Real One Player. Help!

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

Installed this cos, apparently, it's the best thing for playing junior's Total Guitar cds. I can live with the fact that it stomped all over QuickTime and Windows Media Player, but what I can't live with is that I can no longer surf and listen to a CD at the same. As soon as Real One kicks in, IE dies. Any suggestions? I'm on Windows 98 with IE6 and the latest Free download from the Real One site.

Thanks in advance. (Try not to get too technical though - I'm a simple Oracle Developer in real life).
Go to sleep now, Francis.
Big Si
School Bully

Thrash Harry wrote:Installed this cos, apparently, it's the best thing for playing junior's Total Guitar cds. I can live with the fact that it stomped all over QuickTime and Windows Media Player, but what I can't live with is that I can no longer surf and listen to a CD at the same. As soon as Real One kicks in, IE dies. Any suggestions? I'm on Windows 98 with IE6 and the latest Free download from the Real One site.

Thanks in advance. (Try not to get too technical though - I'm a simple Oracle Developer in real life).
I have the same problem! :evil:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
nearmethexperience
Sarky Git

if i was you, which i'm not, but lets play lets pretend for a moment, i'd get rid of real player (if it will allow you, some versions hang on like and std on a hooker) and get the .ram player for winamp... (and unlike the truth, it really is out there *points to far corner of the room*)

if you haven't already got winamp i suggest just getting ver 2 as it has a much much smaller memory footprint and basically does the job, ver 3 just seems to slow the entire system down. ho hum...
++++ All those of you who have tears, prepare to shed them now... ++++
Thea
Overbomber

*nod* winamp2 rocks, winamp 3 isjust plain annoying. although i do like "happy language"
Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

Thanks NME. I'll give it a whirl. A digital camera, eh. Look forward to seeing you in the Photo Gallery then.
Go to sleep now, Francis.
dead stars
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

One I downloaded Real One Player, didn't like it one bit, uninstalled it and downgraded to Real Player 8.
It's more controlable.
I also have winamp, Window Media Player, Quick Time, so sometimes it gets difficult to understand which is causing what... :innocent:
Dan
Overbomber

Sounds like realone has made itself the default player for more filetypes than you really want. You only want it the default player for .rm / .ram files, everything else should play in winamp / media player / quicktime. You need to let your other players take back control of their respective filetypes. Within realone's menu's theres a list of filetypes and which ones are default, you need to find that and untick the bloody lot, except .rm and .ram files.

There's a winamp plugin that allows winamp to play realmedia files, but don't uninstall realone as winamp needs to be able to access it's files to be able to play realmedia.