New laptop - hard drive automatically partitioned

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
robertzombie
Overbomber

Well the new uni laptop arrived today! Everything is working well but there is one small problem.

When I look on My Computer I see that the hard drive has been split (partitioned, right?) into C and D drives. I read online that this can be good and stops the hard drive from getting as cluttered but I would prefer for everything to be in one C drive.

So, my question is: how to I merge the D drive with the C?

Here's a picture

Cheers! :D
mh
Above the Chemist

Even if I was going to support multiple partitions (which I do under certain circumstances), that's way too huge for an OS partition.

Try this for size: http://www.vistarewired.com/2007/02/16/ ... dows-vista

(you'll need to delete your D drive first, of course)
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
robertzombie
Overbomber

Cheers Mike.
If I simply open up Disc Management, and delete the D drive will Windows automatically stick the remaining space into C (which is what I want)?

Or will I need to delete D, then expand C?
robertzombie
Overbomber

Right.
I deleted the D drive but I am unable to add the remaining disk space to the C drive because "Extend Partition" is greyed out when I right click on C.

:?

Any ideas?
nowayjose
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Install Linux or get a Mac. :kiss:
EvilBastard
Overbomber

nowayjose wrote:...get a Mac. :kiss:
Here you go:

Not sure how that will help, but it will certainly make the hard drive a lot prettier...
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
James Blast
Banned

that's a Mack not a Mac
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
methadrine
Road Kill

robertzombie wrote:Right.
I deleted the D drive but I am unable to add the remaining disk space to the C drive because "Extend Partition" is greyed out when I right click on C.

:?

Any ideas?
Install Partitionmagic.
eotunun
Overbomber

Get an XP boot CD or Win 98 or 2000, find FDISK on it (It's a dos software) and do what it says in the menue.
It worked for me, but that was years ago. I've no idea if your current drive is too big for it, though.
I don't know if the Microsofties introduced a new file system for Vista or still use NTFS as well.
"These are my principles! And if you don't like the just says so, I have others, too!"
~Rufus T. Firefly
robertzombie
Overbomber

It still uses NTFS.

Unfortunately Partitionmagic doesn't work on Vista yet. Looks like I'm just going to have to accept the partition!
mh
Above the Chemist

Try diskpart out - it's pretty good for this, if a little daunting!

http://www.vistarewired.com/2007/04/07/ ... oesnt-work

Otherwise, if you can grab a USB hard disk, you can backup and restore.

Otherwise, as it's a new machine, you can just reinstall to a single partition.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Mine was divided into C (for programs) and E (for "Data"). So I poured all my large files and ThornCult stuff into E, and keep C defragmented and in good shape. I'm sure it's helpful somehow.
robertzombie
Overbomber

That's what I'm gonna do :)