LASIK Eye Surgery

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

Anyone had the above?
Would you recommend it?

Cheers.
moses
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Erudite wrote:Anyone had the above?
Would you recommend it?

Cheers.
what does it say?
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

i'm against surgery in general. i wouldn't recommend any surgery to anyone if their lives depended on it. Most people have a different view..
we've got beer and we've got fuel
Dark
Underneath the Rock

itnAklipse wrote:i'm against surgery in general. i wouldn't recommend any surgery to anyone if their lives depended on it. Most people have a different view..
TROLL

BAIT

CAN'T

WAIT
Andrew S
Slight Overbomber

Erudite wrote:Anyone had the above?
Would you recommend it?

Cheers.
I've not had it myself but I knew somebody who was daft enough to take advantage of a promotional offer and have it done in both eyes. She can still drive but she said there was, if anyting, some deterioration in her eyesight as a result of the surgery. I've heard positive reports too, but as the eyes change, it's difficult to get right and initially good results may not last. And of course s**t sometimes happens. So, I'd say look into it but procede with extreme caution and if you go for it, do one eye at a time.
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

I like my glasses so I don't feel the need but this is not the topic.

My dioptre changes every ~2 years a little so this is something to consider because you may need more surgeries in the future to keep your eyes "up to date". And for every surgery there is a more or less little risk that it may causes more harm then health.
sultan2075
Overbomber

My sister had it done, and is very pleased with the results.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
boudicca
Sister Midnight

itnAklipse wrote:i'm against surgery in general. i wouldn't recommend any surgery to anyone if their lives depended on it.
:roll: :evil:
I hope you include yourself in that number.

@Don - my grandad had it and it seemed to do the job for him. My eyesight's pants and maybe when I'm older I'll go for it myself, but like Andrew said, doing one eye at a time.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Syberberg

itnAklipse wrote:i'm against surgery in general. i wouldn't recommend any surgery to anyone if their lives depended on it. Most people have a different view..
Just because your charisma implant surgery didn't work....:roll:
I don't necessarily agree with everything I think.
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

So the consensus would appear to be one eye at a time, if having it done...

For me it's a case of cost/risk vs freedom (particularly at gigs and in the rain).

Vanity might also be involved.
mh
Above the Chemist

I know a few folks who had it done and swear by it. The general advice above (with one possible exception...) seems pretty good.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
streamline
Slight Overbomber

I had both of mine done at the same time about 5 years ago.
I was very very shortsighted (about -7 and -6) and my eyes are a lot better now. My vision is not perfect but not too far off. I wear a pair of glasses for driving at night (personal choice rather than an absolute need).

I would recommend it 100% to anyone provided they remember the following;

1) it is not guaranteed to give you 20/20 vision. It depends on how shortsighted you are to start with etc etc. As I say, I am more than happy with my eyesight now - I can see the clock when I wake up in the middle of the night

2) I would wait until your eyes have stayed at the same prescription level for at least 3-5 years. No point having it done and then your eyes change again!

I know of at least 10 people who have had it done with no problems, and have never heard of anyonbody for whom it has gone wrong.

Hope this helps!

I trust you trust in me to mistrust you
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

streamline wrote:I had both of mine done at the same time about 5 years ago.
I was very very shortsighted (about -7 and -6) and my eyes are a lot better now. My vision is not perfect but not too far off. I wear a pair of glasses for driving at night (personal choice rather than an absolute need).

I would recommend it 100% to anyone provided they remember the following;

1) it is not guaranteed to give you 20/20 vision. It depends on how shortsighted you are to start with etc etc. As I say, I am more than happy with my eyesight now - I can see the clock when I wake up in the middle of the night

2) I would wait until your eyes have stayed at the same prescription level for at least 3-5 years. No point having it done and then your eyes change again!

I know of at least 10 people who have had it done with no problems, and have never heard of anyonbody for whom it has gone wrong.

Hope this helps!
Spot on - thanks. :)
_emma_
Overbomber

Erudite wrote:For me it's a case of cost/risk vs freedom (particularly at gigs and in the rain).
Contact lenses. 8)
No risk, no pain, no trouble. Wearing them you just feel like a healthy person who has perfect eyesight, and
You can change the colour of your eyes every month or so, which is cool. :D
Petseri
Overbomber

I know some (including a close family member) who whave had it done, and all are quite satisfied. If you go this route, just be certain to look for someone (no pun intended) with experience.
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

_emma_ wrote:
Erudite wrote:For me it's a case of cost/risk vs freedom (particularly at gigs and in the rain).
Contact lenses. 8)
No risk, no pain, no trouble. Wearing them you just feel like a healthy person who has perfect eyesight, and
You can change the colour of your eyes every month or so, which is cool. :D
I did enquire about contacts many years ago but found I couldn't get the damn things into my eyes. :lol:
Still, a long time ago, it might be worth trying again.

The water based ones are meant to be very comfortable.
_emma_
Overbomber

Once you've done it right for the first time, it becomes so easy that you have no problems taking them on/off in any circumstances including total darkness / shaking vehicles / wearing artificial nails / being completely drunk etc.
I've been wearing them everyday them for about 13 years now and I still consider them one of the best inventions of human kind, next to anaesthetics, coca-cola, mobile phones and the like.
:D
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

I'm nearsighted, and I've been wearing specs/contact lenses since I was about 12. I wouldn't have LASIK done if it were offered to me for free. Too many risks, and too much still unknown about the potential for long-term/unforeseen (HA!) complications. Remember, they're the only two eyes you'll ever own, unless you're a cyborg... *Shudder* :urff:
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
EvilBastard
Overbomber

I had a long chat about Lasik with my optician - he does it for his patients and he asked if it was something I was interested in. I said I'd been putting off having it done because of the risk of something going wrong. According to him, the problem that most patients report is a slight halo effect around lights at night, nothing bad enough to stop you driving but it's there. He reckoned that the question that not enough Lasik surgeons ask is "Are you a 'big picture' person or a 'details' person?" If you're a details person, for whom every detail has to be perfect, then the risks of Lasik are probably too great.

Based on this I decided not to have it done, but that's absolutely not to say that there are large numbers of people who have had it done who aren't delighted with the results. I guess that ultimately it's up to you, but it's definitely worth getting informed on the risks and then weighing those up. I don't mind wearing glasses - I quite like it. It's another "barrier" that I can use, and in my line of work the idea that glass can make you look smarter doesn't hurt either.
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
canon docre
Overbomber

I had one over 10 years ago and was very happy. Now I need glasses again, because eyes change the whole life. If I could I would do it again without hesitation. I didn't regret it one second.
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
Pista
Cureboi

Think I could do with some of that after the way I played darts tonight.

I had a friend (killed in a motorbike crash a few years back now) who had laser surgery on his eyes.
I had to go with him to London & he had one done at a time (you need to wear a fecking cotton wool patch over it for a day or 2 FFS, so 2 eyes at once is a little daft).
He played rugby & loved it, so wearing contacts was a bit risky. It worked for him.
Good excuse to mope around indoors for a week with shades on & curtains closed though.

However, for those squeamish about eyes & poking things in them, DO NOT watch the videos in the waiting room.
:urff:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Pista wrote:However, for those squeamish about eyes & poking things in them, DO NOT watch the videos in the waiting room.
That would be me.

I can say (from experience) that I would rather watch someone injecting themself with heroin than watch someone put in their contact lenses. :urff: :urff: :urff: :urff: :urff:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

I can't see the point :wink:
streamline
Slight Overbomber

Pista wrote:(you need to wear a fecking cotton wool patch over it for a day or 2 FFS, so 2 eyes at once is a little daft).
Beg to differ there, Steve :kiss:

I had both done in the late afternoon (to avoid bright sunlight) and just wore shades that evening with the lights quite low (how goth!). The next day my eyes were ok and didn't need covering at all.

After the zapping your eyes are very sensitive to light for a few hours and then quickly recover - it isn't much of a problem now as it probably was when your mate had it done.

No one has yet to mention the slight smell during the lasering.....

"What a weird burning smell that is", thinks I. "Fcuk - its me!"

:lol:

I trust you trust in me to mistrust you
Hexe Luciferia

markfiend wrote:
Pista wrote:However, for those squeamish about eyes & poking things in them, DO NOT watch the videos in the waiting room.
That would be me.

I can say (from experience) that I would rather watch someone injecting themself with heroin than watch someone put in their contact lenses. :urff: :urff: :urff: :urff: :urff:
Agree.
This is why I'm blind as bat and I cannot put lenses on (but, just in order to be a living and walking contradiction, I can put kajal/eyeliner on with no prob...it took me a while though, but I managed fine). :urff: :urff:
I'll shove that bat up your a** and turn you into a popsicle