Non-Apple MP3 Player Info

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
streamline
Slight Overbomber

Evening All,

I am going away next week for my brothers wedding in Grenada and do not want to speak too much to various family members (!).

I would like to buy a non-apple MP3 player that will let me drag and drop folders so I can easily choose which folder to listen to.

Can anyone help? :D
I find it all a bit of a minefield!

I trust you trust in me to mistrust you
EvilBastard
Overbomber

When you say drag-n-drop, do you mean from the computer to the MP3 player or on the player itself?

I swear by iRiver's gear - I've had one of their 40gb jukeboxes for 5 years and haven't ever had a problem with it. Holds its charge well, seamless compatibility with WinDoze, the computer recognises it as just another hard drive and you can organize your stuff any way you like. Will do MP3s, WAVs, WMAs, OggVobis, and is firmware upgradable. The E series looks like it might be just the ticket for your needs.

This is the only MP3 I can really talk about as I don't have experience with others, but I love the one I've got.
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

don't have mp3 -player but my thought was the same - iRiver, heard only good words about that.
streamline
Slight Overbomber

I've been looking at the iRiver - looks good!

Anyone had a Sony?

mh
Above the Chemist

I've a Sony. The battery life is fantastic (40 hours), but there are a few things to watch out for:

* By default, they come with a sound presuure level limiting feature turned on. There's a hack available to switch this off, and once you do that, the sound is very good.

* Sonicstage (playlist management software) is the only software that will work with it. I don't know if they still use it, but it's a very mixed bag. Some people utterly loathe and detest it, I've never had a problem as the way it works seems to chime nicely with the way I like to do things.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
streamline
Slight Overbomber

Hmmmmm - tis a minefield!

It looks like an iRiver E100 (expandable SD memory and external speakers for work have swung it!).

£63 from Amazon.

Thanks for all your help, I can now spend all day at work tomorrow looking online!!!

Thanks again guys - really appreciate it :D

paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

if it's not too late, i love my samsung k5. i take it everywhere with me

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=Dto-57_yyWo

http://www.everythingusb.com/samsung_yp ... 12349.html 8)
Goths have feelings too
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

I have a ZEN....not bad but not that great either.
"as we walk on the floodland"
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Don't get a Sony, a mate has one and hates it.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

;D

Lets you play AND record MP3's (and stereo WAV) ;)

Price approx 200 euro.

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

Hehe - i was thinking about purchasing a H2 for taping in 24bit/96khz but many tapers aren't happy because the "line/mic in" is too sensitive and doesn't work well with many mic/bbox combos without clipping.

If you buy a MP3 player you should take care that it can be used like a standard usb mass storage device WITHOUT any extra software. One day a friend of mine asked me to load some music from my PC on his iFuck thingy. Well, there was no way to do it without installing iTunes, so he finally got nothing because I've failed to see the need to install any software just for moving some files :urff:
EvilBastard
Overbomber

My iRiver accepts a powered stereo microphone input. I'm thinking about perhaps taking it to the New York gig (just to show you guys how cool it is, not for any other purpose, no no no). I just need to find somewhere near the front to stand, perhaps shielded by fairly tall European stripy-socked HLers..?
Hank Moody
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

yeah, these iRivers can be rock-solid boxes :innocent: :lol:
Andrew S
Slight Overbomber

EvilBastard wrote:My iRiver accepts a powered stereo microphone input. I'm thinking about perhaps taking it to the New York gig (just to show you guys how cool it is, not for any other purpose, no no no).
I think I've got the same model as you (ihp-140) and was thinking of doing the same a couple of years ago. But compared to the minidisc players I've seen, it's like a brick and I couldn't think of anywhere to hide it.
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Andrew S wrote:I think I've got the same model as you (ihp-140) and was thinking of doing the same a couple of years ago. But compared to the minidisc players I've seen, it's like a brick and I couldn't think of anywhere to hide it.
The very same - but given that they didn't search us at the Silver Bullet gig, and I'm thinking it would be easy enough slipped down a boot or similar, it might be do-able...
Hank Moody
Izzy HaveMercy

DocSommer wrote:Hehe - i was thinking about purchasing a H2 for taping in 24bit/96khz but many tapers aren't happy because the "line/mic in" is too sensitive and doesn't work well with many mic/bbox combos without clipping.
Never had any issue with that :eek: You have three sensitivity settings for the internal mic, PLUS you can adjust the recording level pre recording...

I had some LOUD field recordings (trucks, trains, heavy industry) and I never had clipping. Of course, I took care of the level adjustements as stated before.

No, VERY happy with this little thingy, and don't they look absolutely ADORABLE with their little hats on? ;D

IZ.
Andrew S
Slight Overbomber

EvilBastard wrote:The very same - but given that they didn't search us at the Silver Bullet gig, and I'm thinking it would be easy enough slipped down a boot or similar, it might be do-able...
Pot luck really. Security was very rigorous at San Diego and LA, where they made us empty everything from our pockets into plates for inspection before giving us a thorough touch-up! Mnd you, they were both House of Blues... What about an extra large athletic supporter? :lol:
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:
DocSommer wrote:Hehe - i was thinking about purchasing a H2 for taping in 24bit/96khz but many tapers aren't happy because the "line/mic in" is too sensitive and doesn't work well with many mic/bbox combos without clipping.
Never had any issue with that :eek: You have three sensitivity settings for the internal mic, PLUS you can adjust the recording level pre recording...

I had some LOUD field recordings (trucks, trains, heavy industry) and I never had clipping. Of course, I took care of the level adjustements as stated before.

No, VERY happy with this little thingy, and don't they look absolutely ADORABLE with their little hats on? ;D

IZ.
LOL - sweet^^

What I've read wasn't referring to the internal mics. That clipping issue appears to only concern the input for external gears.
Izzy HaveMercy

Ah, could be. The whole point for a fieldrecorder was portability for me. That's why I didn't buy the ZOOM H4, which is rather bulky.

The Zoom H2 'as is' works just a treat for me, and the internal mics are surprisingly good IMO, so I don't see the need for external mics.

(oh, and did you notice it's tapping its little plastic feet on the picture as well? ^^)

IZ.