MADRID PLANE CRASH

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Silver_Owl
The Don

Click
This is why I hate flying.
Jesus. :evil: :(
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Hexe Luciferia
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Hom_Corleone wrote:Click
This is why I hate flying.
Jesus. :evil: :(
Aye. Same here. Even if I've been jumping on and off planes for a long time, I hate it with all my heart - and the very grotesque bit is that my father worked for the military air force as a technician and was in charge of testing the planes and my mother used to fly those small ones which seem made out of paper... :| :|
Jesus, really... :( :(
I'll shove that bat up your a** and turn you into a popsicle
eotunun
Overbomber

Yupp, terribly sad thing. What I find odd is that the pilots seem to have noticed pretty late that one of the engine was sour. At take off, at a precalculated point and speed V1 is reached, marking the point of no return where the plane has to be taken off the ground in any circumstance, as the remaining runway will not suffice for a go around.
Was the plane past V1 when they noticed the engine fire and they forced teh plane off the ground, thus forcing the plane into a stall or did they simply throw in all available breaking devices to stop?
From what I saw on the telly there were taxiways extending beyond the runway, which should have given nicely much of space for that?
The degree of destruction done to the plane seems to go for version one, the stall. I´d understand that as a death by manuals then, for the safer option (simply putting on breaks) would have been sacrificed for playing by the rules then.
:|
@ Luciferia: What? You´re an aviation kid? ;D
"These are my principles! And if you don't like the just says so, I have others, too!"
~Rufus T. Firefly
Hexe Luciferia

eotunun wrote:@ Luciferia: What? You´re an aviation kid? ;D
Yes sir, indeed I am...
aims
Overbomber

And there I was about to set off for Joseph's Well...:innocent:

In all seriousness, I'm glad I'm taking the ferry back to England :|
eotunun
Overbomber

Hexe Luciferia wrote:
eotunun wrote:@ Luciferia: What? You´re an aviation kid? ;D
Yes sir, indeed I am...
Thus we have a non-flying flying circus ;D
"These are my principles! And if you don't like the just says so, I have others, too!"
~Rufus T. Firefly
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

Burning alive sucks but I don't hate flying like I don't hate driving my car.
dtsom
Slight Overbomber

it has been terrible!!

i´ve been watching the tv the whole evenig and the news are getting worst by moment. here are in all the chanels

175 passengers only 27 survivers....

i don´t have words
2023: Los Ángeles,Las Vegas, Londonx2, Valencia Madrid, Lisbon, Porto, Bilbao
2024: Gent- Eindhoven - Lokeren - Madrid
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

DocSommer wrote:Burning alive sucks but I don't hate flying like I don't hate driving my car.
Lots more chance to die in a car crash than a plane crash too.

Not a pleasant thing this crash, has been a while since we've had a major one like this in Europe, no? I seem to remember in the nineties Airbusses were dropping out of the skies like flies :urff:

Don't have much of a problem with flying myself, actually rather like the sights, it's the noise that annoys me...
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Statistically, in terms of deaths per passenger-mile, air travel is by far the safest.

Statistics doesn't help the dead, injured or bereaved though. My thoughts go out to them.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Of course, I forgot to add that :)
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Hexe Luciferia

Obviousman wrote:
DocSommer wrote:Burning alive sucks but I don't hate flying like I don't hate driving my car.
Lots more chance to die in a car crash than a plane crash too.
Yep, absolutely.
And I do like driving my car.
Flying freaks me out for a various number of reasons, though.
My thoughts go out to those who have lost their dear ones on the crash, to the dead and the injured.
I was watching the news beforhand and really, as dtsom put it there are no words.
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Hexe Luciferia wrote:My thoughts go out to those who have lost their dear ones on the crash, to the dead and the injured.
Suppose it's all got to do with who's in charge of the machine. Control.
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Purple Light
Slight Overbomber

Devastating news.

Its apparently the 2nd safest way to travel after the hovercraft (or so I've read) but the problem is, when they do go down, its devastation & fatalities all over the place.

Not too keen on flying myself for that reason.
“I got lost in the mirror, wondering what could have been, I couldn’t help but kill her, but I couldn’t kill the dream.”
Hexe Luciferia

Obviousman wrote:
Hexe Luciferia wrote:My thoughts go out to those who have lost their dear ones on the crash, to the dead and the injured.
Suppose it's all got to do with who's in charge of the machine. Control.
Absolutely. Added to a very light claustrophobia and the fact that I'm thousands feet up in the air...but mostly is a control thing.
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

people die in their hundreds everyday people! and not just because of a plane crashing...

...my thoughts...I hate flying too...13 -14 hours on a plane getting home is no fun with all stops and waiting in-between if in stop overs...

A plane is a machine that is made and sometimes can be made with faults... a pilot is a man who we hope is sobre on board but also just a man that can make a mistake....

Like all things in life machine type thingys can break or just not work and then it's just up to the human factor to either save us or we crash and burn. It's sad ... like all things in life...

It's sad about people burning to death ...come to think about it most death forms unless in your sleep are quite hairy in thought but it's just life ain't it that gets media attention because it's horrid.

Get over it as horrid things happen in life and a plane accident is one of those things....
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
eotunun
Overbomber

What I just read on spiegel.de suggests that the actual crash happened as a ground loop: One wing got caught on the ground and made the whole plane spin, then flip over. If that was the case, most victims won't have survived more than ten seconds after the bang.
The MD 82 is a bit too old for having a fly by wire that might have been overloaded with handling the situation of an engine loss.
There was a DC 10 that crashed due to a catastrophic engine failure severing hydraulic lines that were not secured against loss of pressure. If such thiung happened during take off, the result would look similarly.
~Rufus T. Firefly
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

I am a bit scared to fly but it disapperears after entering the plane.
I have had around 45 flights and the feeling never changes....adrenaline.

As said before; driving a car is contains more risk but it is the idea that you have absolutely no control and there is a very big chance of not surviving. Death comes quickly but is very awful most of the times. Plunging can take many minutes and I am not even talking about flying upside down. Fire in an airplane comes towards you....You can see it coming.

The DC 10, Jürgen, has a history of accidents. Hydraulics where a main problem indeed (Sioux City and as I recall a crash in France with a Turkish airliner). All problems solved on old DC 10's and the younger brother MD 11.
The MD 82 is a fine plane....Accidents do happen but investigations afterwards make future flying safer but accidents will always happen.

RIP victims of this terrible accident.
"as we walk on the floodland"
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

I'd rather take the boat than flying. Takes longer, ok, but when on holidays, the holiday starts on board.

And a boat is much more pleasant than being crammed in a plane three aside, eating a soggy sandwich. The bad kind ;)

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

I've noticed a sudden lack of Spanair flights into Leeds-Bradford over the past 24 hours :(
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:I'd rather take the boat than flying. Takes longer, ok, but when on holidays, the holiday starts on board.

And a boat is much more pleasant than being crammed in a plane three aside, eating a soggy sandwich. The bad kind ;)

IZ.
Bit of a problem when going Down Under while having a 5 weeks' holiday. :lol:
"as we walk on the floodland"
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Oh bloody hell, it's not aviation's week..
Hexe Luciferia

Dark wrote:Oh bloody hell, it's not aviation's week..
Apparently not... :|
Debaser
Overbomber

This happened a couple of days before we were due to fly back from Rome. I'm not the world's greatest of fliers and it scared the bejezuz out of me because these things do tend to happen in 3's.

It's take off and landing that sees me quiver like a wreck. Once we're up and cruising then I'm ok because basically if anything were to happen up there then it's just death. Take off and landing, as was the case with Madrid, there's just a slim chance you might get off and be horribly mangled. The Air Stwewardess had to ask Gaz if I was ok this time as I'd gone a funny colour and my knuckles had gone white.

Also finding out recently why they advise brace position was not my favourite insight either.... :urff:
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
robertzombie
Overbomber

Debaser wrote:Also finding out recently why they advise brace position was not my favourite insight either.... :urff:
Dare I ask why? :|