Help with making DVDs please

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Can anyone recommend a good program for converting video files (mpeg, avi etc) to vob files for making playable DVDs? I know there are a few out there but wondered if anyone could give me some advice on which to use.

Are the free ones any good? And does anything handle all file formats (eg flv, DivX etc) or would I need to use different programs?

Thanks for any help or advice offered.
robertzombie
Overbomber

The best I've used is VSO's ConvertXtoDVD.

It's not free (unless you acquire it :innocent:) but it's very good and has been able to handle every file format I've tried with it (although, I haven't tried flv files).
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Thanks. I think that's one of the ones I looked at briefly earlier.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Anyone know of any open-source thing that does the same thing just out of interest?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Nic
Slight Overbomber

AVI2DVD is a pretty good freeware application.
All We Ever Wanted Was Everything
robertzombie
Overbomber

stufarq wrote:Thanks. I think that's one of the ones I looked at briefly earlier.
Need a copy? :innocent:
DerekR
Doobie Brother

TMPGenc DVDAuthor3 has never let me down. PM me if you need a *working* copy :innocent:
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

can someone help? i've tried at least five bits of software and i can't get any of my avi files to convert to dvd and then actually play. ConvertXtoDVD worked ok but i don't have a copy that doesn't put watermarks all over it. i really need to do it, or i'll let someone down badly
I don't wanna live like I don't mind
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

robertzombie wrote:
stufarq wrote:Thanks. I think that's one of the ones I looked at briefly earlier.
Need a copy? :innocent:
DerekR wrote:TMPGenc DVDAuthor3 has never let me down. PM me if you need a *working* copy :innocent:
Get thee behind me Satan! :twisted:
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Nic wrote:AVI2DVD is a pretty good freeware application.
Thanks. I'll check it out.

Has anyone tried Flick? I had downloaded it but before I got a chance to try it out my PC had a major crash. Because of the timing I was concerned that it might have been the download and deleted it as soon as I was up and running yet. I know it might not have been but I didn't want to take chances. Has anyone heard any similar stories or used it without problems?

Just occurred to me: if some packages only convert certain file types, is there anything that will convert different movie files to a single file type? I know there are programs for audio (eg Switch) but I don't think I've ever seen one for movies.

Edit: Just found one in Nic's link!
Pista
Cureboi

Why would you want to convert avi to vob?
The quality is not great, so all you'll end up doing is bloating a lossy format.
Don't most dvd players play avi files off a disc nowadays anyway?
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Do they? I don't know. I thought vob was the standard format for DVDs. Isn't that what's on commercial DVDs?

Clearly my knowledge of this is fairly limited. All I want is to make playable discs, whatever format that involves. If I'm barking up the wrong tree, please put me right.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Pista wrote:Why would you want to convert avi to vob?
The quality is not great, so all you'll end up doing is bloating a lossy format.
Don't most dvd players play avi files off a disc nowadays anyway?
For the most part, yes. But if (say) your DVD player that does play AVIs is in one room and you want to watch them in another room, it's either move the player (too much hassle shifting bajillions of cables around) or copy them to VOB DVDs.

On the other hand, I really need to set up a proper home network, run the TV off something like a VLC server...
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

No, that's too much hassle for me. Both DVD players (R2 & multiregion) in the living room, watch everything there.
Pista
Cureboi

It's true, some don't do avi, so you'd need to convert if your player can't read avi.

What are the players?
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

"avi" is only a container format wich can contain different codecs like divx, motion jpg, h.264..... If you like to figure out what codec is inside, I'd recommend this tool:

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/

Just drag & drop the file into this tool and you will get all the specs.

For transcoding video files into a DVD compliant format (like MPG2), you can try this one:

http://mediacoder.sourceforge.net/

It also may work with some Nero Burning Rom versions - just drag & drop the files into a new Video DVD project - Nero should transcode non-compliant files automatically.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Now something that simple would be ideal! :notworthy: