I took a bit of steak (cut into little bits ) and went back to the area where I found her. Nothing there but then I heard her call so I knew she was in the trees around the field somewhere. I went across to the other side and whistled a few times ( a long whistle as I've heard some falconers do ) and to my absolute amazement she came flying across to me, hovered for a second, then landed on a branch. I held up my wrist again , this time with steak, and she came to me immediately and scarfed it down like there was no tomorrow!

So I kept feeding her little bits, and she flapped to the ground and had some there as well. I got her back on my wrist, and brought my arm right next to my body. Then I put my other hand over her wings and just held her to me ( between the boobs and close to the heart ) . She didn't struggle AT ALL, just stayed there nice and quiet, so this confirmed to me that she has been very well tamed or hand reared. I walked home with her held firmly like that and she never moved nor bit me or anything , just looked around and kept perfectly quiet. I've never known a bird so tame, even my cockatiel is more vicious!

Anyway I called the Hagley falconry centre, and they said they couldn't take her until she'd been seen by a vet due to a legislation. The guy said to take her to Hagley vet as they know the centre, and they'd check her over and advise me. So I've done just that, and they've taken her. The vet said they'd take her to the centre tomorrow. So I'll call them tomorrow and see how they've got on with her.

Speaking of Omens Dodges, on the way home I saw a cloud shaped just like a bird of prey . Pretty significant in my own mind , although not in many others I guess :p

spot778

That's amazing :eek:
End of line.
robertzombie
Overbomber

:D :notworthy:
Big Si
School Bully

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

oh it looks cute - and well camouflaged
eotunun
Overbomber

:notworthy: :notworthy: It's a little beauty indeed! :notworthy: :notworthy:
"These are my principles! And if you don't like the just says so, I have others, too!"
~Rufus T. Firefly
boudicca
Sister Midnight

:notworthy: Feathered friends (see my sig, the immortal words of Planet Dave, referring to me :lol: :oops: ).
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Dodges Unlimited Inc.

Honeythorn wrote:
Speaking of Omens Dodges, on the way home I saw a cloud shaped just like a bird of prey . Pretty significant in my own mind , although not in many others I guess :p
:eek: and :notworthy: to you again @Honeythorn! Great respect to you for your patience and care for this lovely raptor ... :D

Please keep us updated, eh? :wink:

p.s. what have you called her?
“Pension. Pay given to a state hireling for treason to his country.�
Samuel Johnson, A Dictionary of the English Language (1755)
msm67
Amphetamine Filth

:notworthy: :notworthy: happy you went back and were able to find her again! I hate to hear of any critter in trouble. hats off to you, honeythorn! :notworthy: :notworthy:
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Definitely looks like a kestrel, brilliant work thorn. Let us know how you get on today!

:D
Honeythorn
Amphetamine Filth

Dodges Unlimited Inc. wrote:
Honeythorn wrote:
:eek: and :notworthy: to you again @Honeythorn! Great respect to you for your patience and care for this lovely raptor ... :D

Please keep us updated, eh? :wink:

p.s. what have you called her?
I didn't name her. It didn't occur to me. But when I was talking to her quietly I just called her gorgeous. Because she is ! :notworthy: