Killing Joke unique 2-day event 2008

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Maybe of interest for some of you, according to Belgian site ABconcerts:

There's life after death. That must have been what singer Jaz Coleman of KILLING JOKE was thinking when, after almost 20 years, he spoke to drummer Paul Ferguson again at the funeral of bass player Paul Raven (who also took honours for Ministry and Prong). This meeting created a spark and it was decided to can a new album with the original line-up and plan a unique world tour for September. Bass player Martin 'Youth' Glover also returns to the stage for the first time since the 'Pandemonium' tour in 1994, and guitarist Kevin 'Geordie' Walker has joined the fray too.

The unique tour, which brings them to just 11 cities around the world in September (Tokyo, New York, London, and the AB in Brussels) is a two-day residency, with a different set on each night:

- On Monday 29 September Killing Joke play their full albums, 'Killing Joke' (1980) and 'What's THIS For ...! (1981).

- On Tuesday 30 September they do 'Pandemonium' (1994) and the singles they recorded in their early years (1979, 1980) on the Island Records label.

And with this Killing Joke (once described by drummer Paul Ferguson as 'the sound of the earth vomiting') are back from having been away. Still a vital presence on the border between post punk and metal, it was they who managed to combine metal with tribal rhythms and so create a unique atmosphere of looming doom and revolt. In 2003, with their second titleless album, they proved themselves a force to be reckoned with. On that album fan-for-life Dave Grohl (Nirvana, Foo Fighters) played the drums.

Singer Jaz Coleman has been involved in classical music for some time now. He is currently the resident composer for the Prague Symphony Orchestra and was formerly at the London Symphony Orchestra and The Auckland Philharmonic. In 2001 he wrote his first grand opera for the Royal Opera House in London.

In the meantime guitarist Youth has become a much sought-after producer. He has produced the likes of 'Urban Hymns' by The Verve and 'Riot City Blues' by Primal Scream.

We'll be opening both KILLING JOKE concerts with the screening of an exclusive 30 minute preview of the documentary 'The Death & Resurrection Show'. Following an interview with Jaz Coleman in a concert venue in Prague (were he's working as composer), the Czech journalist Jana becomes obsessed by the eccentric musician/composer and she travels together with him to a number of 'holy' places from his past.

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Ahráyeph
Slight Overbomber

I've been planning to go and see them ever since I found out about the gigs. Anyone else going, make sure to bring earplugs, though, because, like Motörhead, they play at a deafening volume, which they themselves called 'welding volume' on their last - and killer - album 'Hosannahs from the Basements Of Hell'...

Oh yeah : opening act are French industrialists Treponem Pal; sadly known as the band Paul Raven was recording with when he died...
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

Aye, got my tickets for both Forum gigs. Didn't know they were showing a filim before hand though, best take ice cream. Would be a shame if they don't work on a new album eventually but time'll tell.
To not know and to ask a question is a moment of embarrassment; to not know and not ask is a lifetime of shame.
Ramone
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Hmm so does this mean I won't be able to hear them play Night time and Love like blood.. ?

( Uncle Albert moment, sorry kids) back in 1980, I stood outside what used to Erics and was then Brady's and listened to Killing Joke through the air extractor grill, becuase I was too young to go in for the evening performance. My second encounter with them was at The Royal Court were I got a poster signed by Youth..signed Yuoht ..cos he's either very eccentric or thick..he even walked through the crowd and climbed on the stage rather than going through the maze of corridors to get onstage. The man was a star!

Well he was to a young Ramone back in 1980 !

OH and I went to see Motley Crue at Wembley a couple of years back, Joke were supporting and my mate failed to turn up on time, so yet again I had to stand out side and hear them play Wardance through a wall!!!
"It was great that Kurt Cobain shot himself when he did..cos without that ,we'd have no Foo Fighters today" :Ramone, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever. November 2008
James Blast
Banned

you should choose your friends more carefully ;D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

Good interview here:

http://vivelepunk.net/index.php?option= ... view&id=18

Would like to hear a remixed Brighter Than A Thousand Suns.
To not know and to ask a question is a moment of embarrassment; to not know and not ask is a lifetime of shame.
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

Ooo, hasn't he lost weight....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9nYZtHjzao
edu
Road Kill

I saw them yesterday in Barcelona.
Superb.

Obviously the highlight was love like blood + eighties -> one just after the other....
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

They played Blood and Eighties!!?? :eek: Youf says they played a new song called "Timewave" - how was that?
Ghost
Road Kill

edu wrote:I saw them yesterday in Barcelona.
Superb.

Obviously the highlight was love like blood + eighties -> one just after the other....
I'm very sad they didn't come to Portugal, good to know that at least they pulled a good show to our Iberian neighbors. :)
Andie
Overbomber

Almiche V wrote:Aye, got my tickets for both Forum gigs. Didn't know they were showing a filim before hand though, best take ice cream. Would be a shame if they don't work on a new album eventually but time'll tell.
will have to figure out someplace to meet up Mike...I'll be the f**ker dressed in black!! :roll: :wink: :lol:
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.
Debaser
Overbomber

Andie wrote:
Almiche V wrote:Aye, got my tickets for both Forum gigs. Didn't know they were showing a filim before hand though, best take ice cream. Would be a shame if they don't work on a new album eventually but time'll tell.
will have to figure out someplace to meet up Mike...I'll be the f**ker dressed in black!! :roll: :wink: :lol:
And I'll be sporting summatz orange and being very giddy
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
Andie
Overbomber

Debaser wrote:
Andie wrote:
And I'll be sporting summatz orange and being very giddy
somehow, i doubt that we're helping Mike here :innocent: :lol:
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.
Debaser
Overbomber

Placards with 'It's me!' may help ;)
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

We should all wear pink carnations and have rolled up copies of The Times under our arms.
biggy

Debaser wrote:Placards with 'It's me!' may help ;)
We booked a travelodge right next to kings cross train stn in the end.
We'll be on the train anyway & Kentish town is only 3 or so stops up the line.
You there both nights? I forget.
Love ? Love is just f**king with a kiss thrown in !!!
biggy

We've all been to a WAAARRRRRRRRDAAAAAAANCE

Two great nights. Youth looks a right cocknocker though.

:notworthy:
Love ? Love is just f**king with a kiss thrown in !!!
Donald
Road Kill

Excellent pair of gigs. I'm listening to the CDs right now :D A little pricey perhaps but good stuff.
Debaser
Overbomber

Well I'll be the partypooper then....I thought the gigs were a disappointment :cry: Thought the sound levels were bobbins and I was mildly irked that they repeated tracks on the second night - they have loads of stuff they could've dipped into rather than repeat. I've seen them MUCH MUCH better in the last few years - The Shepherd's Bush gigs were phenomenal in comparison. And there never was/has been or will be any need for bloody Asteroid - it's s**t.

Jaz was looking trimmer than I've seen him of late and more of a burke than I've heard him of late. But hey ho, he's still on my top ten list of front men.

Are the discs any cop, Bigster?
DJ Nephilimbabe
Road Kill

Fridays KJ gig was way more better than Saturdays.

Even Treponam Pal lacked drive at Saturdays event.

Highlight for Saturday was definately hearing 'Turn to Red'

Lowlights - no encore on Saturday after the stage lights came back on / sound distortion on Saturday / quite a few same songs played on both nights and the DJ was appauling.
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

Debaser wrote:Thought the sound levels were bobbins and I was mildly irked that they repeated tracks on the second night - they have loads of stuff they could've dipped into rather than repeat.

And there never was/has been or will be any need for bloody Asteroid - it's s**t.
Agreed. Although I was more than mildly irked at the repeated songs, and they didn't play all of Pandemonium. I wouldn't have minded but they played the p*ss poor songs (Black Moon, Labyrinth) and dropped Maths of Chaos and Millenium FFS! Two of their best for me.

Good things though -BPF is a top drummer, Youth talking meant it wasn't the Jaz Coleman show as much as usual, the visuals were good. Exorcism should always be played, along with Money Is Not Our God, Primitive and Butcher. What's This For is a top album. Thought the new song was naff, but will interested to hear the 7 or 8 others they've written.