Body Politic

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
abridged
Slight Overbomber

It occurred to me that the Sisters (in whatever) carnation were one of the finist political bands ever. From The Reptile House to Vision Thing Eldritch comments on the contemporary with wit and accuracy. I think sometimes this is forgotten in discussions. Valentine, Dr Jeep etc is as relevent as ever. Beats Mr Bragg et al at any rate!
The Chancer Corporation
sultan2075
Overbomber

I'm pretty sure Valentine is about vampires. And Dr. Jeep is also about vampires, but this time they're robotic vampires that hang out at the Sheraton.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Once read, I think in one of Mick Mercer's books, of someone thinking Floorshow was about covens...
The Chancer Corporation
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Robot vampires from outer space.

With laser beams.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
mh
Above the Chemist

Pfffft.

It's all Roadrunner cartoons! ;D

<---------------
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Robot vampire roadrunner cartoons?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
mh
Above the Chemist

From outer space. With lasers.

Glad we got that one sorted.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

cool :o

can i buy that on ebay?
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Spiggy the Vampire Killer? Ahem.
The Chancer Corporation
Dark
Underneath the Rock

I have heard far more political bands than the Sisters. They're okay, people, not the best at everything. :|

Christ, it's as bad as people claiming the Beatles invented heavy metal.. :roll:
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

This is, without shadow* of a doubt, the finest thread on the entire forum.

*Back to vampires again
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Dark wrote:I have heard far more political bands than the Sisters. They're okay, people, not the best at everything. :|

Christ, it's as bad as people claiming the Beatles invented heavy metal.. :roll:
like RATM or Serj Taknian and s.o.a.d.

the Beatles really invented heavy metal
mh
Above the Chemist

Quiff Boy wrote:cool :o

can i buy that on ebay?
Lesbian stripper ninja twin sister robot vampire roadrunner cartoons from outer space with lasers?

I'll buy 20! ;D
Qarly
Road Kill

I would like to one day find out that every Sisters song is really about waffles. Or alternately, marmalade.
"Since my earliest childhood a barb of sorrow has lodged in my heart. As long as it stays I am ironic
-- if it is pulled out I shall die."
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Ah What I was originally getting at, probably quite clumsily, was that in the midst of the arguments over the g-word and the like, the fact that Eldritch was essentially very political in his writing got overlooked mostly be lazy jpurnalists and sometimes fans. I remember seeing someone, at Wembley I think dragging a home-made coffin around. Everyone is allowed their own interpretation of course but some are just wrong. Yeah there are far more overtly political bands but generally they preach in a hectoring and incredibly dull manner. Ah, the Beatles invented bad haircuts.
The Chancer Corporation
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

abridged wrote:Ah What I was originally getting at, probably quite clumsily, was that in the midst of the arguments over the g-word and the like, the fact that Eldritch was essentially very political in his writing got overlooked mostly be lazy jpurnalists and sometimes fans. I remember seeing someone, at Wembley I think dragging a home-made coffin around. Everyone is allowed their own interpretation of course but some are just wrong. Yeah there are far more overtly political bands but generally they preach in a hectoring and incredibly dull manner. Ah, the Beatles invented bad haircuts.
Seeing the prices at Wembley for an overnight stay, I can't really blame someone to drag along his own accomodations...

japanese lesbian schoolgirl vampires with gatling guns for me please, takeaway

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
ZacheryAllanStarkey
Road Kill

I believe that Dominion/Mother Russia is one of the finest political songs ever written. The lyrics are incredibly dense, complicated, creative, and work on many different levels. I remember the first time I heard the song, I was blown away. I had to spend a good amount of time analyzing the lyrics. Its one of the finest comments on relations between Europe and the US.

I think Vision Thing is one of the best tunes ever written about George Bush 1. I remember Bush 1's presidency well, and the song Vision Thing captures how myself and other felt about him.

I always say the the intelligent, acute, and political nature of Eldritch's lyrics are exactly what seperates the Sisters of Mercy from being a crap Goth and and puts them in the same league with fine post punk bands such as New Order, the Smiths, Talking Heads, REM, Public Image Ltd., ect.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

And I believe that Burn is one of the finest songs ever written about waffles and marmalade.

But, to be fair, only two people have actually posted sensible replies to the original question. So yes, absolutely, at least in terms of general, non-partisan commentary. A lot of others are far more political but sometimes you wish they weren't.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
nodubmanshouts
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Sisters lyrics are easily compartmentalized:

Reptile House - all about Thatcherite Britain, speed, and his mummy.

FALAA - all about his mummy, speed and sex.

Floodland - all about the cold war, his mummy, sex, and Wayne.

Vision Thing - all about America, sex, mummy, and speed.

Everything else - all about speed, speed, more speed.... but above all... its about speed.

Compare and contrast with the m*****n:

Almost everything ever written - about sex.

What wasn't about sex - About Andrew.
sultan2075
Overbomber

He's got a mummy? Oh my word he is so goth. A vampire who owns a mummy! And sings songs about robotic space vampires.

He's even more frightening than Carl McCoy and Glenn Danzig combined!
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
silentNate

Qarly wrote:I would like to one day find out that every Sisters song is really about waffles. Or alternately, marmalade.
Isn't I Was Wrong about finding that your cheese on toast has a later of Marmite underneath? :?

I don't wanna talk this over
I don't wanna talk it out
I was quite impressed until I hit the floor
Isn't that what friends are for?
Pain looks great on other people
That's what they're for

;D
I had a face on the mirror
I had a hand on the gun
I had a place in the sun and a ticket to Syria
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

stufarq wrote:And I believe that Burn is one of the finest songs ever written about waffles and marmalade.
No, that one's about toast, obviously. Silly man. :roll: :P
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
randdebiel²

Quiff Boy wrote:cool :o

can i buy that on ebay?
sounds more like thinkgeek stuff
shiny, shiny, shiny boots of leather....
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

SINsister wrote:
stufarq wrote:And I believe that Burn is one of the finest songs ever written about waffles and marmalade.
No, that one's about toast, obviously. Silly man. :roll: :P
I think you'll find that waffles can be burned too. I have conducted many experiments to prove the case.
DancingtheGhost
Road Kill

Have to agree with nodubmanshouts on this one. Think he(or she) sums it up pretty well. Though some of the new songs are probably about sex, also. :lol:
I bled all I can, I won't bleed no more