Sisters live in Burgas, Bulgaria, Fri 15 August ?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
eotunun
Overbomber

Eva wrote:
_emma_ wrote:
Eva wrote:The problem: Huge bass speakers on the sand just in front of the stage, facing a barrier which wasn't the usual "fence-like" thing, but solid metal. J.J. either is totally deaf or has done the soundcheck with headphones, cause otherwise he would have heard that there was a bass overkill, as the metal barrier happily vibrated along Dr Avalanche's drumming.
Oh yes it did, and I could happily feel it on my nipples, which only added to the atmosphere. ;D
:lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy:
Too much information, I'm afraid... :wink:
Were there any people sitting on the fence? :innocent:
"These are my principles! And if you don't like the just says so, I have others, too!"
~Rufus T. Firefly
Christian
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Thanks for translating the bulgarian text.

Regarding the bass vibrations: I recently saw a toy which can be connected to an ipod.
:innocent:
Didn't imagine that other people try things like that in festival dimensions.
:wink:
Eva
Intercontinental Assassin

:roll: Emma, what have you done... :urff: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You can't fix stupid.
Little_Sister
Amphetamine Filth

a first video appeared on youtube :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytnKpjhGONU
made in the 80s
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Thanks for all the contributions. Nice read on an early Monday morning... ;D
"as we walk on the floodland"
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

Damn great to see Sisters getting a good review! (PS: i generally like eastern European/Russian people, so i'm not surprised...they, and their cultures, have something the west has lost long time ago)
Eva wrote:It is unlistenable, to be honest. I'm waiting for the second source, maybe he was more lucky: recorder at the back of the crowd, lying in the sand... But hey, even if they both are crap, they still exist. For the completists... :wink: :lol:
i wasn't really that worried, a bad recording, or two, is better than no recording, but this is still very encouraging... :lol:
we've got beer and we've got fuel
Eggi1

here the setlist:

doctor jeep/detonation boulevard
crash and burn
ribbons
still
giving ground
first and last an always
flood I
dominion / mother russia
summer
alice
anaconda
vision thing
will i dream
flood II
this corrosion
lucretia my reflection
snub nose
temple of love
266 GIGS
34 COUNTRIES
over 200.000 MILES

and i want more ...

Baltimore
Philadelphia
New York City
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

Short...but a weird order of songs! Great :lol: (i mean it)
we've got beer and we've got fuel
doctoravalanche
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Looks like we were really lucky to get Good things in Tienen !
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

now we have to wait another 27 years to listen "good thing" live
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

doctoravalanche wrote:Looks like we were really lucky to get Good things in Tienen !
:notworthy: :notworthy:
Indeed we were lucky....again thank you TSOM! And we even got Capricorn too! 8)

@ Bartek - no no no!!! 27 years is far too long a time to wait thanks.
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

MadameButterfly wrote:
@ Bartek - no no no!!! 27 years is far too long a time to wait thanks.
:von:
Eggi1

some screenshots from the "tuborg cam"
ImageImageImageImageImage
266 GIGS
34 COUNTRIES
over 200.000 MILES

and i want more ...

Baltimore
Philadelphia
New York City
Little_Sister
Amphetamine Filth

whaaaaaaaa I think I've seen a pirate in the fog and now I'm scared :lol:
Ghostrider

about :von: being in a good mood.. care to give some examples?
i don't sleep, so i don't dream, so i don't wake up frightened...
everything is what it seems, if you look hard enough tonight and see...
Stranger
Road Kill

ok, to give python a rest, here's a very quick translation of the interview with :von: :
If you are a fan of The Sisters of Mercy you won’t need a explanation who they are and what the band is all about. If you are not, but are still curious to know you can read more about them here.
Having read this you can come back here and read the interview with the man who epitomizes the band – Andrew Eldritch.

Andrew is notorious for not liking to give any interviews. Not at all.
Knowing that, we couldn’t hope that he would answer our questions personally. What made him do so? We do not know. But surely we are very proud he turned his attention to us.

And if we’re lucky we may have a home made rakia or two with him in Bourgas on 15 August when the band will rock the Bourgas beach as part of the Spirit of Burgas festival line up. Here is what Andrew said:

On the official Sisters of Mercy website you have a FAQ section where you have answered most of the questions you consider annoying. So probably there is no point in asking “what’s Andrew’s favourite colour�?

No point at all. At least for the fact the answer is in the FAQ (British Racing Green – the typical colour of British racing cars). Maybe you could ask me what used to be my favourite colour but, looking at you, you’d hardly be interested.

Now seriously. What happened to the band in the period 2005-2008? It seems like you’ve had no live shows at all in this period and you’ve only had two gigs so far this year, not counting the forthcoming one in Bulgaria…

This is not quite true. We had six gigs in 2005. In 2006 they were over 100 and we had another three or four last year. What was going on in the meantime? Well, we worked our arses off!

The Sisters of Mercy are notorious for frequent changes of members. Could you give away who the current members are?

I will give away exclusively for you:

Andrew Eldritch - vocals, Ben Christo – guitar and vocals, Chris Catalyst – guitars and vocals, Doktor Avalanche - drums и Simone Denbigh – nurse to the Doctor. (Doktor Avalanche is actually not a living person but a drum machine and is one of the few constant members of the band)

In the last few years several record companies released compilations under the name of The Sisters of Mercy. Isn’t it time we heard some new songs?

Anytime is a good time to hear a new band. Oh, you meant new Sisters stuff? Hmm…we’ll see…

You’ve never been to Bulgaria before. Would you believe if I told you that your gig in Bourgas will make an infeasible dream come true for many, many people?

Oh, that sounds great!

Do you have the setlist for 15 August ready?

No, not yet.

Here in Bulgaria bars are open almost nonstop – something like a national trait. Can we count on this as a good reason for you to come back sometime in the future?

If this is so it is very likely that we come again. But everything depends on whether we’ll be invited.

And because I know you love strong drinks I have to recommend you to try our rakia when you come to Bourgas. If no one invites you, give us a shout!

By all means!
Btw, no time for a proper review - Monday is a bloody Monday as usual. But the gig was fantastic! Even the poor sound could not spoil the experience. Still can't believe I was there and it happened :notworthy:
Last edited by Stranger on 18 Aug 2008, 14:44, edited 1 time in total.
He was a stranger in my land
A wandering man, I called him Sand..
Eva
Intercontinental Assassin

@Stranger: Thanks a lot for the translation! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Ghostrider wrote:about :von: being in a good mood.. care to give some examples?
As far as I can remember it was mainly to be noticed in his gestures, how he played with the audience, coming up to the edge of the stage, center, right (Chris place), and left of Ben, too. And he stayed in these places for a long time. At some point he danced even! Ok, with his back to us, but it was still a pleasure to watch him. He also wore the broadest smile I've seen in years, and he was more talkative than usual. The funniest bit for me was unintentional though: The audience did sing along to many songs, then Von introduced This Corrosion by saying "You can sing along to this one if you want" and the crowd went into total silence... :lol:

Probably the whole band was "bought" by the audience chanting "Hey-ho, lets go!" in the beginning.... :wink:
You can't fix stupid.
dinky daisy
Slight Overbomber

Eggi1 wrote:some screenshots from the "tuborg cam"
ImageImageImageImageImage
I prefer these glasses. Makes him cooler than the stupid sporty ones.
guns & cars & accidents
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Lovely and funny reading. Thanks for the translation Stranger!

Hardly any live shows between 2005 and 2008?! :lol:
Someone has not done his homework here.
"as we walk on the floodland"
_emma_
Overbomber

Ozpat wrote:Hardly any live shows between 2005 and 2008?! :lol:
Someone has not done his homework here.
Not really. Someone might have done their homework referring to the most reliable source wchich is:
http://www.the-sisters-of-mercy.com/gen ... htm#bottom
:roll:
Patti82
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

dtsom
Slight Overbomber

thanks fro the youtube links :notworthy:

i´ve looked the videos a moment ago and :von: vocals were great

and in this videos look like a good sound. obviously i can rate a gig sound for a youtube video

it was a great gig, given the circustances whit the sound.

waiting for the next one..
2023: Los Ángeles,Las Vegas, Londonx2, Valencia Madrid, Lisbon, Porto, Bilbao
2024: Gent- Eindhoven - Lokeren - Madrid
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

There's a definite smile for the camera in photo 2 :lol:
To not know and to ask a question is a moment of embarrassment; to not know and not ask is a lifetime of shame.
dinky daisy
Slight Overbomber

will i dream seems part of the setlist? Great vocals, again.
guns & cars & accidents
_emma_
Overbomber

Eva wrote:
As far as I can remember it was mainly to be noticed in his gestures, how he played with the audience
... and I'd add: he just was present there. Sometimes you can see that he is there on stage, but it's apparent that some vital parts of him (like heart, soul, mind, thoughts, feelings, etc...) are elsewhere. Sometimes he's totally onehundredpercently present, but these occasions are very rare. I'm not saying that Burgas was one of these rare occasions, but it was definitely very close to it. 8)

Edit:
Thanks for the translation, Stranger. :notworthy:
About the interview: it starts OK, looks as if though the interviewer knew what s/he was dealing with. But then, the next questions. :urff: Jesus. Having an opportunity to ask Andrew Eldritch some questions should not be wasted like that, right? Especially these days, that he's so reluctant to interviews.
Last edited by _emma_ on 18 Aug 2008, 21:29, edited 1 time in total.