cancer for my educacion?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080807/od_ ... ing_odd_dc

i refrain from commenting, cause i'm polishing my image as a nice guy.

(Other than that i thought lurning was supposed to be a good thang.)
we've got beer and we've got fuel
mh
Above the Chemist

Indeed! :D
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

poalish away!
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
James Blast
Banned

that's not how you spell 'education', how's that for a start?
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
mh
Above the Chemist

Everybody knows it's spelled "ejumacashun". Even those who aren't very ejumacated know that.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
James Blast
Banned

Show aff!
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

What you say.

First academic using these rules deserves a right good kicking IMO.

Ever thought about the fact that all these 'alternative spellings' are only understandable by English people that can't write their own language properly?

Johnny Foreigner will only have even more difficulties understanding all this crap.

Please don't. Weegie is bad enough :D

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
James Blast
Banned

Watch it my Belgian musician friend who has his first album out!

Feck! took me ages to type that in non Weedge :lol:

oops, nearly forgot ;D
~ Peter Steele
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Shudunt thatt bee "kannser fur mye eddyookayshunn"?

Wotch vu boddees hit vu fyles
wayting fur anuvvuh waugh an
wayting fur mye valenntyne
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
mh
Above the Chemist

Pffffft to the original topic anyway. It's a living language for crying out loud, this kinda thing is normal. Oþerrwyse we wouldeth stillan be spyllynge lyke þis. ;D
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

At least that would've been nearer to Dutch, so that'd be a good thing ;D
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
boudicca
Sister Midnight

mh wrote:Pffffft to the original topic anyway. It's a living language for crying out loud, this kinda thing is normal. Oþerrwyse we wouldeth stillan be spyllynge lyke þis. ;D
Bloody Paddies! :twisted:
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
EvilBastard
Overbomber

It's a living language, but the major problem is that there are very few rules that govern English. For example, plurals - to make something plural, add an "s" on the end. Unless you're talking about a baby, a lady, or a doggy. Ok, so unless the word ends in "y", in which case you change the "y" to an "i" and add "es". Unless you've got more than one wife, life, or knife, when you change the "fe" to "ves".
Or if you're dealing with more than one goose, in which case the whole damn' word changes and the plural doesn't follow any of the aforementioned "rules". Or if you're a welsh leisure centre manager and have multiple sheep. It's all very confusing.

At least other languages have hard and fast rules, depending on the gender of the word, the case and the tense. But given that the majority of the emos, twockers, hoodies and chavs leaving school these days couldn't decline a word if their lives depended on it, we're stuck with bad spelling and widespread abuse of apostrophes.

If you think it's bad in Blightly, I'm afraid it's worse in The Colonies - here subway trains will arrive "momentarily" and if I hear one more person using "a propos" as a synonym for "appropriate" there will be rivers of blood.
Hank Moody
Pat
Slight Overbomber

And when did a clique become a click.
James Blast
Banned

when the crack became the craic
~ Peter Steele
nodubmanshouts
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

It's a living language, but the major problem is...
The major problem is that written English is used to transcribe which no longer exists. The Great Vowel shift completely changed the pronunciation of the language, making the written version ridiculously different from that which is spoken today. To be honest, it probably didn't make that much sense before the shift anyway, though.

Nothing irks me more than seeing children waste their education learning to spell. Its a complete waste of time and effort. And as for spelling bees... grrrr.

The written English language needs to change. Hell, if China can switch from Traditional to Simplified, so can we (isn't Chinese the most widely spoken language in the world?). I find it very, very hard to find a reason not to change the language, apart from nostalgia (which isn't a good reason in my book).

And while we're at, lets make the new language easier to type on a cell phone.

Our grand-children will back and laugh at this language, the same way we cannot comprehend punds-shillings-pence.

And why the F*** are we still using miles?????

Tradition is the handicap of human development.
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

It has all to do with rules, that's what it is.

Make the language simpler, ok, hey, no prob for this foreign kid!

But again, simplify it in a set of simple rules, don't let all as sees fit start making up their own rules, because then it becomes very difficult to follow!

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
EvilBastard
Overbomber

nodubmanshouts wrote:Nothing irks me more than seeing children waste their education learning to spell. Its a complete waste of time and effort.
Fair enough - change the written language. But until the written language is changed I'll continue to return resumes littered with poor spelling and shocking grammar to the applicants with a post-it note attached saying "If you can't be bothered to use the spellcheck on your WP package then you're probably not cut out for a job here."
nodubmanshouts wrote:And as for spelling bees... grrrr.
Believe me, if they'd take the wages that we're offering I'd sooner hire bees than some of the botched genetic experiments that walk through the door. :lol:
Hank Moody
taliabee
Road Kill

there is a rule re plurals of nouns ending in y. if the letter before it is a consonant, then it's -ies, if it's a vowel, then its just -s. only word i've found exception to this is money/monies - otherwise it really works!
*i'll get my (pedant's) coat!* :)
t xx
James Blast
Banned

even with ponies?

I mean pony's :lol:

<---- see, the drunk ramblings and ravings have begun :twisted:
~ Peter Steele
taliabee
Road Kill

James Blast wrote:even with ponies?

I mean pony's :lol:

<---- see the drunk ramblings and ravings have begun :twisted:
pony's what!? :)
don't get me on apostrophes! good catholic education and you'll never overcome sister aquinas and her ruler of doom!
:roll:
t xx
mh
Above the Chemist

boudicca wrote:
mh wrote:Pffffft to the original topic anyway. It's a living language for crying out loud, this kinda thing is normal. Oþerrwyse we wouldeth stillan be spyllynge lyke þis. ;D
Bloody Paddies! :twisted:
Wimmin! :P
nodubmanshouts
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

But again, simplify it in a set of simple rules, don't let all as sees fit start making up their own rules, because then it becomes very difficult to follow!
Yup!
"If you can't be bothered to use the spellcheck on your WP package then you're probably not cut out for a job here."
Agree with that too. A job application is not the appropriate place to change the system OR be lazy.

and let's ditch upper-case too. its pointless and requires shift keys....
James Blast
Banned

taliabee wrote:good catholic education
don't complain then

<---- also a Tim ;D

but I practice and practice makes perfect, perfect... what... I dunno yet
~ Peter Steele
taliabee
Road Kill

James Blast wrote:
taliabee wrote:good catholic education
don't complain then

absolutely. never complain and, of course, carry the guilt of the world on my shoulders! :?
t xx