What if...

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
DancingtheGhost
Road Kill

@DrG...love that idea!

@Michael....I recall reading an interview that Von did several years ago in which he stated he had actually bought stock in time-warner. If that's true, then technically, as a stock holder, he does still "own" his material. Of course, I'm probably totally off base on that theory, since I don't know the first thing about owning stocks :lol:

On another note, if he could form his own label in the beginning, he could do it again and at least know he has a solid fan base that will buy!
I bled all I can, I won't bleed no more
DrG
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I believe Michael may by correct in that
:von: has no rights puplishing anything from Damage Done till Under The Gun ´cause all belongs his friends at Time-Warner.
Also, no label will give him the money he wants. :(

Oh well... will I dream... :lol:
wah-hoo
let's do the war on drugs

Trip the light fantastic
DancingtheGhost
Road Kill

Perhaps it's time to revive the Merciful Release label and go the indie route once again. Take the profits from the US leg of the tour and finance it himself. I'm sure he's not a pauper!
I bled all I can, I won't bleed no more
Prescott
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I told the Merch man Kenny that I blamed Adam for no new album. He said "He's not the guy to blame."

I guess Andy doesn't want to for some reason. I didn't want to ask him but when I told him that if he did "bang a new one out I'd buy 20,000 copies" to which he simply said "well, I might have to take you up on that!"

Sorry I was too starstruck to go any further with the subject guys.
"... because we're that kind of people."
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

DrG wrote:I believe Michael may by correct in that
:von: has no rights puplishing anything from Damage Done till Under The Gun ´cause all belongs his friends at Time-Warner.

He wouldn't own the old recordings (unless he's bought the rights to them from the labels that finbanced them in the first place) but he still owns the copyright on his own songs. Publishers just have publishing rights and may administer performance rights for others but the original writers still own the copyright (Von would never sell his copyright) and therefore have the right to perform and record their own songs any time they want.
michael
Road Kill

stufarq wrote:
DrG wrote:I believe Michael may by correct in that

He wouldn't own the old recordings (unless he's bought the rights to them from the labels that finbanced them in the first place) but he still owns the copyright on his own songs. Publishers just have publishing rights and may administer performance rights for others but the original writers still own the copyright (Von would never sell his copyright) and therefore have the right to perform and record their own songs any time they want.
I don´t know , but i think if :von: own all his copyrights we never got
the Rhino Releases but perhaps something like DrG mentioned :

their live set .... nice , clean and clear
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

No, there's a difference between owning the copyright on the songs and owning the recordings.

The writer of a song owns the copyright, meaning that they can perform and record it as often as they like and anyone else has to ask their permission to record it. (Someone else performing it live is slightly different but that's another story.)

However, making a recording in a studio is usually expensive (unless you own your own studio), so the recordings are usually financed by the record labels, who then own those recordings. They can then do whatever they want with those specific recordings but that's all they own. They don't own the actual songs and the writers are free to perform and rerecord them or give others permission to record them as they choose. But the writers and performers usually have no ownership of the individual recordings unless they financed them or recorded them in their home studios without record company funding.

So (phew!) the Rhino releases happened because Von doesn't own those particular recordings and can't stop the record company rereleasing them of licencing someone else to rerelease them. But he can make completely new recordings of those songs if he wants to.

But yes, he's already said that he won't make any recordings until someone pays him a ridiculous amount of money.

Hope that's clear!
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
il duce
Amphetamine Filth

The way I see it, there is only one way that a new album would make sense. Since there are no "new" songs anymore, and most of the songs allready have 10 years on them this is how I see it:

New album - 10 new songs that know one has heard (well hopefully Ben and Chris)

New album Limited Edition 2 cd - 10 new songs, extra cd with studio versions of all the new songs we have seen live a hundred times.

And yeah I know that Guns'n Roses will actually release a follow-up to Chinease Democracy before this happens and the original line-up of Pink Floyd will do a world tour with Led Zeppelin.
But still, this is the only fair way.

Over and out.
And any fool knows a dog needs a home
A shelter from pigs on the wing
Bertran De Born
Amphetamine Filth

Hello there,

Am I the only one amazed by these posts?
The sisters last album is something like 17 years old. Since then, he wrote something like....10 songs right?
So i think the main reason why there shall never be a nexty album is mainly due to the fact that the river seems to run pretty dry these days.
And please please, no "re recording" of classic. That sounds like one of mum's band who spends years doing farewell tours.
You guys really want to hear a new studio recording of anaconda the way it's currently played live?
That's one of the good things with Von. He stopped before the wall, and has one of the most influential catalogue.
Some years ago ( I would say 5 to 7), I used to work in a record company (founded by a weird chap name Branson) and I remember recieving a request from the German office asking us what our sales on a potential new SOM album would be.
They gathered the number from all the companies I guess, and then probably realised they would never ever recoup the advance asked by the band's legal rep.When I asked what the follow up was like ( can you picture this, working on a new SOM album???????), I was answered the lawyers of the band stopped the discussions.....
Well, never mind , we all still will be buying at least 2 tix for the tour. Much more financially viable for the band ,and avoiding the danger of damaging the profile of the band by releasing new stuff.

In addition to the discussions on the differences between the publishing rights and the master rights of any recorded music, I shall add that the master rights (aka the producer rights, Warner in our example) are also covered by an exclusivity period during which the artist can not record these tracks in a new version for another producer. This usually is 18 months long. So I guess this shall fulfill the dreams of the guys who want to hear the "ol time classic with the new sound".
Could someone bother ask Led Zep to record Kashmir with an electro beat please?
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Headingly wrote:, even a completely blank CD most of us would buy it anyway. :roll:
Bartek wrote: but only god can listen it.
do you mean the blank disc isn't blank at all, but just recorded at a frequency that only dogs can hear? :innocent:

what if we painted all the black things white and all the white things black and took a photo and looked at the negatives? :roll:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

personally, i hate FALAA with the wrong riff, despise the way the riff to on the wire is played (incorrectly) and sounds more like gimme shelter, and think if you're going to do teachers (and why not?) it should be done how god intended: all of it and segued into -and thus provide an excuse to ressurect- adrenochrome. my two penn'orth. :von:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Burzum wrote:Some years ago ( I would say 5 to 7), I used to work in a record company (founded by a weird chap name Branson) and I remember recieving a request from the German office asking us what our sales on a potential new SOM album would be.
They gathered the number from all the companies I guess, and then probably realised they would never ever recoup the advance asked by the band's legal rep.When I asked what the follow up was like ( can you picture this, working on a new SOM album???????), I was answered the lawyers of the band stopped the discussions.....
Now that's interesting. Not particularly surprising, sad to say, but interesting nonetheless.
Burzum wrote:In addition to the discussions on the differences between the publishing rights and the master rights of any recorded music, I shall add that the master rights (aka the producer rights, Warner in our example) are also covered by an exclusivity period during which the artist can not record these tracks in a new version for another producer. This usually is 18 months long.
Good point.
michael
Road Kill

Burzum wrote:Hello there,

Am I the only one amazed by these posts?
The sisters last album is something like 17 years old. Since then, he wrote something like....10 songs right?
So i think the main reason why there shall never be a nexty album is mainly due to the fact that the river seems to run pretty dry these days.
And please please, no "re recording" of classic. That sounds like one of mum's band who spends years doing farewell tours.
You guys really want to hear a new studio recording of anaconda the way it's currently played live?
Yes :notworthy:
nice , clean and clear !