Atlanta Nov 11 - Post-gig thread

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the 2008/2009 Sisters tour, including the Autumn/Winter 2008 U.S. and European 2009 legs.
_emma_
Overbomber

:lol:
Well, may I spill some of my hatred too, then? :D
About the Sisters gigs being too quiet according to some people, I have 3 questions:
1. Do you really like the feeling of your ears ringing, and the feeling of not being able to hear properly for many hours after a gig? If you really like it, there are many other bands who can give you that.
2. Do you really think that the fact that you can hear audience conversations during a Sisters gig is the band's or their soundman's fault, rather than the fault of the audience who choose to converse during a gig?
3. Do you also judge the quality of your love life by the size of your reproductive organs?
:)
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

itnAklipse wrote:Nothing's changed. i still hate people and their attitude towards life.
f**k off then :roll:
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Nicole
Amphetamine Filth

dinky daisy wrote:
jesus, this is no-nonsense 8bit rock n roll. It is fun and future wrapped in chrome. It is drugs with a cruel taste. It is an ideal crash in a rented car from Panama. His voice is sexy. The guitars are loud.
:eek: Wow - that description is incredible - the imagery is spot on. I've only seen them once so far, and though I wouldn't describe that show quite this way, it's a great description of what their music is at times. Here's hoping the gig will turn out this way. :von:

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
...with the wind in our face and our arms open wide...
Eva
Intercontinental Assassin

_emma_ wrote:2. Do you really think that the fact that you can hear audience conversations during a Sisters gig is the band's or their soundman's fault, rather than the fault of the audience who choose to converse during a gig?
I must say that at some gigs there were a lot of annoying conversations during the show. One might have thought there were a lot of people who weren't actually interested in the band but just didn't have anything better to do that particular evening. Why such people stand in the second row though instead of hanging at the bar is beyond me. :evil:
_emma_ wrote:3. Do you also judge the quality of your love life by the size of your reproductive organs?
:)
:lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy:
You can't fix stupid.
James Blast
Banned

itnAklipse wrote:God, i love life. And i love everything.
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

Nicole wrote: :eek: Wow - that description is incredible - the imagery is spot on.
It is, in fact, so brilliant I immediately stole it ;)
Who can begin conventional amiability the first thing in the morning?
It is the hour of savage instincts and natural tendencies.
--Elizabeth von Arnim
dinky daisy
Slight Overbomber

7anthea7 wrote:
Nicole wrote: :eek: Wow - that description is incredible - the imagery is spot on.
It is, in fact, so brilliant I immediately stole it ;)
I should work in marketing, huh.
guns & cars & accidents
DancingtheGhost
Road Kill

@dinky daisy....extremely well said! :notworthy: Also, your use of imagery is great.

Just some random thoughts....any band can have an off night. Performers tend to feed off the energy of the audience, so if the crowd is not showing interest, it can affect the performance. (kinda like sex). What is bad to one person can be great to another...don't let people's negative reviews keep you away from a show. A TSOM gig is always bigger than the music. If the person behind you insists on carrying on a conversation while the band is playing, a well placed knee or elbow to the groin should shut them up for a while. :) Perhaps the reason some people can't "hear the band", is due to loss of hearing on their part? Last, but not least, true fans will continue to support :von: & the rest of the gang, no matter what. Of course, these are just my opinions & need not be taken seriously!
I bled all I can, I won't bleed no more
Road Kill

SINsister wrote:
8.5 wrote:After the gig I saw the bassist from Hypernova leaving with this incredibly annoying 30+ girl and I was very saddened.
Why?
Hearing her talk through the whole show made me wish that something would crush her. Also, she explained to a guy from brooklyn who was of iranian descent (i think) all about american laws and culture. I wanted bad things to happen to her, not good things.

Edit: Also, as far as the noise level goes, I should add that upfront, the "clang" sound of ben's guitar strings (which you get from an unplugged guitar) seemed (at several points) louder than his amplifier. I don't know about at different points in the venue, but if someone at almost-center-stage can hear string-noise, whoever does the sound has made a mistake. For most of the beginning it seemed like if I talked I would drown out most of the band.
If this is heaven I'm bailin' out.
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

8.5 wrote:Hearing her talk through the whole show made me wish that something would crush her. Also, she explained to a guy from brooklyn who was of iranian descent (i think) all about american laws and culture. I wanted bad things to happen to her, not good things.
Ahhhh. :urff:
So her age was irrelevant, then, innit? ;)
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

SINsister wrote:Ahhhh. :urff:
So her age was irrelevant, then, innit? ;)
I should hope so :twisted:

(So says she who is closer to Von's age than to that of most of the rest of you...)

It has been my experience that those most guilty of yakking through live performances are in the UNDER-30 category - the world is their YouTube, y'know? And never mind that it's rude to fellow audience members (although that can't be discounted) - you're dissing the performers. I've spent enough time on the receiving end of that myself. If you can't be bothered to pay attention, then stay at the bar.

But then too I am a firm believer in the elbow-punch-to-the-gut, steeltoe-stomp-to-the-instep deterrents, if a polite "shut the f**k up" doesn't do the trick ;)
--Elizabeth von Arnim
Kommandok
Road Kill

Now now..no fighting in "Seat-Hell"...
You DO want :von: and crew to come back sometime, don't you?
Is the show sold out yet?
I'm likely gonna miss it..I'm at sea.
At least I won't get "damned" by some old goth hag for buying the last XL shirt..like last time.
Ouch..that was rough! :twisted:
Do I drive?
Or am I driven?
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

Kommandok wrote:Now now..no fighting in "Seat-Hell"...
You DO want :von: and crew to come back sometime, don't you?
I always stay under the radar - no one can ever be sure where that stray appendage came from ;)
Is the show sold out yet?
I'm guessing we must be speaking of Seattle, even though this is the Atlanta thread. And the answer is "no", as far as I can tell. There seems to have been a general lack of publicity. But there wasn't much last time, either, and people still got there.
I'm likely gonna miss it..I'm at sea.
As are we all, at times...but I gather you mean that literally.
At least I won't get "damned" by some old goth hag for buying the last XL shirt..like last time.
Ouch..that was rough! :twisted:
Ewww!!! I so did not need that image in my head! :urff:

They were so much easier to tolerate when they were at least all skinny...
--Elizabeth von Arnim
Kommandok
Road Kill

Lol!
I'm sure The Stranger will have some lame-ass review of the show..or Seattle Weekly.
Or that other rag..The Seattle Sinner?
No press, huh?
Too bad..
Perhaps :von: will authorize a street team someday.
Do I drive?
Or am I driven?
Ghostrider
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

sisters gigs.. low sound, much smoke..
well.. you all shouldn't complain as you have known this for over 25 years by now.. they said it themselves:
The signals clash
And disappear
The shade too loud
And the sound unclear

For the

High tide
Wide eyed
Dread in monochrome
Denied in spite
Disliked in monochrome
Panic in their eyes
Rise
Dead and monochrome
The Sisters of Mercy
Spite
On adrenochrome
that verse describes what the sisters are to me..
or as equally as good as Dinky Daisy said it..
this is no-nonsense 8bit rock n roll. It is fun and future wrapped in chrome. It is drugs with a cruel taste. It is an ideal crash in a rented car from Panama. His voice is sexy. The guitars are loud
it's good to see people who haven't seen them in a while go watch their show.. but some people might wanna listen instead of talking all gig.. it's enoying as f**k.. and :von: told it loads of times during "i was wrong", so for the band it's enoying aswell.. :evil:

the vibes they get from the audiance does a lot to them.. maybe that's why we always get kick ass gigs here in Belgium.. :roll: we treat them well.. they treat us well.. :wink: :lol:
i don't sleep, so i don't dream, so i don't wake up frightened...
everything is what it seems, if you look hard enough tonight and see...
Prescott
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Ghostrider wrote:sisters gigs.. low sound, much smoke..
well.. you all shouldn't complain as you have known this for over 25 years by now.. they said it themselves:
The signals clash
And disappear
The shade too loud
And the sound unclear

For the

High tide
Wide eyed
Dread in monochrome
Denied in spite
Disliked in monochrome
Panic in their eyes
Rise
Dead and monochrome
The Sisters of Mercy
Spite
On adrenochrome
this is no-nonsense 8bit rock n roll. It is fun and future wrapped in chrome. It is drugs with a cruel taste. It is an ideal crash in a rented car from Panama. His voice is sexy. The guitars are loud
it's good to see people who haven't seen them in a while go watch their show.. but some people might wanna listen instead of talking all gig.. it's enoying as f**k.. and :von: told it loads of times during "i was wrong", so for the band it's enoying aswell.. :evil:

the vibes they get from the audiance does a lot to them.. maybe that's why we always get kick ass gigs here in Belgium.. :roll: we treat them well.. they treat us well.. :wink: :lol:
I agree, there is definitely a give/take symbiotic relationship between :von: and the crowd, which he has mentioned in the past also.
"... because we're that kind of people."
Garbageman

Thanks Andrei, it was very nice to meet you and your sister.
The thing I have noticed with Mr Eldritch and his singing technique and the issue with moving his mouth and nothing coming out is that he is projecting passion in his voice and performance.
The crowd could have been better and larger but you know, they still played a blinding and tight set.
Like pushing a marsmallow into a piggy bank
GC
Slight Overbomber

Prescott wrote:
Ghostrider wrote:sisters gigs.. low sound, much smoke..
The signals clash
And disappear
The shade too loud
And the sound unclear

For the

High tide
Wide eyed
Dread in monochrome
Denied in spite
Disliked in monochrome
Panic in their eyes
Rise
Dead and monochrome
The Sisters of Mercy
Spite
On adrenochrome

I agree, there is definitely a give/take symbiotic relationship between :von: and the crowd, which he has mentioned in the past also.
Sorry, but that is bollocks. They should put on a good show, with at least good sound full stop. The relationship between band and public is secondary, ( a nice little extra). I'm curious, are there any more bands which get these constant bad reviews.
Ghostrider
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Gollum's Cock wrote:Sorry, but that is bollocks. They should put on a good show, with at least good sound full stop. The relationship between band and public is secondary, ( a nice little extra). I'm curious, are there any more bands which get these constant bad reviews.
stop seeing them than.. i'm sure you'll fit right in at the official Backstreet Boys forum ;)
i don't sleep, so i don't dream, so i don't wake up frightened...
everything is what it seems, if you look hard enough tonight and see...
Eva
Intercontinental Assassin

Gollum's Cock wrote:Sorry, but that is bollocks. They should put on a good show, with at least good sound full stop. The relationship between band and public is secondary, ( a nice little extra). I'm curious, are there any more bands which get these constant bad reviews.
They try to put on a good show each time. But they're no machines, and behind each of their machines there's a human being. And there's the venue, too. Besides, you totally underestimate the give-and-take aspect. Have you ever tried holding a speach in front of an unfriendly audience? Ask any teacher. It's not always their fault if the students keep chatting and spoiling the lesson.
You can't fix stupid.
lachert
Overbomber

sisters fans - brainwashed sect :lol: :wink:
long live rock'n'roll
robertzombie
Overbomber

aye
DrG

dinky daisy wrote, among other things:
It's the same story, every year: sometimes sisters suck hard, sometimes they ejaculate the right kind of energy.... Sisters bite the rotten bullet without teeth: i stop to care. in the end it's just machines. And i love it.
Exactly... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wanted to say something like that about their live sound, but you did it for me! :wink:

Also itnAklipse wrote about crowds:
Nothing's changed. i still hate people and their attitude towards life.
You crack me up Dei! :lol: :lol: :lol: :notworthy:

EDIT -- Sorry I missed this the first time here James Blast:
God, i love life. And i love everything.
Blasted! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :notworthy:
You guys and gals -- emma :wink: -- kill me! ;D
Last edited by DrG on 16 Nov 2008, 00:10, edited 1 time in total.
wah-hoo
let's do the war on drugs

Trip the light fantastic
GC
Slight Overbomber

Ghostrider wrote:
stop seeing them than.. i'm sure you'll fit right in at the official Backstreet Boys forum ;)
That's the annoying thing, s**t performance better than no performance. Although once every two years is quite enough for me now.
GC
Slight Overbomber

Eva wrote:
They try to put on a good show each time. But they're no machines, and behind each of their machines there's a human being. And there's the venue, too. Besides, you totally underestimate the give-and-take aspect. Have you ever tried holding a speach in front of an unfriendly audience? Ask any teacher. It's not always their fault if the students keep chatting and spoiling the lesson.
I agree completely, but.... it does kind of happen too often.