Gary Glitter To Be Released from Prison!

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
boudicca
Sister Midnight

canon docre wrote:I certainly do. :D Sadly, science found out recently, that paedophilia is incurable. :|
Highly debatable. I am always extremely skeptical of claims that a mental condition is "incurable". How exactly did science come to this (quite monumental) conclusion? As far as I'm aware (and I do try to keep abreast of the latest advances in psychology and all related fields), it hasn't.

Granted, for the time being and the forseeable future, I think it is very unlikely that paedophilia can be reversed ("cured" is a misleading term, denoting a physical illness here, I think), but in theory I think it could be possible. There has been a lot of promising work done with young offenders, in their late teens and so on, who are starting to behave inappropriately towards young children, that their cognitive and behavioural habits can be restructured, to some extent at least.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Andrew S
Slight Overbomber

boudicca wrote:I don't mean have their crimes belittled and give them a pat on the head, I mean that we should try to get to the root of their psychological disturbance and resulting abberant behaviour. Don't you ever wonder why, what the hell has gone awry in the mind of a person like that? I certainly do.
Yes I do, although the explanations offered usually sound oversimplistic and difficult to accept. Personally, for sadistic or sexual crimes, "I just felt like it" makes perfect sense to me, although it doesn't explain the premeditation or why somebody gets off on such stuff in the first place. I dunno!
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

markfiend wrote:Can we spell witch-hunt boys and girls?
witch-hunt~ you boys go catch him and gag him....

...I'll set fire to warm the weapons to cut off his man-parts that we can burn in the fire to the gods of hope "this proves a point that this is an evil man" chant can begin....

...I don't mind chopping off his googlies in a slow manner that would lead to death...

...even on stage if that tickles your fancy! :D

:von:

skullfuckhim! :twisted:
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Andrew S wrote:
boudicca wrote:But to express disgust for a convicted child abuser - convicted by genuine evidence and not merely hysteria and falsehood - is in my view a seperate thing entirely.

I wouldn't advocate we make a monster of this man - he is a man, he is human... but what he has done is still beyond despicable.
What he has done certainly disgusts me, however I feel no desire to form a lynch mob and I don't get any satisfaction from the thought of reprisals like some people seem to. Maybe it's no more than an expression of disgust, but for me, these angry gut reactions make uncomfortable reading.

Off with the goolies etc. etc. etc.
My thoughts exactly. Maybe 'witch-hunt' was the wrong word, fair enough. But IMO vigilante justice is a cure worse than the disease.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
eotunun
Overbomber

Nothing strikes the irony of life.
I admit, that one gave me a good laugh.
"These are my principles! And if you don't like the just says so, I have others, too!"
~Rufus T. Firefly
Silver_Owl
The Don

canon docre wrote:
I certainly do too. :D Sadly, science found out recently, that paedophilia is incurable. :|

P.S. I saw him live once. His support was Girlschool. What a bad joke.
:lol: Oh the irony. :lol:

But in all seriousness...isn't it like seeing a pretty girl in the street and wanting to shag her? It doesn't mean I'm going to.
They know it's wrong so surely there must be an element of self control involved? Presumably there a thousands of people who find underage girls/boys attractive? They just don't act upon it.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Well if you google 'barely legal teen' I'm sure you'd get more than just one or two hits. Having said that there's a difference between ephebophilia (attraction to people who are just about postpubescent) and outright paedophilia (attraction to prepubescent children).

The thing with sexual morality is that there are all sorts of practices that are unexamined cultural constructs. I'm sure the ancient Greeks would have a far different view of things than we do (although GGlitter would probably disgust them too as his preference seems to be little girls, not boys.)

Virtually any sexual practice has been utterly forbidden in some cultures while being compulsory in others.

Of course having said that, the unequal power structure in a sexual relationship between an adult and a child is a recipe for disaster. Then again, historically, given our patriarchal societal structure, you could fairly recently have said the same thing about a sexual relationship between a man and a woman.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
boudicca
Sister Midnight

You hit upon something very important there, Hom... I think we make a mistake in lumping all sexual offenders (against minors) together.

Firstly, there is the paraphilia of paedophilia, which simply means that a person does (for reasons we could speculate on all day, ranging from Pavlovian ideas of fetishes to having been abused themselves - I suspect it can be any number of things) have sexual urges involving children. They may not act on it, they may be ashamed. Or they may act on it and feel intense guilt as a result.

Secondly, there is the factor of either sadistic or narcissistic personality disorders, which not all paedophiles meet the criteria for, but some do. I think this could be of particular importance in cases of incest. Of a study that was done recently on people who had committed incest on their own children, only about 1/4 were actually more aroused by images of children than by images of adults. This could suggest that there is something else at work, something else they "enjoy" other than simply children. They may enjoy inflicting suffering, they may take pleasure in the fact that they are engaging in a sexual act with, essentially, a part of themselves. A kind of De Sade-esque joy in stepping outside the all moral boundaries of humanity.

Then there are the sad men who go for girls who are 14 or 15, post-pubescent, just not yet "legal". The attraction here is their innocence and lack of experience, and the majority of them are probably hopelessly inadequate bastards and, in the back of their mind, they know it.

My rather rambling point is just that it's a very complex area, and one which needs a whole lot more investigation. I have a cheek to say that though as I'd hate to be the one doing the investigating - the whole thing just makes my blood run cold :urff:
Last edited by boudicca on 20 Aug 2008, 22:03, edited 2 times in total.
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

No...Marilyn Manson is sad really...when a band needs a deaf girl packed with beef to get banged by the whole band that is sad!

Paedophilia ~ indeed a sickness that is a very sad one. I believe however that these people who can't get over this illness to be jetted into outer space please....how on earth can children be safe with that lot walking around in crowds?
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Yes, at the risk of sounding more softly-softly than I feel - I tend to think that people should be locked up until they are no longer any risk to children... which in the majority of cases would probably mean forever. And in cases of incest and abuse of very young children, even if they had a road to Damascus moment and became saints, I would still want to see them punished (and so would they if they'd really changed).
canon docre
Overbomber

boudicca wrote:
canon docre wrote:I certainly do. :D Sadly, science found out recently, that paedophilia is incurable. :|
Highly debatable. I am always extremely skeptical of claims that a mental condition is "incurable". How exactly did science come to this (quite monumental) conclusion? As far as I'm aware (and I do try to keep abreast of the latest advances in psychology and all related fields), it hasn't.

Granted, for the time being and the forseeable future, I think it is very unlikely that paedophilia can be reversed ("cured" is a misleading term, denoting a physical illness here, I think), but in theory I think it could be possible. There has been a lot of promising work done with young offenders, in their late teens and so on, who are starting to behave inappropriately towards young children, that their cognitive and behavioural habits can be restructured, to some extent at least.
I excuse myself for my vastly generalising comment. Of course, "paedophilia" is not a disease and therefore the term "curable" or "incurable" is inappropriate.
And even the term "science" was a rather thrown in vage summary of what we know as psychology or psychiatry.

I just didnt have the time for a lengthy psychological treatise on the subject.
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
boudicca
Sister Midnight

canon docre wrote:I excuse myself for my vastly generalising comment. Of course, "paedophilia" is not a disease and therefore the term "curable" or "incurable" is inappropriate.
And even the term "science" was a rather thrown in vage summary of what we know as psychology or psychiatry.

Touche :wink: Fair enough Jess.
canon docre
Overbomber

boudicca wrote:
canon docre wrote:I excuse myself for my vastly generalising comment. Of course, "paedophilia" is not a disease and therefore the term "curable" or "incurable" is inappropriate.

Touche :wink: Fair enough Jess.
btw, I just love it when people on HL show their expertise by flexing some muscles. I'm just too slow with my psychiatric vocabulary translator. :(
boudicca
Sister Midnight

:| :( Don't know how that was intended... If it was a dig - I'm not claiming to be an expert, psychology is just a field that interests me....
eotunun
Overbomber

boudicca wrote::| :( Don't know how that was intended... If it was a dig - I'm not claiming to be an expert, psychology is just a field that interests me....
I guess that rather was a dig at flexed muscles, not applied brains. :wink:
"These are my principles! And if you don't like the just says so, I have others, too!"
~Rufus T. Firefly
canon docre
Overbomber

boudicca wrote::| :( Don't know how that was intended... If it was a dig - I'm not claiming to be an expert, it's just a field that interests me... so I got a bit rambling and geeky.
no no, it was meant as it stands there. :D Intelligent input from (fill in voc that suits you better than expert, maye "interested people") on various topics is what I really like with HL. It's inspiring and gratifying. Like f.ex many posts of the Meerkat. Thats why I'm still coming back (sometimes).
It just sometimes bothers me to not be part of it, because of the language.
Silver_Owl
The Don

canon docre wrote:
boudicca wrote::| :( Don't know how that was intended... If it was a dig - I'm not claiming to be an expert, it's just a field that interests me... so I got a bit rambling and geeky.
no no, it was meant as it stands there. :D Intelligent input from (fill in voc that suits you better than expert, maye "interested people") on various topics is what I really like with HL. It's inspiring and gratifying. Like f.ex many posts of the Meerkat. Thats why I'm still coming back (sometimes).
Likewise. I likes Heartland for that....and for your info...you're English is better than mine. ;D
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
boudicca
Sister Midnight

canon docre wrote:
Phew! That's a relief... I respect your opinion a great deal Jess, and I certainly didn't want to come off like a know-it-all there, full of half-baked opinions :oops: And my ideas on this particular topic are really pretty half-baked...

You're damn right, there are some peeps on here who you can have a really good "discussion" with... good to know the likes of Mr Meerkat there :notworthy: 8)
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

canon docre wrote:And even the term "science" was a rather thrown in vage summary of what we know as psychology or psychiatry.
pedantic nit-picking point: Psychology is a science (properly called Psychological Science or Behavioural Science). Psychiatry, on the other hand...
canon docre
Overbomber

Hom_Corleone wrote:
canon docre wrote:
Likewise. I likes Heartland for that....and for your info...you're English is better than mine. ;D
...but it takes me fecking hours to compose my posts. :lol: :innocent:

@Boudicca. Now when I read my initial post, it could really sound like a wry kind of dig. But only for english ears. I'm German and therefore much more straightforeward. :P
James Blast
Banned

I didn't see it as a dig at all
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
mh
Above the Chemist

Me neither, it came across as a definite compliment here in fact. :D
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
boudicca
Sister Midnight

What can I say, I'm just paranoid. Look that up in your psycho-dictionary :wink: :lol: Just my own awareness that I am on the fringes of my knowledge on this one really :oops: ...
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

I have 2 boys, feel free to discuss in a very thought provoking manner (you are by the way) but I'd have him shot.
Simple.As.That.
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

weebleswobble wrote:I have 2 boys, feel free to discuss in a very thought provoking manner (you are by the way) but I'd have him shot.
Simple.As.That.
...I think you know where I stand, mucker :notworthy: