a little help needed

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
nodubmanshouts
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Quantum theory is not so much a law of physics, its a set of approximations and probabilities which work very, very well in certain situations, and appallingly in others.

If you think me a fool to believe so, then I am happy to join Einstein in that club.

Quantum theory has been superseded by M-theory for over a decade, in which there's 11 dimensions, not the 4 you mention. Its not 1970 anymore.

Next...
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

:lol: yeah, right. When Einstein said "God doesn't play dice with the Universe" he was wrong.

If m-theory actually made any predictions that could be tested, it might qualify as science. But it doesn't, so all it is is speculation at this point.

And if you've found some experimental evidence to challenge quantum theory, I think the Nobel committee might like a word.

*Edit: By the way: the 'fool' crack was out of order. I apologise.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
nodubmanshouts

I disagree. Just because the universe appears chaotic, does not mean it is, and just because you cannot measure a system, does not mean its not ordered.

Still, even if you believe in quantum theory as a law, doesn't it still rely on long term conservation of mass/energy? Which is cause-and-effect re-written?
mh
Above the Chemist

nodubmanshouts wrote:Useful, yes. As in: a beer glass is useful, but only if you have beer to put in it.
You have the glass and the bottle of beer, the bottle of beer and the glass. Just like that, just like that.

;D ;D ;D

Sorry, couldn't resist...
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
mh
Above the Chemist

nodubmanshouts wrote:Quantum theory is not so much a law of physics, its a set of approximations and probabilities which work very, very well in certain situations, and appallingly in others.
That's pretty much the case for all of our laws and theories of everything, isn't it? Even basic Euclidean stuff breaks once you realise that surfaces aren't actually flat.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
nodubmanshouts

Well, Euclidean geometry is purely mathematical so it always works in that context (its flat-world domain). But yeah, when you put it in a physical context, it doesn't work so well.
more-sedatives-pls
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Holy Shmoly, what have you guys been eating?

I was merely making an analogy using rhetorical questions, and now there's quantum particles flying by! :roll:

knowledge <---- things that happened before [either 1 sec ago or 3000 years ago, 'internalized' either through listening, watching, smelling, tasting or feeling; the passing of knowlegde via teaching is also, in theory, an 'experience'].

In that sense, History is important because the knowledge we have today stems from what people did/thought/experienced in the past.

Lots of other things are important too, like going to the loo from time to time before stuff runs over your socks; but that is a whole other debate.
Immodium for the people
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

:lol: it has been even more of a derail than the usual Heartland effect.

I hasten to point out that it's all done with love of course. Even if I'm snarking at people I don't hold anyone any animosity. 8)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
nodubmanshouts

He, no worries.

Yes, history is very important. It just becomes a lot more useful with a context. I don't think you'll find any degree (computing, medicine, law, etc) which doesn't go into some depth about the subject's history... and as well it should.
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

I still believe in the L-space theory and naught else.

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
more-sedatives-pls
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:I still believe in the L-space theory and naught else.

IZ.
As it happens I recently applied that same theory to my living room re-arrangement, and, I must say, that L-space sure is doin' it for me too -- especially the L-shaped sofa is a direct hit. :kiss:
Immodium for the people
sziamiau
Slight Overbomber

derailed a bit my friends? :lol:

update: have applied for some positions, although I try not get my hopes up much. I am still open for any suggestions :notworthy: