Q Magazine's Best Gothic Albums Of All Time(Dec 1999)

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
mh
Above the Chemist

dead inside wrote:I'd add Christian Death - everything! Period.
I wouldn't really agree I'm afraid, most of the Valor stuff is just horrible to me. Everything up to and including Atrocities maybe? Although whether Only Theater Of Pain can really be classified as "goth" is a moot point.

As for Nick Cave, if I was gonna add any of his stuff it would be Prayers On Fire, primarily for Ho-Ho. Groovy tune.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
MoonKnight
Road Kill

One last note about Dead Can Dance. Goth or not? Another controversial one. Fact: did influence the entire range of medieval/ambient goth.
.[/quote]

Ehm... sorry Miss-I-know-everything-better...
but don´t you think it´s kinda silly to discuss about what is goth, or pre-goth or hiphop-punkrock-speed-trash-goth or whatever????

If a band call themself gothband its goth, if they even would play Electric-Fado but they say its medieval-gothic-rock, nevermind, whatever anyone else think its sounds like... the band knows what they play.
its so silly to discuss whats true goth, and whats not, at least everyone listen to what they wanna listen and keep it under his/herself style...

Would you say CannibalCorpse isn´t really goth, its maybe true ehehe, but to discuss about what is what, its just silly and looks more you try to get a childish fight about "who-knows-it-better" and I think there´s no need to...

and that was just my personal opinion about "lets see what is what"...
Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

The Cult's "Love" is goth? I'm very confused. :?
Go to sleep now, Francis.
dead stars
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

MoonKnight wrote: Ehm... sorry Miss-I-know-everything-better...
but don´t you think it´s kinda silly to discuss about what is goth, or pre-goth or hiphop-punkrock-speed-trash-goth or whatever????
No, i don't think it's silly.
dead stars

Thrash Harry wrote:The Cult's "Love" is goth? I'm very confused. :?
Let me listen to it again one of these days then I'll let you know for sure. :wink:
dead stars

mh wrote:
dead inside wrote:I'd add Christian Death - everything! Period.
I wouldn't really agree I'm afraid, most of the Valor stuff is just horrible to me.
Ah! I prefer the Valor era. Definitely.
MoonKnight
Road Kill

dead inside wrote:
MoonKnight wrote: Ehm... sorry Miss-I-know-everything-better...
No, i don't think it's silly.

And I say it´s very childish and silly behavior... coz you don´t accept or tolerate other opinions... beeing stubborn make lonesome...

And btw when The Cult is anyway gothic, then are Slayer the godfathers of soul in my eyes LOL!!!
dead stars

dead inside wrote:
Thrash Harry wrote:The Cult's "Love" is goth? I'm very confused. :?
Let me listen to it again one of these days then I'll let you know for sure. :wink:
The Cult have always had a very unique and genuine sound. That's what made them great. "Love" is as goth as "Dreamtime", for what it's worth. If we turn at the early beginning, with "The Crypt", "All Glory", "Moya", well, is that goth?...
Certainly doesn't sound like the Sisters... :) But yes, it was in the lot. In Cult's very unique way. Remember they were never the drum machine/ bassline / low vocals band. They were caught in the movement because of their gloomy lyrics. (Although, we've said it once, the lyrics were never Cult's strongest capability but, yet, it still rocks).
MoonKnight
Road Kill

Seems someone has to listen The Cult again with eyes open... or just has a different taste to know whats strong lyrics or not...

Write some lyrics and write music (if you have the feeling for that), only then I will tolerate what nonsense you telling in here... just my opinion.... :wink:
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

Goth? Not Goth?

Please.... I wear a lot of black to work.I am not a goth.

I listen to music. Goth,..not goth?

DI,..What category would you put Lisa Maris Presley in? She sings of things that have hurt her. GotH? Rock?"
Pop? s**t?

Labels...

prejudiced. Bigot. f**k it.

I DONT TOLERATE LABELS ON MUSIC.

Planet.
ryan

thumbs up planet :D

glad im not the only one
zigeunerweisen

I like labels, makes it easier to find what i'm looking for in the supermarket
MoonKnight
Road Kill

zigeunerweisen wrote:I like labels, makes it easier to find what i'm looking for in the supermarket

Exactamente, but you are not so silly (like someone here) to teach anyone here, what is true gothic and whats not... I think only the band or the producers have the right to tell what is what...
And after all its up on the eyes (ears) of the viewers who listen it to think for themselfs what sounds like what...
To say own opinion is one thing, but to discuss and fight to force others to get your own opinion, its childish and has nothing to do anymore with music...
ryan

yeah, zigs post was completely out of order :wink: