Atlanta pre-gig thread!

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the 2008/2009 Sisters tour, including the Autumn/Winter 2008 U.S. and European 2009 legs.
Andrei
Road Kill

Who's all rockin' the ATL this year? ...And it's in LITTLE 5 POINTS no less. Fuckin' amazing...
Road Kill

I'll be there. Just bought tickets.
If this is heaven I'm bailin' out.
kafka
Amphetamine Filth

Maya and I will be there, too. Who's up for a pre-gig pint in L5?
[repeat x40]
Road Kill

Yeah, I'm interested. What time, where?
Garbageman
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Any decent pubs in the area that are close to the venue?
Like pushing a marsmallow into a piggy bank
Road Kill

I think the 9 lives saloon is o.k., but i haven't been there in ages. It's near Wax and Facts and Criminal Records, which are my favorite part of LFP. Here's a link to a map of the area stores if anyone more decisive than me wants to pick something:

http://www.l5p.com/areamap.html
kafka
Amphetamine Filth

the corner tavern is okay (if a little anonymous); there's also the brewhouse, or the vortex (especially if anyone wants food)... 9 lives would work, too. Or there's 97 Estoria up the road (a little further out), which is a good joint. (Can you tell I live sorta nearby?) Anyhow, any of the above would work for me...
[repeat x40]
Garbageman

So far, only 170 tickets are sold and the venue holds 750....come on people!!!
Andrei
Road Kill

There is a nice little Turkish restaurant right next door to the venue, my sister and some friends and I be there eating some kebabs and smoking hookah/nargile before going to the show... if you want to join us, I'll be the young guy probably in a Skinny Puppy or Elizabeth Bathory t-shirt. Or something appropriate.

Also, 9 Lives Saloon doesn't exist anymore. Criminal Records has moved into the L5P center square. The best bet for good bars in Little Five Points are the Corner Tavern, the new beer house, and of course The Vortex!

In terms of food, check out Ali Baba's (where I'll be), Little 5 Pizza, The Vortex, and the two little Indian restaurants. Any way you go, it's a wonderful place and I love living nearby.
kafka
Amphetamine Filth

Anything decent at Ali Baba's in the way of veggie food? Falafel?

I'm up for a pint at the corner tavern if anyone fancies meeting up.
[repeat x40]
Garbageman

Heading to Vortex for first time before gig with a couple of Sisters virgins...hey,there is a first time for everything!!!!
Will have a CULT hoodie on,small English guy,crew cut and big ears!!!
Just say hi
Andrei
Road Kill

The falafel at Ali Baba's is marvelous. Best in town bar-none.
flugabwehrkanone
Road Kill

I'm seriously considering coming to this show from Raleigh, especially since my trip to see them in Richmond left me not fully satisfied. I can get a decent price on airfare which should let me fly down and go back early the next morning and without missing work.

Does anyone have an idea about what it would run me in cab fare to Little Five Points from the airport? Also, are they pretty strict about staying overnight at the Atlanta airport? I'd probably just scoot back to the airport after the show and try to catch some shuteye in the terminal before flying back at 5:30. Is that feasible? I don't really want to spend the dough on a motel room for just a couple of hours.

And I'll definitely check out that falafel place. It's always nice to know where the good vegetarian food is.

EDIT: Ok, got my plane tickets, and I think I can take the MARTA from the airport to the station closest the venue for a couple of bucks, which is nice. I'll still have to catch a cab back to the airport, but hopefully that won't be too bad.

I'm going to assume that this won't sell out and that I can just stop by the venue when I get in that afternoon to get my ticket. Anyone that live in the area have any better read on how many tickets have been sold? I saw the 170 out of 750 above but didn't know if that had risen dramatically in recent days.
Road Kill

I'll hopefully meet some of you at Ali Baba's or whatever it's called. I'll probably be in a group of 4 or 5, most of us pretty youngish (20-25). I'll be the one in a black Navy jacket, red dyed hair, and written-all-over Converse All-Stars. Hope to see you guys there!
Road Kill

flugabwehrkanone wrote:I'm seriously considering coming to this show from Raleigh, especially since my trip to see them in Richmond left me not fully satisfied. I can get a decent price on airfare which should let me fly down and go back early the next morning and without missing work.

Does anyone have an idea about what it would run me in cab fare to Little Five Points from the airport? Also, are they pretty strict about staying overnight at the Atlanta airport? I'd probably just scoot back to the airport after the show and try to catch some shuteye in the terminal before flying back at 5:30. Is that feasible? I don't really want to spend the dough on a motel room for just a couple of hours.

And I'll definitely check out that falafel place. It's always nice to know where the good vegetarian food is.

EDIT: Ok, got my plane tickets, and I think I can take the MARTA from the airport to the station closest the venue for a couple of bucks, which is nice. I'll still have to catch a cab back to the airport, but hopefully that won't be too bad.

I'm going to assume that this won't sell out and that I can just stop by the venue when I get in that afternoon to get my ticket. Anyone that live in the area have any better read on how many tickets have been sold? I saw the 170 out of 750 above but didn't know if that had risen dramatically in recent days.
Also, if you can find me before the show, I just might possibly have an extra ticket I have no use for. I'm waiting for a friend to get back in touch with me, but if she wasn't able to get off of work, you are welcome to it.
thestudio1985
Road Kill

in town on business this week so was very thrilled to see news of the gig tomorrow. Picked up a ticket today, will be on my tod at the venue.
flugabwehrkanone
Road Kill

8.5 wrote:Also, if you can find me before the show, I just might possibly have an extra ticket I have no use for. I'm waiting for a friend to get back in touch with me, but if she wasn't able to get off of work, you are welcome to it.
Awesome, thank you very much. I won't be leaving here until one-ish tomorrow so if you happen to hear back before then, I'll check this thread before I leave. If not I'll try to catch up with you tomorrow before the show.

EDIT: I'll be wearing tan pants, an orange "ditch witch" shirt and if it's cold out I'll be wearing a blue fleece jacket.
Last edited by flugabwehrkanone on 11 Nov 2008, 18:01, edited 1 time in total.
Garbageman

Only 190 sold as of 6pm tonight
thestudio1985
Road Kill

Garbageman wrote:So far, only 170 tickets are sold and the venue holds 750....come on people!!!
What is the venue like? ground level only? balcony? decent stage? etc.
Brad

Which is such a fricking joke.

They could easily come to Winnipeg and sell out a 2000 seat venue.
kafka
Amphetamine Filth

For anyone who hasn't yet headed out, Maya and I are going to the vortex first and then on to the gig. I'll be wearing either a very non-goth green/lilac sweater or, if I get too warm, my "aaaargyle" t-shirt. (Skulls & crossbones in an argyle pattern.) Say hello!

Cheerio,
George
[repeat x40]
Garbageman

It was great meeting a few of you Heartlanders last night at the show.
First of all,Hypernova,great set and sound much better than The Warlocks and Tube!!!
The Girls played a wonderful set-great smoke and lights-no suprises,but still a great tight set.
All the usual favorites-Suzanne,Vision Thing,Summer,Alice and all the rest,played in a shimmering,wonderful noise.
Stunning!!!