Food for thought

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

:notworthy: yay Mark!

Earth is just an amazing planet in the space out there but so are the other planets and stars that are to be seen.

I also believe in quantum theory as I believe in many theory that can be proven or just are theories to work the mind...

Our little planet is but a bit of a byte if you will and as all religions are not my way my mother earth is one I've been vibed to love to death do us part...

Mark get here to help me to see through my telescope please!
ooo...also next week we will be having better weather and then NL gets to see the gases from a volcanic eruption that happened in Alaska last week...it's said that the gases have a red glow that should be seen as dusk soon if our weather clears! :D
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
boudicca
Sister Midnight

You and your chuffin' telescope Debs! :lol:

Does it extend? :innocent: :twisted: :wink:
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

ooo....yes it does and even has lenses and such!

It's really biggish too Claire just need to sort out how to work it babe!

:lol:
that ongoing eternity
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I have telescope envy now.

Check out the Messier catalogue for some groovy deep-sky viewing.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

You are more than welcome to come and play with it Mark! ;D

:notworthy: Thank you dear meerkat for the linky, it's added to my favourites to quick find and will give it another try as soon as the night skies are clear again!
that ongoing eternity
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Purple Light wrote:The film Contact, based on his novel is one of the very few occasions where I think a film does the book justice. (I'm sure I'll get shot down for that one... :lol: )
Not by me, you won't. I actually got a bit teary-eyed at the end. Sap alert! :lol: :|
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

That was deep space, how about this for deep time:

Imagine the lifetime of the Earth condensed down to the lifetime of a 46-year-old man (a scale of one in 100000000):

The Big Bang happens around 90 years before he was born.

By the time he's about 8, there's life. Not very complicated life, for sure, but life.

In fact there's no life other than bacteria for another 20 years. And even then, it's just more complex one-celled life.

By the time he's 36 years old, we have the beginnings of multi-celled life; real unambiguous multi-celled animals appear a few months after his 40th birthday. The "Cambrian Explosion" -- of the first animals we might recognise as being related to modern forms -- happens over the 6 months leading to his 41st birthday.

Over the next year, the first green plants appear on land, closely followed by the first animals on land, the millipedes. In the sea, the first fishes evolve.

Things are starting to speed up now; by the time he's 43, our earth-man has swampy forests where the first amphibians are walking, the earliest sharks have appeared, and insects have taken to the skies.

Over the next six months, reptiles, beetles, flies all appear. But at 43 1/2, a major catastrophe; the end-Permian extinction wipes out 95% of all life. Even so, life goes on, and by the end of the year, dinosaurs rule the earth, icthyosaurs rule the seas, and pterosaurs rule the skies. Mammals first appear.

Our earth-man's 44th birthday marks the beginning of the Jurassic period, 6 and a half months where birds first appear, mammals become more common, but the dinosaurs and their relatives still reign supreme.

Over the next year or so, flowering plants spread across the planet, together with an increase in the numbers of insects. Birds start to replace pterosaurs in the air.

About 4 months after his 45th birthday comes the asteroid impact that brings about the end of the dinosaurs. Over the next two months, mammals evolve into larger forms, replacing the dinosaurs as dominant land animals, bringing us to age 45 1/2

Most modern mammal families, including the first whales, appear over the 3 months after that.

The evolutionary split between chimpanzees and humans happens when our earth-man is 45 years and 11 months old; the first tool use is within the last three weeks or so.

Modern humans appear within the last 16 hours; the end of the last ice-age and the beginnings of agriculture are an hour old. The first known walled city, Jericho, is also about this old.

Metal working is about 40 minutes old, and writing is about half an hour old. The pyramids were completed in the last 20 minutes, and Rome was at the height of its power 10 minutes ago. The industrial revolution happened in the last minute, and a real 46-year lifespan would have lasted a mere 14.5 seconds.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

And he will die in 30 seconds if those assholes dancing on top of him don't come to their senses very soon.

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Oh, I don't know, he survived the Permian extinction, he'll survive humanity's impact.
—Bertrand Russell
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

markfiend wrote:Oh, I don't know, he survived the Permian extinction, he'll survive humanity's impact.
By getting rid of 'em :D

HL'ers will survive of course, start stacking the Duvel and Pakora inna bombshelter ;)

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
eotunun
Overbomber

..and now all the others around him see the life on him jump around and reach out for them and think "Yugh! Fleas!"
"These are my principles! And if you don't like the just says so, I have others, too!"
~Rufus T. Firefly
James Blast
Banned

I'm 4 years older than him, so I win! ;D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele