So ..Who am I looking out for 2nite at Wildhearts/Motorhead?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Ian - Rhythm Smurph
Utterly Bastard Smurph

There was a thread about the Motorhead tour a while back.

Tonight at Leeds uni.

Me and Bass Smurph'll be there - anyone else?
Scardwel
Slight Overbomber

See you there mate! :D
Ian - Rhythm Smurph
Utterly Bastard Smurph

Cool.

I'm very excited!
Padstar
Utterly Bastard Smurph

Review..... review!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paddy.
Still playing guitar - sometimes weird shaped ones.
Ian - Rhythm Smurph
Utterly Bastard Smurph

Well - Support band was a bunch of young 'uns for Autin Texas (as they kept reminding us) - They were called Young Heart Attack. The kind sounded a lot like AC/DC, but maybe played a little faster.
So if you like that kinda thing they were v good - else you'd probably be a little bored.
Oh and they were very, very loud.

Next .. The Wildhearts, pretty damned good and they made some absolute genious choices of material, keeping things heavy for the Motorhead fans, introducing the new stuff and their typical sing a long choruses and then throwing in a perfectly played version of Everlone with is loud bits, heavy bits, chorus bits, solo bits and timing changes to proved how versatile and adpet they are. As a support bad they didn't have quite as much time for crowd banter as usual and a song like caffibe bomb woould have been a good crowd please to end on - but all it all I liked it. I assume they are touring with Motorhead to broaden their rech again and start rebuilding their fan base. There were a lot of w/h t-shirts around and they went down faily well - but I suspect that a lot of the audience were fixed on seeing motorhead, and possibly not even 'cos they were fans (see my rant later). Anyhoo I still think the Wildhearts are one of the best UK rock bands ever and if there was any justice in the world they'd be huge.

So Motorhead - what can I say - they were Motorhead - solid, loud, energetic and good fun, and I love it - they threw a cover of God Save the Queen in early on deicated to the punks (thanx) in the audience and Lemmy made a comment about not getting hung up on differnt hair cuts and punks and rockers being part of the same family - which was nice.
Dr Rock, R.A.M.O.N.E.S, overkill, killed by death, going to brazil, and many many more old and new - fantastic!

Now for my grumble - there were a hell of a lot of motorhead t-shirts in the audience (more band shirts than I've ever seen at any gig for any band before) and most of them looked brand new. And looking around during the gig it was obvious that 80% of the punters didn't have a clue what any of the songs were - except for ace of spades obviously. Tickets were far from cheap £22.50 including booking fee, so I can't see there were many people there out of curiosity - I just got the impression there were a load of people there trying to aquire some wierd idea of cool by going to a motorhead gig - it does take the edge of a bit when a band are playing one of there biggest hits ever, such a killed by death, and there are only a few people who seem to know the words.
Maybe the fact that they were there is good enough but I suspect there were a load of people who probably missed out on darkness tickets and so plumped to see the only other 'Heavy Metal' band they had heard of - A victim of their own fame maybe!
Still there were also a load of aging bikers and hippies swapping stories about seeing motorhead in the 70's and arguing about just when it was that they saw hawkwind with Lemme on bass.
I really hope Motorhead don't turn into some kind of cheap fashion accessory!

Oh - And Scardwel I spotted you in the queue for the draft bar as I was queing for a dog in the bottle bar across the hall but I'd lost track of you by the time I got my beer.
Scardwel
Slight Overbomber

Ian - Rhythm Smurph wrote:Well - Support band was a bunch of young 'uns for Autin Texas called Young Heart Attack.
I didn't see 'em so I can't comment (got to the venue a few minutes before The Wildies came on stage) but from your description it sounds like they were worth checking out.
Ian - Rhythm Smurph wrote: Next .. The Wildhearts, pretty damned good and they made some absolute genious choices of material,
Agreed! They were tight & energetic as ever and it was good to hear the new stuff and a few of the more oscure oldies they don't play very often (e.g. "In Like Flynn" & "Shut Your F**king Mouth") but where was Danny Wildheart? Still in re-hab I guess... :(
Ian - Rhythm Smurph wrote: So Motorhead - what can I say - they were Motorhead - solid, loud, energetic and good fun, and I love it
Yeah I loved it too - probably the best I've seen 'em, although they didn't play Capricorn or Bomber but I guess we can't have everything.
Ian - Rhythm Smurph wrote: Now for my grumble - there were a hell of a lot of motorhead t-shirts in the audience (more band shirts than I've ever seen at any gig for any band before) and most of them looked brand new. And looking around during the gig it was obvious that 80% of the punters didn't have a clue what any of the songs were
I got that impression too, but all in all I had a good time and that's what counts. The only grumble I had was having to queue for what seemed like ages to get in, queued ages to get a pint, and there even long queues for the toilets!
Ian - Rhythm Smurph wrote: Oh - And Scardwel I spotted you in the queue for the draft bar as I was queing for a dog in the bottle bar across the hall but I'd lost track of you by the time I got my beer.
Yeah I spotted Bass Smurph in the bottle bar queue but got side-tracked when I bumped into an old friend from Uni...
Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

Scardwel wrote:The only grumble I had was having to queue for what seemed like ages to get in, queued ages to get a pint, and there even long queues for the toilets!
Aahh! Students. I remember the days when I didn't mind queuing 6 deep at the bar. Patience is a virtue. Or was it cos I daren't venture off campus? Nowadays, any pub that serves lager will do.
Ian - Rhythm Smurph wrote:Still there were also a load of aging bikers and hippies swapping stories about seeing motorhead in the 70's and arguing about just when it was that they saw hawkwind with Lemme on bass.
Aahh! Stonehenge. Those were the days...
Go to sleep now, Francis.