SISTERS for the USA Fall 08

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

Um, the venues for Portland and Seattle are reversed. El Corazón is in Seattle, Roseland is in Portland (as one might expect in The City of Roses).

Not that it would seem to be of any concern to anyone here; I'm just sayin'... :roll:
Who can begin conventional amiability the first thing in the morning?
It is the hour of savage instincts and natural tendencies.
--Elizabeth von Arnim
vicus
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

7anthea7 wrote:
Um, the venues for Portland and Seattle are reversed. El Corazón is in Seattle, Roseland is in Portland (as one might expect in The City of Roses).
:oops: fixed :innocent:
"Am Anfang wurde das Universum erschaffen.
Das machte viele Leute sehr wütend und wurde allenthalben als Schritt in die falsche Richtung angesehen."

http://www.poison-door.net/
vicus

"Am Anfang wurde das Universum erschaffen.
Das machte viele Leute sehr wütend und wurde allenthalben als Schritt in die falsche Richtung angesehen."

http://www.poison-door.net/
bismarck

Yeah, that key art is used in the NYC papers, too. Must be supplied by the band? Also Brooklyn and Manhattan are postrered with nice-looking bills adervertising Laibach (30th) and The Sisters. I'll post a pic some time. I got my tix, nice ones. Some time, a long time before Silver Bullet, I posted somewhere on here that I'd love to see The Sisters play Irving Plaza again (they played there once before as I recall... CMJ 1984 or something). It's my favorite venue in the city... so I, for one, am really looking forward. If any Heartlanders are planning the trip, reserve your space on my sofa soon. New York is pricey... Priority to those I know..

It's kind of a laugh (the kind that sticks in your throat) that in 2006 they played Webster Hall, which was called The Ritz when they played there in 1984, and now the play Irving Plaza (which is now called Fillmore East or some nonsense) which they played earlier in 1984. They're doing the venues in reverse. Pretty soon they'll be playing the F Club. But honestly, I think it's great. I used to be sad that they're not drawing the big crowds anymore, but now (call me old-fashioned) I like it that they're becoming a club band again. I think these new boys have injected some real life into the band, and I think that bodes well for new recorded material. And extensive touring as we're now seeing could possibly be Eldritch's attempt to build up a fanbase in the same way he did in the early 1980s. Either that or sell some tshirts. we'll see.
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

vicus wrote:Image
Nice! :notworthy:
"as we walk on the floodland"
Mothra

stefansonic wrote:I actually saw by accident that The Sisters are playing at Irving Plaza because I was going to buy on line tickets for Killing Joke. After what happened to me the last time they played NYC I almost don't even want to see them anymore. Funny how in 1998 & 1999 they play Roseland, a suppossedly 5000 capacity venue, then in 2006 they play The Ritz (Webster Hall) a 1500 capacity venue, now they play Irving Plaza, an 800 capacity venue. Maybe they should play in someone's basement instead. I feel like old dinosaur bands like Rolling Stones and The Who should stop touring already, maybe The Sisters should stop touring already too, it's not like they are real tours promoting anything new anyway???
Maybe Andrew (and the others) just enjoy playing live, and are in the fortunate position to still be able to get paid for doing something they like. Nothing more or less than that.
Llamatron
Amphetamine Filth

DrG wrote: BTW -- I got a small posse making themselves ready for Buffalo. 8)

EDIT -- Thanks for the info Llamatron... :notworthy:

EDIT 2 -- Did you notice anything with security that might impede the import of a recording device? :innocent:
As do I. Five so far. :D

...and you're welcome. Security there was pretty unobtrusive. The cursory "are you of legal drinking age?" and "are you heavily armed?", and that's about it. They did ask what's in your pockets, but not once did I see them actually bother to look. I'd venture to guess anything short of a mixing board and a reel-to-reel could probably make it in. :lol:

EDIT: And while The Sisters aren't listed on the venue's web site as of yet, tickets are most definitely for sale. I know, because several of them are living at my house at the moment.
Left at the dead badger.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

bismarck wrote:
paint it black wrote:
bismarck wrote:Anyone planning on making the NYC show and need a very cheap place to stay, I know of the one-and-only $40/night hostel/hotel walking distance from the gig. PM for details, or email. Any Brits planning the trip by the way?
sadly not. nor any other :?

still, you deserve a gig just down the road :notworthy:
Thanks mate. Of course, were YOU to make the trip, my guestroom would be open to you (if it makes a difference)
you're very kind :notworthy: :notworthy: but we have all sorts of medical things going on and sadly November is gonna get a whole lot worse

will try to drop you a PM soon :oops:
Goths have feelings too
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Llamatron wrote:I'd venture to guess anything short of a mixing board and a reel-to-reel could probably make it in.
Bugger - there go my plans to weed the NY gig. Sorry all :cry:

"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

Just wanted to pass on a tip from my extensive search of cheap US flights (I'm not going over just to see the Sisters..) during november.

For those who want to/need to/can afford it/have the time;

This tour is taking place a special time of year, and it seems all Europeans and/or Americans are travelling before, during and after Halloween/All saint's day in the beginning of the tour, and Thanksgiving by the end of the tour.

This means you are going to find the bargains in the middle of the tour. Check out Florida (450 euros from Frankfurt compared to more than 600 for NYC!) or big airports like Atlanta and Chicago. You should be able to go to these places for 500 or less. In any case, don't make the mistake to believe that NY will be the cheapest from Europe this time, because it won't.

Especially Florida tickets are -very- good value compared to what they normally cost. Time to go swimming in your Sisters shirt!
Purple Light
Slight Overbomber

As posted on the other "Official Site Update" thread...

Now this is all confirmed properly, does anyone think we could get a Near Meth gig again in a grotty little Leeds dive? (asks a man with no money & no chance of seeing them on this tour :cry: )
“I got lost in the mirror, wondering what could have been, I couldn’t help but kill her, but I couldn’t kill the dream.”
bismarck

As an interesting note: the Boston show was moved to a LARGER capacity venue in Worcester (a suburb) as tickets are selling like hotcakes...
The great questions of the day will not be
resolved by speeches and majority decisions,
but by iron and blood.
- Otto von Bismarck
Bill Hicks
Amphetamine Filth
Location: stuck inside of my mobile with the Memphis blues again.

As an interesting note: the Boston show was moved to a LARGER capacity venue in Worcester (a suburb) as tickets are selling like hotcakes...
Great news. World domination next! :von:
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

Bill Hicks wrote:
Great news. World domination next! :von:

I'd settle for a new album. :roll:
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

I've not bought any tickets yet - eep. :(
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

SINsister wrote:I've not bought any tickets yet - eep. :(
You will though...won't you?!
"as we walk on the floodland"
aims
Overbomber

Purple Light wrote:As posted on the other "Official Site Update" thread...

Now this is all confirmed properly, does anyone think we could get a Near Meth gig again in a grotty little Leeds dive? (asks a man with no money & no chance of seeing them on this tour :cry: )
Seeing as how I will be in the people's republic by then, sod's law has an emphatic No! for that one :lol:
opop
Road Kill

i dont mean to be rude but can anyone convince me to keep the tickets I bought a few days off of livenation.com

I spent around $100 for 2 tickets to the fillmore, nyc on nov. 3 for my cousin and I who've been fans for close to a decade now.

I've been a sisters of mercy fan for 8-9 years now (since I was 15) and I was hoping this would be a real treat but reading some things online were REALLY discouraging :?

things like....

-they don't play any of their hits (for an example anything on the first, last and always album)
-they sound really bad live or are just a bad live band, andrew mostly screams out whatever lyrics he hasn't forgotten and isn't nearly as coherent as the studio recordings
-andrew is bald now and wears things like hockey jerseys? wtf? on stage
-where the rest of the band gone? ... is andrew a has been with a big ego? (not saying he is, but if its the case I'd really rather see a full fledged artistic performance)

most of these comments are from the 2006 tour I believe, if I'm to believe that nothing is going to be different I'm not sure I should go but if hes getting his act together or doing something different I'd be more than willing to go.

so should I go? I really hate when artists aren't faithful to there studio recordings, a really good example of what I mean is billy corgan/smashing pumpkins.
opop
Road Kill

never mind the previous post

http://www.youtube.com/user/DocSommer

they seem awesome!
Rantz
Road Kill

opop wrote:i dont mean to be rude but can anyone convince me to keep the tickets I bought a few days off of livenation.com

:::snip:::

things like....

-they don't play any of their hits (for an example anything on the first, last and always album)
-they sound really bad live or are just a bad live band, andrew mostly screams out whatever lyrics he hasn't forgotten and isn't nearly as coherent as the studio recordings
-andrew is bald now and wears things like hockey jerseys? wtf? on stage
-where the rest of the band gone? ... is andrew a has been with a big ego? (not saying he is, but if its the case I'd really rather see a full fledged artistic performance)
I've been a Sisters fan since '86, and through various scheduling problems, they remained the one band that I really dug that I had never been able to see live... until the 2006-Silver Bullet Tour. I went into it (I'll fully admit) nervous, because I'd heard the same grumbling and complaints you're talking about, but I felt like I HAD to go... didn't know if I'd have another chance, so... deep breath and dove on in.

Man, I'm f**king glad I did.

Great sound, great performance, great energy, and a set list that covered everything from the early singles up to a large portion of 'new' (Read: unreleased) material. It made me VERY happy for this tour, and that they are playing the same venue. (there's a decent quality recording of the gig I went to HERE: http://www.myheartland.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=13780 so you can judge for yourself)

If you're a fan, I'd recommend it. I mean, *I* am actually considering doing the full run of shows from San Diego to LA, so... hopefully that speaks to the quality of their current live sets.
psichonaut
Overbomber

opop wrote:never mind the previous post

http://www.youtube.com/user/DocSommer

they seem awesome!
:D Doc always do great works :wink:
thanks...my Lord...i'm unbeliver
tear up your pants for psicho...and jump on him
dtsom
Slight Overbomber

DEAR opop

forget the silver bullet tour. it was 2 years ago. it remains to the past.....

now we´re in 2008 and the sisters did an incredible gig in belgium this year, i was there so i can tell you that it was superb

i mean now is a new usa tour whit the boys on top and whit new sound man(i suppouse because JJ has things whit his band) so don´t think about it and give us your point of view after you see the gig your planing to go!!!

probably from first and last and always album, you´ll only get first and last and always is the set but WE HAD "GOOD THINGS"IN BELGIUM so who knows.... :innocent: :innocent:
2023: Los Ángeles,Las Vegas, Londonx2, Valencia Madrid, Lisbon, Porto, Bilbao
2024: Gent- Eindhoven - Lokeren - Madrid
paul
Overbomber

dtsom wrote:DEAR opop

forget the silver bullet tour. it was 2 years ago. it remains to the past.....

now we´re in 2008 and the sisters did an incredible gig in belgium this year, i was there so i can tell you that it was superb

i mean now is a new usa tour whit the boys on top and whit new sound man(i suppouse because JJ has things whit his band) so don´t think about it and give us your point of view after you see the gig your planing to go!!!

probably from first and last and always album, you´ll only get first and last and always is the set but WE HAD "GOOD THINGS"IN BELGIUM so who knows.... :innocent: :innocent:
I totally agree with you, Diego!!!
opop
Road Kill

I'd love a revival of black planet, no time to cry, walk away or marian

I'm going to avoid coming back here once the shows start, I want the set list to be a surprise