the younger twin: Minneapolis post-gig musings (18 Nov.)

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the 2008/2009 Sisters tour, including the Autumn/Winter 2008 U.S. and European 2009 legs.
Brad
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

By the way, who likes surprises...

http://www.thesistersofmercy.ca/

And it's not a cruel joke, it's all I got. :roll:
lachert
Overbomber

Methedrome wrote:By the way, who likes surprises...

21 seconds always better than nothing. nice lights :D
long live rock'n'roll
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

Methedrome wrote:...the crowd was packed and surprisingly into it from the start.
That's Minneapolis (and particularly First Ave) for ya :D

Condolences for the failure of your recording plans :(
Who can begin conventional amiability the first thing in the morning?
It is the hour of savage instincts and natural tendencies.
--Elizabeth von Arnim
DrG

il duce wrote:
Did anyone play bass in Floorshow?
Of course...Doktor Avalanche did! :wink:
In the 1993 tour when they played Floorshow a few times the good Doktor
provided the bass... except at the Crystal Palace Bowl on July 31st when
he decided not to do so! :lol:

I am still looking for a better version BTW. :wink:

Thanks for all the info regarding the show... despite few mishaps and disgruntled
opinions... the Sisters are rocking their way across America! :notworthy:
wah-hoo
let's do the war on drugs

Trip the light fantastic
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Methedrome wrote: - all the girly tops are sold out and so are the small new shirts.
According to Mr. X, the girly tour tops were already sold out in Chicago. :cry:
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

SINsister wrote:According to Mr. X, the girly tour tops were already sold out in Chicago. :cry:
Does 'someone' seriously not understand how many FEMALE fans they have??? :roll:
Who can begin conventional amiability the first thing in the morning?
It is the hour of savage instincts and natural tendencies.
--Elizabeth von Arnim
Nicole
Amphetamine Filth

7anthea7 wrote:
SINsister wrote:According to Mr. X, the girly tour tops were already sold out in Chicago. :cry:
Does 'someone' seriously not understand how many FEMALE fans they have??? :roll:
Apparently not...according to the merch guy I got the last two girly tour shirts in Chicago... :innocent: Didn't know the other girly shirts (UBG) were low too though, I also managed to get one of those.
...with the wind in our face and our arms open wide...
nearmethexperience
Sarky Git

Ok, finally had the time to get my thoughts together about the previous evening’s entertainment.

Rolled into Minneapolis early afternoon and hung out at the hotel for a while (best western about 7 blocks from the venue – nice hotel but over priced food).

Met Brad, Ryan, and Dan outside of First Avenue about 6.30 pmish in the barmy Minneapolis evening air (about 28F or so) and over the course of the next hour and a half met all kinds of the local wildlife ;)

When the venue opened we assumed the position up front and center and got ready for the show. Hypernova where actually very good, if they play anywhere in this neck of the woods again I would make the trek back across the state line. They sounded (to me anyway) a lot like Bauhaus with shades of the Southern Death Cult. (As a side note, Ben Christo made an appearance during the Hypernova set and stood next to my wife at the front of the stage, he is a super nice bloke!).

As Hypernova left the stage a large screen came down and we where treated to a very bad (so bad it was good!) kung fu movie, it had me from the moment some guy donated his arm to some other dude so he could go kick some other dudes ass! Also we heard the nurse ‘warming up’ which brought smiles to at least four faces I could see.

By the time the smoke started in earnest and the screen started rising the venue had filled up nicely and there was a pretty good buzz in the place, the night had the potential to be a stormer! Good to see a nice mix of faces in the crowd, from the ‘old guard’ all grown up with sensible jobs and matching sensible haircuts, to dodgy darklings, hippies, crusties, and beyond!

I won’t cover the entire set list as it has been covered before, but for me here are some of the highlights –

Ribbons – stonkin version!
Marian – great update.
Giving ground – WOW.
Phantom / Floorshow – amazing!!!
Vision thing – No more years!
Temple of love – Groove train.

For me, the entire show was blinding, not having seen the sisters live in 17 years, apart from youtube videos, I was unsure as to what to expect, but the band was in seriously fine form! Ben and Chris where electric, and Andy was the life and soul of the party, bouncing around the stage, playing with crowd in ways I never remember seeing him before.

My favorite noobie moment of the night – “haven’t they played this already?� – overheard somewhere behind us when Flood 2 started up….

Weird moment – some woman trying to start a ‘back rub’ chain at the front of the stage…

Crazy moment – some dude throwing a glass at a barmaid in the 8th st bar and grill signaling it was time to end the night and return to the hotel.

All in all a top night out, and good to meet Brad, Ryan, and Dan, all top blokes!

Shame about the bootleg not working out (although I’d still be interested in the Hypernova portion of the tape if you have it?) and if anyone can conjure up a recording of this gig I would be VERY interested in obtaining a copy…….
++++ All those of you who have tears, prepare to shed them now... ++++
paul
Overbomber

nice one! did you record the entire show?
Nicole
Amphetamine Filth

Whoa! :eek: Holy clear-as-day-vocals Batman! I thought we had decent sound cause I could actually hear Von and make out what he was singing (course it doesn't hurt that I know all the songs by heart) but where in the world did that come from?!

21 seconds is more than 0 seconds - thanks! :notworthy:

Floorshow sounds great - man now I really wish I would have gone to more than one - Minneapolis would have been doable but it is a longer drive than I would have liked - still if I had the time and money I would have done all the Midwest shows.
...with the wind in our face and our arms open wide...
dtsom
Slight Overbomber

whit 21 seconds i can see the show in minneapilis is one of the best in this tour so far

great guitar work and :von: ´s voice on top

i hope they kkep on whit it.....
2023: Los Ángeles,Las Vegas, Londonx2, Valencia Madrid, Lisbon, Porto, Bilbao
2024: Gent- Eindhoven - Lokeren - Madrid
Ghostrider
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

top class.. sounds like it was an amazing show.. i realy hope someone was able to record the entire thing.. :roll:
i don't sleep, so i don't dream, so i don't wake up frightened...
everything is what it seems, if you look hard enough tonight and see...
Methedrone
Amphetamine Filth

Ghostrider wrote:.. i realy hope someone was able to record the entire thing.. :roll:
dtsom wrote:dan hultman @ dominion mailing list:

Floorshow was updated with a phantom feel to it Von only sang half the words. Ill listen to it on the plane to Denver and then try to put down more...
Brad

I only took a couple of video clips as samples during the show unfortunately. But I just wanted to show how clear the vocals were at the gig.
Brad

Unfortunately the 21 second clip managed to exceed my bandwidth and crash my website for the day.

I will upload to youtube this evening instead.
Kattatonia_x
Amphetamine Filth

mh
Above the Chemist

Kattatonia_x wrote:http://www.megaupload.com/?d=97KIV97C

Enjoy ( :
:eek: :notworthy: :eek: :notworthy: :eek:

I am gonna be in serious trouble with my ISP for all the recent downloading! :lol:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
TheBoyNextDoor

Enjoy ( :
:notworthy: :kiss: :notworthy: :kiss: :notworthy:
Ratcatcher
Road Kill

Enjoy ( :
Yay! Thank you, saintly person.
CultureBully
Road Kill

We've got a review up over here with a few photos:

http://www.culturebully.com/the-sisters ... e-11182008

also - thanks for the megaupload link!
Ghostrider

Enjoy ( :
thanks.. but wow.. 576Mb.. huge file..
bismarck

It's funny, the vocals are so incredibly loud that it almost sounds unnatural. I mean, it's great that they've sorted it out. Upthread someone suggested that Dave The New Soundman put some monitors facing the audience to boost Andy's too-low vocals. Well, goddamn it, did it ever work! I think this new soundman is tops. The first few dates of the tour sounded so great, and then, when problems arose, he... wait for it... fixed them. Imagine that! During Silver Bullet 2006, the problems just persisted throughout the tour. I really hope they keep this dude at the knobs.

Oh, and about Floorshow. If memory serves, it was the only song that The Sisters played at every single gig they ever played from their birth through The Royal Albert Hall in June 85. I don't think they missed one gig. It's great to hear it back in the set. I sort of have the same issue I have with some of the other revived old songs, though: I love the new arrangements, but it'd be nice to hear them a bit longer. The songs are quite short now. I'm reminded of Burn in 2006, which, if I recall, was about 1:30. Of course, that allows us to hear more songs per set, which is great, and thank god we don't have to suffer through the entire Lucretia (for example), but wouldn't it be cool if we got long(er) versions of the best songs, like Train, Floorshow, and Temple Of Love. I'm sure people will disagree about which songs deserve full-length versions, but whatever.

Anyway, I think this incarnation of The Sisters is pretty great. I intended this to be a short post, but oh well.
The great questions of the day will not be
resolved by speeches and majority decisions,
but by iron and blood.
- Otto von Bismarck
Ghostrider

bismarck wrote: It's funny, the vocals are so incredibly loud that it almost sounds unnatural. I mean, it's great that they've sorted it out. Upthread someone suggested that Dave The New Soundman put some monitors facing the audience to boost Andy's too-low vocals. Well, goddamn it, did it ever work! I think this new soundman is tops. The first few dates of the tour sounded so great, and then, when problems arose, he... wait for it... fixed them. Imagine that! During Silver Bullet 2006, the problems just persisted throughout the tour. I really hope they keep this dude at the knobs.
i actually send Ben a note about this on his facebook a few days ago, just to let him know :von: was low in the mix..
The songs are quite short now. I'm reminded of Burn in 2006, which, if I recall, was about 1:30. Of course, that allows us to hear more songs per set, which is great, and thank god we don't have to suffer through the entire Lucretia (for example), but wouldn't it be cool if we got long(er) versions of the best songs, like Train, Floorshow, and Temple Of Love. I'm sure people will disagree about which songs deserve full-length versions, but whatever.

take away Corrosion.. that way you can play Burn, Floorshow, Logic and even another song at full length.... hell.; i'd pay hard cash for them to drop corrosion and repay by playing Burn, Floorshow, Logic and.; let's say Heartland in full length in the same set.. :lol:

ow.; and i dare Ben to convince :von: to play the old TOL version.. i'd love to hear the new boys do the intro.. :notworthy:
Ghostrider

:von: after Floorshow (which does end pretty sudden):

"a yeah, well.. once in a while.. "

"this is called Romeo Down,
it's a murder mistery without the murder..
or the mistery..

well ok.. just a bit of murder.."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :notworthy:..
Victim of Circumstance
Slight Overbomber

FLOORSHOW! :eek:

Finally my favourite Sisters track ever (besides Emma and Heartland) comes back to life, look even more forward to the European shows :D
Kommt Zeit,
kommt Rat,
kommt Attentat.