Richmond, The National on 7 November 2008 (pre-gig)

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the 2008/2009 Sisters tour, including the Autumn/Winter 2008 U.S. and European 2009 legs.
bismarck
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I won't make this one. It's been great hanging out with you folks, Eva, Eggi_1 ( :wink: ), Petseri, Sinsissie, Evil Bastardo, Paula + Cheri, and all the other heartländers. Eggi_1 + Eva, Caroline and I may make it to a few of the Europe dates next year as I may be over that direction for family and work reasons. I'l l let you know.

PS: I put Vision Thing from NYC in the "Audio from 2008 Tour" thread. Sounds pretty good. Working on New Haven.

To all: Have a great night! And setlists/reviews as early as possible please.

:kiss: Bismarck AKA Trev
The great questions of the day will not be
resolved by speeches and majority decisions,
but by iron and blood.
- Otto von Bismarck
Eva
Intercontinental Assassin

Hey Trevor, that's great news! Would be wonderful meeting Caroline and you for some European Sisters gigs. :D
You can't fix stupid.
Petseri
Overbomber

bismarck wrote:I won't make this one.
That is too bad.

I will be heading out in about an hour to head to the gig, so if anyone needs to get in touch with me, the clock is ticking.
James Blast
Banned

I await your latest (spellchecked) epic Mr. G :lol:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Petseri
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:I await your latest (spellchecked) epic Mr. G :lol:
I have been working on one for the New York gig. That was four days ago, so imagine how many random thought I have compiled thus far. :lol:
James Blast
Banned

I prophesy disaster

and I owe you a / from my previous post, you're infectious ye ken :lol:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
bismarck

Eva + Eggi_1( :wink: ):

I put This Corrosion from New Haven in the New Haven thread as a download if you want to check it out....

http://sharebee.com/b257178e

I managed to finalize the disc this time!

Hope you can download it and enjoy it!
Petseri wrote:I have been working on one for the New York gig. That was four days ago, so imagine how many random thought I have compiled thus far. :lol:
I'm psyched for your detailed review! I wrote something about Philly and New York as well, perhaps I'll post it in the relevant threads tonight when I get home.

Trev
but by iron and blood.
- Otto von Bismarck
Petseri
Overbomber

I am off. There is a decent list in the first post noting who will be there. :notworthy: See you guys at the venue. I will be wearing a Heartland shirt in case anyone wants to mingle. No, it has not been washed yet this week. :innocent:
bismarck

Petseri wrote: This image shows the area.

Wow, the venue looks amazing. Makes me wish I was going...
but by iron and blood.
- Otto von Bismarck
Husek

setlist?
Project Personal Dok
Hardware: 100% (Single Hackintosh)
AU: 90%
Software: 90%
The Final Floorshow - My Own Sisters T-Shirt Shop
Brad

Wait for the show to start!
Rat_Bastard
Road Kill

bismarck wrote: Wow, the venue looks amazing. Makes me wish I was going...
The National is probably one of the best venues that I have ever been to. My band played there a few months ago. The acoustics are great. The staff is very accomodating. The backstage area is a massive labyrinth of assorted lounges (including one with hot tubs) and bars.

Von might not be too happy about it being a 'no-smoking' venue, however.
James Blast
Banned

so Amerikan
~ Peter Steele
bismarck

James Blast wrote:so Amerikan
Amerikkkan
but by iron and blood.
- Otto von Bismarck
James Blast
Banned

thankk you ;D
~ Peter Steele
sunshine
Road Kill

Rat_Bastard wrote: Von might not be too happy about it being a 'no-smoking' venue, however.
Quite the opposite, maybe? ;)
WhatWouldAndrewDo?
Road Kill

Well, that was the worst Sisters show I have ever seen.
bismarck

WhatWouldAndrewDo? wrote:Well, that was the worst Sisters show I have ever seen.
out of curiosity, which others have you seen?
but by iron and blood.
- Otto von Bismarck
WhatWouldAndrewDo?
Road Kill

Hmm...Philadelphia 1997, Philadelphia and DC 1999, DC 2006, and I think one other time in DC too.

They played for less than an hour, and the vocals could barely be heard. The show stopped abruptly with an announcement that "the fire marshal has stopped the show", but I'm not sure that I buy that.
Nicole
Amphetamine Filth

WhatWouldAndrewDo? wrote:Hmm...Philadelphia 1997, Philadelphia and DC 1999, DC 2006, and I think one other time in DC too.

They played for less than an hour, and the vocals could barely be heard. The show stopped abruptly with an announcement that "the fire marshal has stopped the show", but I'm not sure that I buy that.
There's more discussion of the show ending early in the the South has fallen again (Richmond 2008) thread. On the last page there is a message from what appears to be (from my guess) someone from the venue explaining. Apparently Andy's vocals are getting softer as the tour goes on also - the recording from Buffalo and the one song I've heard from New York and New Haven, they still sound strong. There's discussion of that as well in the other threads on shows that have already happened.

From what I've heard though, the band is better this time around than they were in 2006. Shame about the show being cut early though, I'd be upset too, especially since my tickets weren't cheap with all the dang fees, a trip to the city is expensive for us (not to mention taking the day off of work to make the drive and get there in time) - just getting out of town for a show is always an event.
...with the wind in our face and our arms open wide...
Rat_Bastard
Road Kill

WhatWouldAndrewDo? wrote: They played for less than an hour, and the vocals could barely be heard. The show stopped abruptly with an announcement that "the fire marshal has stopped the show", but I'm not sure that I buy that.
I thought that the overall volume could have stood to go up just a tad.

The vocal volume did seem to get a little better later in the show.

Several people I know did notice that the fire alarms were going off during the show, having been set off by the fog machines. According to one of the venue staff, the fire alarm got set off during soundcheck as well, so the band were advised not to use as much fog.

The National is a rather old building, and the current owners are extremely paranoid about fires and such, as they haven't gotten the building paid off yet (the venue has only been open about a year), so the fire alarm equipment that they have seems to be unusually sensitive.
WhatWouldAndrewDo?
Road Kill

Thanks for the link, I'm not sure how I missed that.

Another thing is that I could barely even SEE Eldritch. Besides all the smoke, I think he was actually only under a light once or twice.
WhatWouldAndrewDo?
Road Kill

And yeah, I noticed also that the fire alarms were going off during the show (it was very noticeable in the bathroom).
sunshine
Road Kill

WhatWouldAndrewDo? wrote:And yeah, I noticed also that the fire alarms were going off during the show (it was very noticeable in the bathroom).
You were sitting in the bathroom during the show?! :lol: Then it's no surprise that you could barely see Eldritch!
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

sunshine wrote:
WhatWouldAndrewDo? wrote:And yeah, I noticed also that the fire alarms were going off during the show (it was very noticeable in the bathroom).
You were sitting in the bathroom during the show?! :lol: Then it's no surprise that you could barely see Eldritch!
:lol: :notworthy: :lol:
"as we walk on the floodland"