Sisters - Stooges etc - muciscal avenues not taken thoughts.

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Ghostrider
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

James Blast wrote:more Stones and Doors for me
would say Stones, Doors and Stooges.. which mixed up brilliantly.. :notworthy:

as Radiojamaica, was pulled into the sisters by SGWBM.. although for a lot of the songs on it, even more so i love the early demo versions that i discovered later on...
in that way, i prefer the distorted guitar version of floorshow more than the clean phantomdrum album version..
prefer the faster version of heartland

and i adore the Teachers/adrenochrome medley.. which in my eyes still represent what the sisters are.. inspired by Cohen, and live.. they are 100%
The signals clash
And disappear
The shade too loud
And the sound unclear

and we f**king love em for it..
i don't sleep, so i don't dream, so i don't wake up frightened...
everything is what it seems, if you look hard enough tonight and see...
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Nice one Ghostrider!
I'm with you man: the Floorshow demo is awesome and Teachers/Arenochrome at least as much 8) :notworthy:
in dub we trust
Harvey Winston
Amphetamine Filth

I'm a bit annoyed with myself for not liking their version of 1969 so much. the start is excellent, then eldtritch screams and it kinda shudders to a halt. I blame the drum machine, it just doesn't have the rhythm.
sultan2075
Overbomber

Harvey Winston wrote:I'm a bit annoyed with myself for not liking their version of 1969 so much. the start is excellent, then eldtritch screams and it kinda shudders to a halt. I blame the drum machine, it just doesn't have the rhythm.
Huh. I generally agree, except that those are the reasons I like it so much. It takes all kinds I guess.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Smallstone
Road Kill

My personal experience (and that of my little gaggle of 15 year old mates back in the day - we're talking 1986-87 here:) was hearing Sisters covers - 1969/Gimme Shelter etc BEFORE hearing the originals.... and then going out and buying Stones / Stooges records and really liking them/getting into those bands. I knew who Iggy Pop was and obviously the Stones - but some of these tunes I hadn't heard. All the best bands turn you onto something else musically.
It's not like today (adopts creaky old voice) where you can quickly google/you tube a band you've wanted to hear/discovered and get everything you want within minutes - back then one had to save up the cash and track down the records ... Ah the good old days.
If I had a top ten covers of all time - Emma and Knocking On Heavens Door would be duking it out thats for sure....