introducing your child to TSOM music

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
claws
Amphetamine Filth

At what age is this appropriate to do? Which records/tracks are suitable? I mean... you don't want to scare the kid away just because it's too hard for a beginner to listen to (like most of "Some girls....")
We are coming down but we will never, never land
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

before she was born.

a birthing tape, including sisters, motorhead, iggy etc.

no wonder she didn't want to come out :lol: :lol: :lol:

now she shakes her tailfeather to Alice 2004 :oops:

but she still likes a blast of sputnik :wink:
Goths have feelings too
Loki
God of Mischief and Discord

'Hey now
hey
now now'

Trust me. My 12 year old daughter regularly checks in with '... any good recordings of TC?' Give 'em studio stuff then they'll appreciate the bootie stuff. :von:
Loki was never worshiped as the other Gods,
Which is quite understandable.
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

around 94-95 (imsmr) german mag zillo mentioned a rumor about the sisters to planing setting the music to german fairy tales by the famous grimm brothers.
i am sorry especially for all the kids on this board conceived under the gun of the sisters that this was a hoax!
anyway, i am sure that your child will decide on what to listen to first.
or you use the instrumentals as backgroundsound during a reading of the grimms' fairy tales
love is just a shot away
Andie
Overbomber

once your child makes it into their teens they'll make up their own mind on TSOM...

my oldest has just finished remining me of this fact...and i'm to stay the fcuk out of her life!

:roll:
Carrie
Amphetamine Filth

Apparently 24 week foetuses can hear external sounds quite well, so last week seemed a good time to start the lad on the path to righteousness...

Not sure if the resultant kicks to 'Floodland' were ecstatic chicken dancing or 'bloody HELL woman, keep the noise down out there!'. Nor have I had the opportunity to lug self & sprog to any TSOM gigs, sadly. But he does jump about to the m*****n live, judging by the 3 I've been to this week...
Queen of the mean!
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Both my boys, 10 and 4, think The Sisters are 'pants'. And it ain't from the lack of trying on my part.

Sigh.

Mind you, I've long since given up on Reece, the 10yr-old, he even supports Leeds. Little *&@!%$.
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
claws
Amphetamine Filth

you have to make sure that the kids don't listen to anything else than TSOM :)

not the easiest things but it can probably be done
We are coming down but we will never, never land
Barracuda
Amphetamine Filth

claws wrote:At what age is this appropriate to do? Which records/tracks are suitable? I mean... you don't want to scare the kid away just because it's too hard for a beginner to listen to (like most of "Some girls....")
At conception.
Chairman Bux
shut.the.fuck.up

Barracuda wrote:
claws wrote:At what age is this appropriate to do? Which records/tracks are suitable? I mean... you don't want to scare the kid away just because it's too hard for a beginner to listen to (like most of "Some girls....")
At conception.
Most definitely. ;)
Minister of Misinformation and Misdirection.

We first met through a shared view
She loved me and I did too
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber
Location: Rick Astley's house. Trying to find out why he chooses to look like Timsinister.

You introduce your child to the same stuff that you like and you'll end up with a kid like Saffy! (Ab. Fab.) Tell 'em Westlife is the way to go and they'll rebel.
Only a paand.
Barracuda
Amphetamine Filth

Sexygoth wrote:You introduce your child to the same stuff that you like and you'll end up with a kid like Saffy! (Ab. Fab.) Tell 'em Westlife is the way to go and they'll rebel.
I got a friend from uni days with a couple of kids, a girl of about 10 now and a boy about 6. The girl isn't into her dad's music at all, the boy loves it. Go figure.
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Children?! Are you quite mad? I don't want any, thankyouverymuch. Guess I won't get to corrupt any wee tykes, then...alas! :wink:
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

SINsister wrote:Children?! Are you quite mad? I don't want any, thankyouverymuch. Guess I won't get to corrupt any wee tykes, then...alas! :wink:
Even if you don't have your own children, you can still corrupt other people's :twisted:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
straylight
Amphetamine Filth

Sexygoth wrote:You introduce your child to the same stuff that you like and you'll end up with a kid like Saffy! (Ab. Fab.) Tell 'em Westlife is the way to go and they'll rebel.
Very true.

The trick is don't let them hear your music properly, turn it off when they come in the room & tell them it's not 'suitable' for them in their tender years, & praise any bland pop idol type stuff as being a good influence.

They will be gagging for good stuff by the time they are 7.
davee
Road Kill

(OK, so I've just joined the forum which is why I'm replying to a four-year-old thread. In fact, the thread started just when my youngest was born and - as she's the star of this show - that seems most appropriate).

My two girls are 7 and 4, and both like the poppier versions of TSOM stuff, generally the Floodland- and Vision Thing-era stuff.

The asked me recently to put some of "Daddy's music" on to a CD for them to dance to in their bedroom. They wanted TOL92 and "Dominion".

7-year-old: Yes! "Dominion", *crash*, "Mother Russia..."
4-year-old: No, no, no. That's not right. The one with the *crash* is not the one with "Mother Russia" on it. I like the one with "Mother Russia" in.
7-year-old: But I like the *crash*!!
4-year-old: I like "Mother Russia"!!

An argument is brewing but then, with wisdom beyond her years, the little turns to me as asks:

"Daddy, can we have *both* versions on our CD, please?"

Yours sincerely,

A Proud Dad.
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

Planet Dave wrote:Both my boys, 10 and 4, think The Sisters are 'pants'. And it ain't from the lack of trying on my part.

Sigh.

Mind you, I've long since given up on Reece, the 10yr-old, he even supports Leeds. Little *&@!%$.
He's back! :notworthy:

I told you lot!

Quite obviously Reece has it right on both counts :)
aims
Overbomber

Norman Hunter wrote:
Planet Dave wrote:Both my boys, 10 and 4, think The Sisters are 'pants'. And it ain't from the lack of trying on my part.

Sigh.

He's back! :notworthy:

I told you lot!

Quite obviously Reece has it right on both counts :)
Not to burst your bubble, but that post's from 2004. Give him time 8)

No kids to indoctrinate, but my younger brother seems to have quite taken to my record collection since I've left for university.

It's my better half that still needs convincing, and that's going to be a bit of an uphill struggle :|

Oh well, there's always my "acceptable" Dresden Dolls albums :lol:
sultan2075
Overbomber

Chairman Bux wrote: Ad astra per alia porci
What an odd coincidence. I included this phrase on a multiple choice quiz I gave to a class just three days ago.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Dark
Underneath the Rock

I couldn't really convert anyone.

My ex liked a few of the songs from Japan's first album, and that's about the best I could hope for. Even if it does now feel a bit uncomfortable to listen to that album. :|
eotunun
Overbomber

Mrs RicheyJames wrote:You introduce your child to the same stuff that you like and you'll end up with a kid like Saffy! (Ab. Fab.) Tell 'em Westlife is the way to go and they'll rebel.
This looks like a promissing way to do it, yupp. :lol:
There is shadow under this red rock
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

Motz wrote:Not to burst your bubble, but that post's from 2004. Give him time 8)
Durr!!! Got all excited, then :urff:

My bubble is fine, thanks! :D

Back on topic - our young 'un has had a bit of a sing-a-long to This Corrosion, but that's about it really. She much prefers a bit of Johnny Cash anyday.
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Nice first post Davee. Welcome to HL!! 8)
"as we walk on the floodland"
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

I don't see the need to introduce the Sisters to my daughter.

She will find it, eventually.

If she can't find daddy's 100 plus Sissies collection, it's time to go to the optician with her I think! :lol:

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
eotunun
Overbomber

On the downside, she'll need some time to learn the propper usage and handling of the media. I wish you could ask my father about what we did to his tapes, back in '72 or '73.. :innocent:
There is shadow under this red rock