FISH - A bullying tail.

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Silver_Owl
The Don

Let me tell you a story...

The in-laws bought Jacob (the wee man) 2 goldfish (imaginatively named Splishy & Splashy) about 10 months ago.

There they were in this watery prison cell swimming round and round and I felt a bit sorry for them, so I asked around and a kind chap at work gave me a new tank - a fair bit bigger. I also invested in a filter.

As they looked somewhat lonely I got a sucker fish called Arthur to keep them company and three more goldfish (Edgar, Pearson and Flash). Unfortunately Splishy met his demise :( a few days after the new inmates arrived...

And now some two months later all three new kids are constantly bullying Splashy; chasing him/her round the tank and butting, biting etc.....

I've had a bit of a look on forums in it looks like it could be one of many things..most advise just says take out the bully. Now without leaving old Splashy on his lonesome thats not really feasable.

Splashy is presently hanging out in a vase for his own protection. :cry:
I can't leave him/her there for ever.....

Anybody had any experience of this kinda thing? Any advice?

I await instant derailment. :roll: :lol:

We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Pista
Cureboi

That brought a tear to my eye.

:lol: :lol:

I think Honeythorn has fish. She may know.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
James Blast
Banned

get a cat
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Silver_Owl
The Don

@ Steve - Cheers. :wink:

@ James - The dogs would no doubt help me out if needed...but I love our Splashy. :( ;D
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
mh
Above the Chemist

I don't think a goldfish would really mind, so invest in a smaller tank and keep it near to the big tank. Splashy won't get too lonely and will be safe from bullying.

I know nothing about fish, by the way. ;)
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
eotunun
Overbomber

Honeythorn will settle the matter, I'm sure. Meanwhile, why don't you pour them some good vodka into their tank-Maybe a merry night of drinking and being jolly will blow the trouble away?
BTW: Are we at the middle of the Forum now? :eek:
"These are my principles! And if you don't like the just says so, I have others, too!"
~Rufus T. Firefly
robertzombie
Overbomber

:?:
eotunun
Overbomber

Watch "Monty Python's Meaning of Life" for the explanation.. :wink:
"These are my principles! And if you don't like the just says so, I have others, too!"
~Rufus T. Firefly
Honeythorn
Amphetamine Filth

Righto *puts on fish hat* Annoying question time :

How big is the tank exactly?

You need a 3.5 - 4 foot tank for one pair because they are a large growing species of cyprinid ( carp ) . So at least 40-55 gallons for just two goldfish to be able to swim and grow correctly.

[The avarage size is about 10 inches in fancys like fantails, lionheads ect and up to ( and in many cases over ) 14 inches long in normal bodied goldfish such as comets, shubunkins ect. You know the huge fat ones you see in ponds? THAT is the average size of a goldfish. It isn't giant due to being in a pond, that is how they are meant to look.

They are really really messy buggers. They produce a lot of waste so I hope the filter is large , preferably an external cannsiter seeing as you have 4. I'm very glad you at least bought a filter of some sort which is more than most people bother to do! :notworthy:

I won't ask if you cycled it at all let alone fishless, as from the info given it seems unlikely. Still, if you've had them this long you will have undergone whats known as a "fish- in" cycle. And with such a messy species your bacterial colony will be mature by now anyway.

What sort of sucking fish is it? I really hope you aren't going to say a plec!!! The common ones get as big as and bigger than goldfish in many cases. If it is a plec I seriously suggest you rehome it. A picture would be great so we can know what it is you have. If you don't know what sort of plec or loach you've got you may not be caring for it's needs correctly ( not your fault if no one told you ) Plecs are also tropical fish so if it is one then don't keep it with goldfish.

The reason I ask about tanksize first off is because there may not be enough room in there, and so bickering and ganging up occurs due to overcrowding. Overcrowding is also a contributing factor in stunting growth in goldfish, the biggest factor of all is tanks that are too small and lack of filtration to go with it.

The body type of goldfish is also something to consider. Fancy types with rounded bodies and long droopy fins are poorer swimmers due to the way they have been selectively bred. Their fins and muscles aren't as efficient because of their altered body shapes. So they are slower at getting to food, are a little more prone to things like bloating and swimbladder disease, and find it hard to escape bullies in the tank because they can't get away quick enough.

Normal bodied goldfish are the most natural shape of course, so they are big active fish, and can have a tendency to pick on weaker fish and eat all the grub first.

Is there any way you can re home 3 of the fish( the bullies for example ) and the sucking fish if your tank is significantly less than 5 foot long minimum?

DO NOT KEEP SPLASHY IN A VASE. There is no problem keeping him by himself, they aren't generally a schooling species and are perfectly fine kept alone.

Go out as soon as you can and get the biggest clear plastic storage bin you can make room for. Wilkinsons do big ones for a fiver http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/invt/0239167

Set that up as a holding tank for Splashy, using dechlorinated water, and an internal cannister filter such as a Fluval 3 . Cut a small hole on the edge of the lid for the wire on the filter to come out, and also drill a few holes in the top of the lid to allow air in so that oxygen can mix with the water. Position the filter outlet pipe ( where the water comes out ) so that it sits half in and half out of the water. The surface of the water must be moving or at least rippling constantly, as that allows better oxygen absorbtion. ,

Seeing as he's more than likely stressed from the bullying, add some fake plants for him to hide in, and a light layer of gravel ( about an inch ) . It won't look amazingly spectacular, but it will keep him away from the bullies, and cut down on his stress which can lead to disease like whitespot.

You will need to do twice weekly 50% water changes on the plastic tub using dechlorinated water. WITHOUT FAIL. You should be doing the same on your main tank as a matter of course anyway seeing as you have so many messy fish in it.

No offence, but in future you should advise your in laws not to get fish on a whim , even the most commonly seen "easy" species like goldfish, all have the same basic needs, and really do require a lot of research and planning before you even add a drop of water to a tank. You are basically creating an ecosystem in a glass box and it's entirely up to you to keep it in balance to keep the fish healthy.

The best thing you can do is try to rehome most of the fish and keep just 1-2 ( say, Splashy and one of the most peaceful of the other fish ) . If your tank is less than 3.5- 4 foot long, then rehome them all, it will be the kindest thing.

If you do rehome them, you can simply add a heater to your main tank and keep some basic tropical fish. They are no harder to keep than goldfish I can promise you. In fact goldfish are more hassle in terms of basic living space and the amount of waste they produce.

If you need any help I'll be happy to help you.
Last edited by Honeythorn on 31 Aug 2008, 21:26, edited 2 times in total.
Captain Ahab rushed in, his craziness all unzipped......

" YER NEED TO DO MORE SEX! " ~ Drunken old Yorkshireman

http://www.sadeian.org/
Silver_Owl
The Don

:eek: :eek: :eek: I better send you a pm I think. :wink:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Honeythorn wrote:Righto *puts on fish hat*
how can i say this, ummm, doesn't that smell a bit?

What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
robertzombie
Overbomber

FISH!
eotunun
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:
Honeythorn wrote:Righto *puts on fish hat*
how can i say this, ummm, doesn't that smell a bit?

A Hallibhat ?
~Rufus T. Firefly
Silver_Owl
The Don

No - a hattock. :oops:

What am I thinking of?
I warned you people about derailing this thread :!: :evil:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Honeythorn
Amphetamine Filth

:eek: I WANT A NEMO HAT DADDY!!!! I WANT ONE I WANT ONE!!!!
Captain Ahab rushed in, his craziness all unzipped......

" YER NEED TO DO MORE SEX! " ~ Drunken old Yorkshireman

http://www.sadeian.org/
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Simplest solution: buy a brace of cats who will sit and watch the fish all day and put the wind up them in the way that cats do. Then the fish will be too busy trying to avoid the occasional paw that they will forget all about tormenting [ahem] Splashy.

The endgame is when you come down one morning to find the tank in smithereens all over the floor, the fish dead, and the cats sitting there giving you a look like, "Don't look at us like it's out fault - we found it like this. The fish committed spontaneous suicide. Hell, if I was a fish I probably would do the same. We would have helped them out but...eh, you know, we really couldn't be bothered. So is it breakfast time?"
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
eotunun
Overbomber

EB, you do know cats! :notworthy: :notworthy: :lol: :lol: :notworthy: :notworthy:
~Rufus T. Firefly
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I wonder where that fish did go, a fish, a fish, a fishy, oh!
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

robertzombie wrote:FISH!
Nemo The Emo gets everywhere :wink:
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Pista
Cureboi

Funniest thread I've read in ages.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Silver_Owl
The Don

Pista wrote:Funniest thread I've read in ages.
It's no laughing matter. :evil: Spare a thought for Splashy. He's stressed out man. :x

:wink:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

I once heard this story, this guy had to aquaria, one stuffed with posh tropical fish, another with cheapo goldfish. One of the tanks broke, so they put them together.

After a couple of weeks none of the tropical fish had survived, they had all been eaten up by the goldfish :eek:

Just a random word of warning, of course, as it's just a story I once have been told :)
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr