Uhm ... Russia vs Georgia ??

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
spot778
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

End of line.
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Worrying :|
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Purple Light
Slight Overbomber

Christ, here we go. :(
“I got lost in the mirror, wondering what could have been, I couldn’t help but kill her, but I couldn’t kill the dream.”
James Blast
Banned

is it about a football game?
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Purple Light
Slight Overbomber

James Blast wrote:is it about a football game?
If it was I think Russia would be about 8-0 up at half time. :wink:
“I got lost in the mirror, wondering what could have been, I couldn’t help but kill her, but I couldn’t kill the dream.”
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Russia likes that kind of situations, besides president and prime minister are former KGB agents - they like that kind of fun. imperial Russia is coming to "rain down" ?
James Blast
Banned

Is it (a) war, then?
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
spot778
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Officially yep.

Georgia said if Russia attacks it's an act of war. Even though they (Georgia) instigated it.
End of line.
Francis
Overbomber

Do they have oil?
And you know that she's half crazy but that's why you want to be there.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

nae,at least not so many to fight for that
Pista
Cureboi

Francis wrote:Do they have oil?
Cooking oil maybe??
There is a global food shortage I suppose
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

ohshitohshitohshitohshitohshitohshit
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Pista wrote:
Cooking oil maybe??
it's simple Russia wants to rebuild empire
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

spot778 wrote:Even though they (Georgia) instigated it.
:?:

It looks from what I can gather that Russia has simply invaded South Ossetia (a province of Georgia with a large Russian population.) Russian neo-imperialism pure and simple.

At the moment I'm more worried about what response is going to come from the Bush administration.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

markfiend wrote:
spot778 wrote:Even though they (Georgia) instigated it.
:?:

It looks from what I can gather that Russia has simply invaded South Ossetia (a province of Georgia with a large Russian population.) Russian neo-imperialism pure and simple.

At the moment I'm more worried about what response is going to come from the Bush administration.
Or you could see it like Georgia is doing exactly what Russia has been doing in Chechnya the last decade.
The US will keep out of this, of course. Officially.

Most worrying is that this is not some guerilla or terrorist fight, but a real war with artillery and jet fighters on both sides => huge civilian losses
Big Si
School Bully

markfiend wrote:At the moment I'm more worried about what response is going to come from the Bush administration.
Feck all :|
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

euphoria wrote:Or you could see it like Georgia is doing exactly what Russia has been doing in Chechnya the last decade.
OK, I did not know that. That puts a different spin on things.
euphoria wrote:Most worrying is that this is not some guerilla or terrorist fight, but a real war with artillery and jet fighters on both sides => huge civilian losses
Totally.
—Bertrand Russell
DeWinter
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Russia has accepted it's reduction to regional power with a resentment that makes Britains appear the height of dignity and grace.
Bullying some tiny state won't remake the glory days for Russia any more than turning off the Poles gas supply whenever they get stroppy. Too many of it's former satellites are now in the EU and under the nuclear umbrella of the UK and France.
If it wasn't for the fact that people are dying, I'd call it pathetic sabre-rattling from an aging, effete, dying nation.

Never mind the US, let the EU show a set for a change, and condemn Russia unreservedly.
eotunun
Overbomber

Bartek wrote:
Pista wrote:
Cooking oil maybe??
it's simple Russia wants to rebuild empire
That's probably the point. Handing out passports of your own country to folks living in the one neighbouring yours so that you can say "Our people are under attack" is pretty lame.
Worrying that whole developement is.
And yes, there are pipelines in the game.
When the USSR raided Afghanistan, there were no resources in the game. That was just a big one beating on a small one.
Here the big one beats up a small one that has a big pal.
Could it be that Tsar Putin, now that he isn't the one to take the blame anymore, uses Medwedjew as his sock puppet to take the blame later and get something done he had on his list for longer, but didn't execute for fear of damage to his immage?
"These are my principles! And if you don't like the just says so, I have others, too!"
~Rufus T. Firefly
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

i've no idea what Russia is doing but i bet the devil my head that it's less sinister than what the USA has been doing for centuries.

i wouldn't trust media to give a realistic idea of what's happening in Russia, either, when they can make it look bad for Putin who has stood up succesfully against the repugnant evil forces of globalism.
we've got beer and we've got fuel
eotunun
Overbomber

I fail to see the benefits media would have from one-eyedly bashing on a righteous Mr. Putin. We Europeans by now are tightly entangled to Russia, so mainly it has become an economical partner to us ourselves rather than the big fist of the Warsaw Treaty devil, realm of evil, that eats children and shaggs teddy bears.
I've no doubt our media do tend to say what they're told, but who'd dammage the immage of a head of Gasprom, the good deliverer of so much cheap gas to keep our european homes warm during cold winter nights?
Gasprom makes tax money for the European countries after all.
"These are my principles! And if you don't like the just says so, I have others, too!"
~Rufus T. Firefly
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Sending more troups and attacking targets outside Ossetia as well.
Over 1600 deaths, most of them civilians.....
Worrying.....very.... :|
"as we walk on the floodland"
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Russian imperialism isn't as bad as USA Imperialism, eh?

The US has historically been isolationist in its foreign policy, only changing this stance during and since World War One. Never mind the fact that the USA has only existed for 232 years.

So I don't know that the USA could truthfully be said to have been doing anything "for centuries"
—Bertrand Russell
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

UE won't do nothing except do not do that, war is wrong, us&a gonna do something like that, it will be like in, mentioned, Chechnya, you'll see :|
eotunun
Overbomber

Bartek wrote:UE won't do nothing except do not do that, war is wrong, us&a gonna do something like that, it will be like in, mentioned, Chechnya, you'll see :|
Who should do anything about it?
Russia has everything it needs to live. Embargos are pointless.
Military intervention? P*ss an already rampaging rabid egomanic on the leg?
This egomanic has very fierce weapons in his hands, and they once were programmed to hit your homes as well!
Why are they aggressive? Because they know they can. This goes for all countries that went into war. Hitler, too, thought he could take Polland without Britain taking the risc of standing by that inferior opponent.
Sadly, there still is a chance that the Russian claims there'd been ethnical cleansings on Ossetia are true. We can´t know for sure at this point of time. We, the people, hardly ever will know for sure.
I really wouldn't know what to do at this point of time with the knowledge we have at the moment except for appealing both sides to call back the troops and tell them they both have been bad, bad boys&girls.
I think that's called a misery, right?
~Rufus T. Firefly