Crappy Connection

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Think I might be in need of some GeekHelp as my connection's gone terribly bad recently. Even takes a couple of mins to load pages with pictures/images on them such as the posting screens on HL...

Oddly though, my internet provider's speed test says I have some 14000kbps, no difference whether I'm either plugged in directly to the cable modem without the router interfering or when on wireless in my room upstairs, another independent speed test suggests values of 150 up to 1200 KB/s. But I reckon even 150 isn't slow enough to make simple pages take minutes to load, right?

I've tried both my Mac and the PC (wireless vs wired), they've got the same problem, I tried direct connection without Airport interfering, I called the provider to complain, they did ping tests and whatever more and said everything's perfectly alright and it should be down to software. Seems a bit odd to me, two independent computers on different systems both being reduced to net snails though?

If anyone's got an idea what could be wrong, don't hesitate :D
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

As I understand it, the only shared factor between your tests (different websites, different computers, different connection methods) is your ISP.

The connection between you and your ISP may be fast, but your ISP may be having problems between their gateway and the outside world.
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

That makes sense to me. However even when I surf to their own sites the 'speed' is dreadful...

But if it's them, I'm sure they'll never admit :roll:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Talk to them and threaten to switch provider. If that doesn't make any difference, well, switch provider. :|
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

Shouldn't you be studying sir?! mr. Obviousman!
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

MadameButterfly wrote:Shouldn't you be studying sir?! mr. Obviousman!
:lol:

Good luck with those final exams Z.! :notworthy:
"as we walk on the floodland"
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

I have been studying but, well, you need to check some things every now and then, right? :lol:

On topic: The speed has returned in much the same way as it disappeared. Even more certain it'll be the ISP then, I guess...
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Obviousman wrote:I have been studying but, well, you need to check some things every now and then, right? :lol:

On topic: The speed has returned in much the same way as it disappeared. Even more certain it'll be the ISP then, I guess...
Telenet eh? :|

I remeber the days that their connection was fast as feck and very stable.

Ahhh to be young again...

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

That's the major downside to cable, speed goes down as it gets more crowded, no?
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Bets thing you could do in the past.

Get cable first, then tell the rest of your neighbourhood it sucks.

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...